Register now to get rid of these ads!

Was your backyard paintjob worth it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Mar 28, 2009.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

QUESTION: Does waterborne paint have the resistance to fading by the sun and durability of single stage, 2-stage or Urethane paints?

2. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

The clear provides all that stuff, same as with BC/CC

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Backyard paintbooths are cheap, scrap 2x4's and a roll of clear plactic, keep the paint birdshit proof.

Attached Files:

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

5. joel torres

joel torres

i ignore people with comments like that
    i have very tuff skin
    anyways the JEEP i own is a 1990 suzuki sidekick js model
    which i imported from japan a long time ago my uncle who since passed had connection in the import export i was on a trip and saw it for sale i had to have it its rear wheel drive only posi and when my airbags are in she layes frame on the floor
    and uses no gas but its freaky quick when i need it
    i converted it left hand drive as it was spooky at the time which i regret since i lost the right hand drive stuff with the exwife :mad: who threw it out on propose but she got it worse in return:D anyways

6. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

7. It really does depend on what result you want as well.

[​IMG]before
    [​IMG]
    during
    [​IMG]
    after

2 quarts of Royal Blue Rust-o-leum and a 2 1/2 inch roller and now I can focus on brakes, suspension and interior without worrying about where my fenders are disappearing to.

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Money ain't the reason to do it yourself. There's always a way to hustle a discount paint job thru your redneck internet. Surely you know a guy that knows a guy that'll hook you up with acceptable quality for a couple hundy over materials.

You do it yourself to fully control the quality and schedule. Otherwise just pay somebody. It's cheaper in the longrun.

9. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

All of mine were better than ok, some pretty damn good, except for when I destroyed my wifes 86 Firechicken with some blue pearl....

After many, many, years she does not quite let me forget that.... :D

10. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

i painted the cab of my truck in a buddies garage and the rest of it in my front yard(in dusty ass arizona) after a good cut and buff it came out pretty damn good paints nice and smooth. my body work could definatly be better but its not that bad, no one else seems to notice.

i had about 1000 into it by the time i was done, with bondo, sand paper, tape, masking paper, couple jars of flake and 2 and a half gallons of clear. (i cleared the whole thing to bury the flake, cut it, and cleared it again so it would have a nice strong finish on it. looks good now)

11. 53210

BANNED
    from canada

We spray Sikkens,and offer lifetime warranty on the finish(same as solvent based paints before it).The U.V protection is in the clear,the new clears are extremely pricey $800-$1000 retail a gallon for kit up here in Canada,but it makes 2 gallons sprayable.
    Most my personal cars have been sprayed in a barn out @ my dad's farm,and wouldn't have it any other way.It's cool to show up at a show and say it was sprayed in a barn.
    Some barn fresh jobs(not most of your guys' style,but hey)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  12. 53210

BANNED
    from canada

I will be spraying the final coats of clear on this one in my booth @ work,just because I hate polishing,especially on this car with all the corners and edges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

This was painted with Kirker paint by a retired body man that swore by the quality of the paint and ease of use. I also had local body men view the truck and they were quite impressed as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Tony

Tony

This was my first paint job on my 53 Chevy, shot it in my buddy's shop with a makeshift paint booth. Absolutely a garage paint job.
    I saved myself a TON of money by doing the body and paint work myself, and learned a lot in the process. I probably have less than 2K invested in everything and if i had to pay to have it done to come out like it did it would have probably been 5 times that..
    Now i do all my own paint and body work and learn more everytime.
    Well worth it in the long run..
    But like has been mentioned, it's MESSY as hell!

Tony

Attached Files:

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I have to paint my truck gloss black, just cause it was gloss black and I dont want to change the color. I use it for towing/Lowes/landscaping yard so Im going to get the major dents out but the truck will get beat on, I just hate the faded hood/roof.

16. I did this for my dad last year and we both thought it turned out great. It was my very first time:rolleyes:. Of course it was very cheap as he worked at a parts store so.... Anyway, a lot of folks thought it looked good too. I agree if it's what you want then go for it.

And obviously it's not perfect but it sure was fun and I learned a lot.

Attached Files:

17. To Tall

To Tall

a jeep is a trade mark for a vehicle called a jeep
    As far as I remember jeep never made a geo or a Suzuki so what ever that
    Open roof Japanese factory made mistake is in that photo that I can not believe you posted on the H.A.M.B it is not a jeep. freaky and spooky yes but not a jeep
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

18. To Tall

To Tall

o yea: i have had frends that used maaco and it turnend out ok base coat clear coat and had it color sanded and buffed out buy someone else. looked good
    just make shure thay use enough clear so you can sand out the orange peal

19. H3O

H3O

if you love your car, paint it yourself before taking it to maaco. maaco sucks. bad prep and job.

a lot of cars i've seen done by the average joe does a decent job. depends on what you're lookin to do with the car. if you want a nice weekend car or driver, do it yourself. but if you want a show car, get someone else to do it. i say go with it.

20. rodknocker

rodknocker

There is nothing fishy about the spraying it off with a hose, keeping mind the panel was just sprayed. Try it at work, spray a junk panel, and a minute later hose it off.Dry it with a rag, and spray it again. True what you say about the airflow, we're changing our filters every month. As for the fading in the sun, it won't fade, there is no lead in the paint to break down. Again, I'm not the painter just the messanger, but I have seen him spray the panel off.

21. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

I did my 54 for around $150. Thats including base(rustoluem), clear and all the supplies. Check out my pics on my page.

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

So today I was at Maaco picking up a truck for work and I grabbed a copy of their "warranty" explanation. I was a bit surprised reading it. I figured that maybe some of you advocating doing the body and prep yourselves and having Maaco (or the like) shoot it would want to know how far behind their work they stand. Might make the backyard paint job seem a little more tasty.

And BTW, I'm not trying to put Maaco down or promote sending your car to a shop. I'm just putting the info out there as it is for anyone to read.

Basically, if you don't complain about your car the day you pick it up, they are free and clear on any workmanhip not mentioned in the warranty. So any runs, sand throughs, dry spots, or imperfections in workmanship is waived.

They cover replaced OEM panels from rust for 1 year, aftermarket or used panels for 90 days.

Any panels repaired are covered for 1 year against the bodywork cracking, shrinking, or swelling. THEY OFFER NO WARRANTY ON THE PAINT ON ANY PANEL REPAIRED BY THE CUSTOMER!!

Any rust repairs are covered for 90 days. No surface reconditioning will be provided unless it is specified in the estimate.

An anti cracking or peeling warranty is offered only to customers who elect to have the car completely stripped. This warranty lasts 3 years. If the panel isn't completely stripped, you have no warranty against adhesion.

Color match is only warranted to meet the customer's acceptance uopn delivery of the vehicle. After that its fair game?

On a complete paint service, minor imperfections such as scratches and chips may be visible under the new paint unless they are noted to be repaired by the owner. They will take care to minimize any dust while the paint is curing, but minimal amounts of dust are inherent to the process.

Again just putting this out there. This isn't word for word, but I'm paraphrasing and not exagerating.

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You've gotta be kidding me. No warranty against adhesion if the car isn't completely stripped?!? Who knew they even offered that?!? It'd have to cost eleventy five thousand dollars to have them do that.

Thanks for the heads up, slowandlow! I'd always assumed those warranties were useless, but I'd never seen the fine print that explains exaclty how they don't cover a damn thing!

24. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

Dude, Maaco sucks. It's that simple. I have seen about 2 or 3 decent jobs from any of those places and they were only decent because the guy knew the painter or the manager or something so they did an ok job. Do yourself a favor, find a buddy who knows what he is doing and have him give you a few pointers or pay him for a couple hours of help. Do the shit work like sanding and taping yourself and have him help shoot it.
    I found an older guy to help me do a truck once. He schooled me on sanding/stripping then a few weeks later he gave me the scoop on filler and sanding and priming. Then he came back and help me correct any problems and get it ready to shoot. They he squirted it. It came out nice and straight. After a sand and buff it was nearly perfect. As time went on I did a few more. Now I feel like an old pro. Everyone of those jobs was done in a crappy dirty garage and they all look way better than any Maaco job ever would.
    It's in the prep and cleanliness of the car and space as much as in the fact that you took the time to do it yourself. You'll be happier if you do it.

Oh, It'll cost you over $1000 when your done. Just so you know. That is unless you buy all the cheapest supplies ever.

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

when it comes time to paint mine I have a friend that paints.
    And a Brother of a good friend that does this for a living.
    Im going to have them teach me what they know and show me and teach me what they can (or more like what i can learn from them)
    and go from there..Hope it turns out ok. Time will tell

26. paddo

paddo

i did the paint on my ute. i was 17 at the time (mid 2008) having only done about an hour worth or spray painting before at work painting shed columns and stuff. i spent about 400 (AUD) and im happy with how it came out. im swapping a few panels over with another set i have and im about to paint them aswell not because the paint was bad but because a few spots on the panels i wasnt happy with and i have another set of panels.

mine was deffinately worth it it would have cost me 3 times as much to get it done, at least.
    good luck mate

27. Truckedup

Truckedup

I painted a few of my old trucks and they looked pretty good.Lately I sprayed my El Camino with urethane satin black and the paint job had variations in the gloss.After asking about it here,it seems my painting skills are a bit lacking.But it looks ok I suppose and other people think it looks fine.Or they are just trying to be nice;)

28. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finishing has been the base practice of my 30+ years in cars. I gotta say that it's the dustyest, dirtyest, finger bleeding, sticky, nasty smelling, most mis-understood, often ill-applied, more often disrespected, and almost always "...I wanna do it..." aspect of a special build. Does that sound harsh? Maybe a bit but everyone on here that's done it for any length of time can relate to it. It's an ego driven practice and in order to excell at it that's what it takes. I knew a guy who did his own because he just didn't want to pay. In 3-4 years he became quite a craftsman at laying down a great surface and was in demand by those who know what it takes and costs. The upside to it is that everything you do is instant gratification. No matter what it is the finish is the 1st thing that sets the tone of how the car is viewed.

Do it. Be ready to accept the outcome and don't cheat anywhere. Don't over sand any fillers or panels. Take your time, a nice steady pace, read all the directions and tech sheets. Wet your finished panels with wax and grease remover to "read" the final surface. When checking the surface a light touch and look away from it will reveal highs n lows. Step back and look at the surface from a distance. There's a major difference in a flat panel and a shiney one. Safety is a major concern. Just be logical on that score. Paint shit is combustible, even bondo dust. A pro never forgets that but if you don't live it daily it's easy to make a mistake. Keep the pot life of mat'ls in your mind and don't forget to clean up immediately to avoid hours of gun repair/cleaning. Stay focused, see it through, don't leave plastic fillers unsanded overnight or you'll deserve what you have to do to level it. Gun control is paramount. Just like weapons, gun control is a steady hand. If you want it bad enough you'll get a professional looking job you can be proud of, and maybe even a new craft. Anyone that says it's easy is lying. Anyone that says they never make errors or mistakes at it is lying worse. Good luck with it. Like many on the board here I'll be happy to answer anything you might like to know.

29. BlueOvalCertified

BlueOvalCertified
    from Minnesota

I always wanted to try but most posts say that it can't be done. Now that I have some positives on doing myself I think I might give it a shot. Most posts say mat. 1000 dollars and basic shop price 5-6k. THAT MEANS I GET 5-6 CHANCES!?!?!? Wish me luck.

30. william sekulich

william sekulich

just used the summit single stage flat black urathane . it was cheap under 100.oo with hardner i think and layed out nice . i am a body man painter at the local ford dealer and i liked it. some advise is if you add extra hardner it gets a little shine more like semi gloss so if your going to paint the doors today and the fenders tomorow you need to mix it perfect or the color wont match . hope this helps