Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Has anyone chopped a 1955 Buick Special 4 Door (post)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51ChevPU, Jan 8, 2009.

1. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I have a chance to pick up a 55 Buick special 4 door with the post and I'm was hoping someone has done a chop on one so that I can get some idea of how it will look. If someone has the talent to photoshop one and post it for us, that would be great. I have seen Grunion's 4 door on the HAMB. It's been dropped , but not chopped. Any help in this department would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Its not much of an improvement considering the amount of work it would be. I´d leave it.

[​IMG]

3. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Thanks James D. You do some great photoshop work. I'm working on my 51 Chevy sport coupe you did for me a few months back. Thank you....

4. Rikster

Rikster

Some photos I found on the internet some time ago... Heavy chop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Ooof! Heavy chop indeed.

6. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

A picture is worth a thousand words. I think your much better off leaving the roof alone and finding other little ways to make it you own. The car James D posted looks way better than the one Rickster found. I think that is the only picture Rick has ever posted that I haven't liked.

7. Hows it coming along?

8. Rikster

Rikster

Ha ha.. thats funny!
    I know its not my favortie either. But its a sample how it could look.

Here is an article on chopping same year Oldsmobile... all scans by Paul Kelly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Rikster

Rikster

Larry Erickson designed this Buick for himself...
    Jim Bailie did the body work.

Scans by Paul Kelly...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  10. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

Well I've started to tear into the 51 and I'm using your photoshop of my car as a guide. I have some body work to do and will be using a 86 Jag IFS. At the rear, simply a nova rear end and spring change with blocks. Thanks again for the guidance on the 55 buick.....I think I'll leave the top as is and lower it similarly to the way Grunion did his.

All's well

11. bloodyknucklesslc

bloodyknucklesslc

That bare metal car is mine. I chopped it 6 in all the way around. But I cheated. It is acrylic front and rear. My glass was busted up front and rear so I said fuck it and cut it up. I did that a few years back, and looking back now I would have used glass. It kinda tuff with that heavy of a chop. As far as chops go it really was not too difficult. I had a donor four door to use for the roof skin and any other part we had to modify. Its widened about three inches all the way through. We have a bunch more pics of some more chops we have done recently. Including a 59 cad four door that we are using origonal glass all the way around. www.bloodyknucklesslc.com hit me up if you have any questions.

12. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

buicks are nice cars as is..they just need to be smoothd out and a mild chop. im going 3f and 4r on my 51 special.

13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just my opinion, but I don't think every car needs to be chopped or looks good chopped.

14. bloodyknucklesslc

bloodyknucklesslc

I see no point in chopping a car mildly, all that work for a small change is silly. In the words of Chopper Reid "harden the fuck up!"

15. belair

belair

My first thought was "no way", but after seeing bloodyknuckesslc car, I can't say that. It looks great. However, too much work for a guy like me, and I do really love those Buicks stock. I have a 55 ht. One thing that i think would help clean it up is to put a one piece rear passenger windows. That looked good on Bloody's, and really helps 49-51 2 door sedan Fords too.

16. McTullis

McTullis

I love the way it is from the factory. The roof height perfectly balances the body. I would never take a saw to any part of mine. That's just me though.

17. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

All depends on what you are looking for.

I prefer mild changes on a custom to improve the lines of the car. The hard chops seem to be an "in your face" statement.

I took 2 inches out of a Merc. If I did it again, I would take out less. Too mild for some.

There are a lot of each style so back to the old saying "to each his own".

Neal

18. Davester

Davester
    from PDX

19. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

It all depends on whether you want to improve the lines of the car or just be "badass".

In the past few years, I've seen more and more cars that are completely fucked proportion-wise by builders wanting "badass" rather than improved.

What's even sillier is all that work to chop grandma's car. Seriously, a four-door Buick?

20. bloodyknucklesslc

bloodyknucklesslc

Whats wrong with a four door? Its a big ass car that I can pile all my friends in and still have room even with that chop. I dont build cars to impress any one. I just happen to like heavy chops and layed out big ass cars. I have chopped cars of all types some heavy others mild. We kinda focous on the heavier end of things more often than not.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always felt that chopping should improve the lines and look of the car or truck and not make it look squished.

On the Buick 4 door, Isn't a hardtop windshield a couple of inches shorter than the sedan? Yep it would be a lot of work but just that bit would improve the lines and really have people guessing.

22. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

i have a 55 roadmaster 4 door....and i have to say...it isnt a car that i would want to chop. Most of the pictures posted on here so far (and this is one mans thought) dont really improve anything with the car. the stock lines, especially on a special and great, I would consider the following before chopping the car:

remove port holes and lower the car. you will be amazed at what you end up with.

after i lowered my buick it TOTALLY changed the entire appearance of the car.

But if you're ambitious enough to chop the land yacht which is that buick...GOOD LUCK AND POST PICTURES!

23. bloodyknucklesslc

bloodyknucklesslc

well at least some one else understands it.

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

remove the port holes? step away from the Buick and go get yourself a damn Chevy.... :eek:

25. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

lets not start this....hahahaha

the portholes on my buick are still there...but let me tell ya...that the wonderful buick sweeping side trip sure looks a lot better without those portholes....

26. bloodyknucklesslc

bloodyknucklesslc

I concure. Port holes are my favorite part of the buick!

27. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

alright you bastardos!, im gonna start diggin through my old rodding and restyling mags and fire up the scanner so i can show you this damn buick without the portholes im talking about!! :p

28. bloodyknucklesslc

bloodyknucklesslc

I will tell ya, I cant stand seeing those lame ass "port hole" stick ons that every one and their dog has stuck to their fenders.

29. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

HAHAHA! that i will agree 100% with you on there brother!

anyways...here is that buick, and you cannot deny the beauty of this car
    [​IMG]

30. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA