Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

This is a great thread and has brought back many,many memories for me!
    Jim

2. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Hi.....As soon as I get my early engine tech book back from another IHRA tech offical I will have all of the engine spec's for the early Jr. stockers. Even the blown 57 Fords and 49 Olds are in there. I loaned it to him a few years ago so he could inspect the "Pure Stock" class cars that showed up. He still has it and if and when Alex Denysenko (Money Maker Racing) and myself are able to get a new sportsman association up and running there will be a place for the old cars in stock eliminator to run if anyone is interested.

3. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

I just had my first 'Bee On Video' experience, courtesy of Jim Amos Productions.

Just last week I sent Jim a few hundred feet of my old (62-66) 8 mm Drag-Racing footage and yesterday I got it back along with the DVD conversion. Jim graciously included a few of his offering along with my DVD.

Last night I viewed (1 hour, 56 min) of the 'NHRA Springnationals 1965 - 1968.' Having been there, I 'pretty much' had an idea what the footage would be like, but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality-level of the production. The many interviews Jim conducted ... Ronnie Sox, Hubert Pratt, Ron Mancini, Jack Werst, etc., were 'worth the price of admission.'

Jim even filmed an 'on location' (narrated) short piece as he took a leisurely drive from the staging lanes to (1/2+ mile away) the 'emergency sand trap' at the very end of Bristol's 'Thunder Valley.' What a great idea!

Kudos Jim!

*Contact Jim @ [email protected] (http://beeonvideo.homestead.com/ ) or call him @ (866) 385-2025

Attached Files:

4. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

5. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,
    Happy to hear that everything worked out okay with Jim.
    Bob Rice

6. 57 delivery

57 delivery
    from Edgely,Pa.

Did you nail those Hydros from Craigslist????

7. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

working on it

8. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

9. Wagonkiller- we had the same issues with the bumpers on the In-Bomber. There a little rusty in spots but personally I would rather see the rusty original bumper that ran down the strip than a fresh shiny one that was made in japan! We're keeping our bumpers, but having the wheels re-chromed. Only problem is all the chromers I'm calling don't want to work on steel wheels.
    -Dean

10. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

got Questions and additions to this thread. I spent some time at Englishtown between '71 to'the end of '76 so I saw the cars of Mr's Mackey , Mason and Markyac. SO here goes. Mark,did'nt you or your chevelle wagon win the points race there in '73? Mr. Mackey,what happened to your wagon? And MR Mason, what were you running at that time?

11. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

A few names to add to the list:Ray Golonka '57 210. Still racing.Indy class winner. 1970.
    Rich Diorio '56 210. Still racing with the same car.

12. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

My first live exposure to the Jr. Stock and Super Stock universe was at the '68 Super Stock Nationals and the thing I really liked about them then and still do was/is the suspension actions. High lifting front ends, wrinkling slicks.

13. Joe Santangelo, who owned the Chevelle, was R/U at the 73 E-town Divisional to Ed Hamburger. I was the semi-finalist at the Summernat's in '72 with the same car.

14. All's I got to say to that is..........Amen, brother!!

15. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Oh i plan on useing them the bumperettes? or whatever the hell ya call them are pretty rusty on the front one and they are scrapped up good to
    they really don't look bad,for how they looked before i started.

was lookin on ebay at grilles last nite OMG those are expensive,however there is a NICE used one i may bid on.then the moulding at the bottom of the grille COST almost as much as the whole grille! lol

:cool:

16. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

One of my closest friends is restoring a '56 Bel Air 2dr HT that has been disassembled for over 30 years. He told me that he spent over $2000 on the grille & front trim. I think the grille is stainless and was around $500. He had trouble finding a rear bumper, but found a new one in FL. I imagine it is an off shore piece.

17. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

The image of Ralph's car graphically illustrates one of the (then, soon to be dropped) 'hated' requirements imposed on early Jr. Stock racers.

Ralph's Cuda had to be equipped with a complete ('theoretically' functional) exhaust system!

[​IMG]

18. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

19. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

I thought the car Hamburger was driving puked it's driveshaft? At '75 Summers you had a '64 Nova wagon up for sale.I asked you your price and you told me $3500. I thought that was a lot of money at that time being in my early 20's.

20. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

So Bill, What do you think his winnings consisted of?
    Let me guess ... a trophy, a class-winner decal and a can of STP!

21. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

No class designation on this Corvette but judging from the slicks I would say that it was a Stocker.
    [​IMG]

22. 442Mike

442Mike

Colesy, where do you get these Olds pics from!?? Got any more of Keith Berg?

23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

These photos were taken during the time I was out of the country. Never heard of George Vestal. Being from Hockessin, DE, he must have been one of Alex's neighbors. Al Lewis and Leonard Bennett were regulars at Delmar. "Pop" Buckles was also a regular and raced several cars including an early Olds. Don't know if he was "Bobby" of if that was his son.

24. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

John Burkholder started B&B Performance Products and moved to CA. I think he may have still been in the Wilmington area in 1970 when he was running a '69 Z-28 in G/S.

25. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Here are a couple items that I pulled out of my "stuff" tonight.

Attached Files:

• LAW.jpg
      LAW.jpg
      File size:
      51.6 KB
      Views:
    • JayW.jpg
      JayW.jpg
      File size:
      44.8 KB
      Views:
  26. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Hope I haven't posted these before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. jrstock55

jrstock55
    from Pa

B&B Performance had an east coast distribution address of Newark Delaware into the mid 1990's even though the company was located in CA. I never knew it had roots in Burkholder's JR Stock days! The Delaware address for B&B was on Limestone Road, about 1 mile from Alex Jerrell's farm and 2 miles from Fred Borcherdts's shop on Paper Mill Road. Lots of JR Stock history in this part of the East Coast!

jrstock55

28. John Mackey

John Mackey

When I broke the frame in the wagon for the 3rd time I stripped it and sent it to the junk yard gold leaf lettering and all. I did save the nose and front doors and put on what would become the Car Craft (SS/STREET EAST)Project car. Today I still have the rear window from the wagon with a few stickers still on it.

29. biscaynes

biscaynes

wow, where'd you find that colsey? i remember that from years ago.

30. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Colesy, Is that WILLARD Wright?

[​IMG]