Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Povertyflats and McPherson College student team up to build modified roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, Apr 1, 2009.

1. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

So my young friend Tim from Nevada (tbraginton on the Hamb) is here in Kansas going to school at the well known McPherson College to earn a degree in Automobile Restoration and has been to visit me a few times. He is just itching to build a hot rod but that's hard to do on a college budget. He is the same age as my own college son (Kevin) who has no interest in cars at all. He was asking me the other day if I had a roadster cowl and Model A frame for sale and I told him I was keeping that stuff for my own projects. But after talking it over with Mrs. Povertyflats for a couple days I decided to make him an offer he couldn't refuse. I will donate the parts to build a car and he will do all the work. He can play with it until he gets out of school (he only has one more year) and then we will sell the car and split the money 50/50. Since I am not a car builder myself, I can benefit as well by using his labor. Should be a win win situation for us both. Anyway, young Tim gets to build whatever he wants. He is the designer and builder. I furnish the parts and the dough (until I run out). My only requirement is that he does not build a rat rod. I want it to be safe and period correct with paint on it of some kind. Will we succeed or fail? Probably doesn't really matter as long as we have fun and maybe both of us will learn something. Stay tuned.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Tonight we got together and mocked up some parts in my shed. May not even use any of this stuff. We were just messing around. Here is Tim and some of the parts.<center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

page 3 more photos <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

4. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Here is a photo of me counting my cash to see if this project was possible. Probably ought to just sell this stuff up front and quit while we are ahead! <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

More photos of some of the parts. I have a big selection of tires and wheels and a ton of wire wheels too. He can use whatever he wants. I have gotten alot of good parts from my friend John (prototypedesignflauz on the Hamb) lately in some trades we have done. Thanks, John! <center>
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    [​IMG]<br /><br />
    </center>

6. 416Ford

416Ford

Sound like a great plan. And you do seem to come up with some nice parts now and then. Or should I say all the time.

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

use that worthless Olds you were showing off last night! Or how about a freshly built 348 Chevy...I even know where to get a tri-power setup

8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is lucky to have a mentor to help guide him . Its good of you to lend him a hand.

9. jeenyus

jeenyus
    from MN

I love McPherson! Planning on going there after next year.

10. I like the sound of this. I believe the old should help the young.

11. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I would try to keep it on a real low budget and use all the parts that you dont have lots of plans for and while you learn and he builds.

Suprise him at grad time and just give him the car.

12. rick finch

rick finch

You are to be commended! This is a very cool thing you are doing, SALUTE!!!!

13. jeenyus

jeenyus
    from MN

Yup, been there already and met most of the board members. Working on portfolio now and all that other jazz. Also good job on lending out a hand, I know I enjoy it when I receive it.

14. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Way to go. Love the car.

15. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Jeenyus shoot me a PM if you have any questions or concerns. MAC is a great school and I'm excited to hear there might be another HAMBer coming this way!

O and here's a big THANK YOU!!! to Paul for giving me this awesome opportunity. so lets hear you're opinions where should I go with the design??? lets see some pics or hear your ideas I'd love some input...

16. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Good on ya Paul for helping the young man out !!!!!
    Looks like he is already a talented hot-rod builder. Car looks good. Gary

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  17. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

WOW ....... It's good to see people STILL give back to the "sport".

You da man!

Good luck.

Paco aka/ ratty 46

18. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Sure seems to be some nice people around lately!

19. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I look forward to corrupting the youth of the world sometime soon in the future. Momma Gozt and I are wanting to do foster care in a few years, and I hope to pass the bug onto some of these kids who need 'something' like this in their lives. Should be an awesome way to connect with a youngster.

I applaud you sir. However, I look for young Tim to purchase the car for himself. That too would be awesome.

20. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

wow cool deal, where were you when i was a college punk.

21. rodncustom

rodncustom

Very cool of you! Can't wait to see the progress.

22. andrewt2

andrewt2
    from Topeka, KS

Im from out around topeka and would love to go to macpherson myself. its to bad your boy has no interest in cars but at least you found someone that does. enjoy this project im sure something really great will come of it.

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Awesome man.....you have a great heart. By the way where does a guy like me get some cool bucket seats like those?

24. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

They are old office chairs of some kind... I've seen another pair that were just about identical and he got them at a yard sale. These came from e-bay

25. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

I'm gonna start calling you quick draw Paul!

26. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Man I hope your son doesn't find out about this he might get kind of jealous!

27. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Don't know what I've got that you could use but if you need anything we can help with, drop me a PM.

Both of my boys are into it and having a fun time!!

28. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Just remember when you think of how cool this is that there are probably some young guys hanging around your area looking for a way to get into this hobby... Let 'em turn a wrench and you might just change their life forever!

29. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

paul! you rule bud! :)

30. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

^^^^^ x2