Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stator from motorcycle/ boat instead of alternator???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bibb86, Mar 31, 2009.

1. bibb86

bibb86

I have done some searching to see if anyone has used a stator on a car instead of an alternator. I found one thing and it is a racemate but i think it is out of production. I had an old tractor that had a stator on it and it was crap and boats also run them but haven't seen them on cars, might be because they do not have the output. But in the case on a hotrod i would be running an electric fan ignition and a few lights. I have to think that with all the electronics that modern day Harleys are running that a stator from a v-rod or a 225 mercury outboard would run my electronics. thoughts??

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

All alternators have a stator and a rotor. The difference is that on your motorcycle or boat the unit is directly mounted coaxial with the crankshaft. Like on a Model T, with the magnets on the flywheel spinning past coils.

You can do this but you will be sacrificing output power. Alternators put out a lot more juice at higher rpms; that's why they are geared up in your car (larger diameter pulley on the crank than on the alternator). You can compensate somewhat by using more magnets/coils, but to fit them in the overall diameter gets larger so you are not gaining anything. If you are thinking of using something like a Harley setup, you can try but the packaging will not be pretty and the output constrained. Cars need more amps than motorcycles -twice as many lamps and blower motors, etc.

The same goes with an outboard motor setup, like from that Mercury O/B. The overall diameter will be quite large so you probably will not be able to mount it on the snout, you will have to build it into the flywheel.

To conclude, it can be done but you might not be happy with the results.

3. ...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  4. Drive an Alt off the rear of the block like the Green grenade........you have been grasping in threads today for ideas, here is another one. Search Loudpedal.

5. bibb86

bibb86

yea my thought was to do it on the water pump some how just thought it would be easier to do if someone else has already done it. I think i would only need about 35-50 amps because i wouldnt be running a lot of stuff. what do you think 31vicky?

6. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

The alternator on the 2000-up HD FL models puts out 100 amps IIRC. They are about 6" dia X about 2" wide, with a 2" plus denter diameter. They turn at crankshaft speed, and should work fine on the waterpump of a car engine.

7. bibb86

bibb86

do yo have any ideas on how to mount everything up also if i was to use the one of the FL what would i need to come up with to make it work beside the obvious. any extras?

8. ....

9. ...