Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did I kill the trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopped, Mar 30, 2009.

1. chopped

chopped

Broke a line on a th350. Ran out of forward motion the same time I could find a place to pull over. Went from I think it may be slipping to no forward power in about 45 seconds. Came back in the AM and replaced line,put 5 qts. in it and drove home. Trans is a fresh rebuild with less than 100mi. Any chance it survived? Remaining fluid was red and didn't smell burned. I had it reved up pretty high at the end tyring to make a spot to get off the no shoulder 4 ft drain ditch country road.

2. If it acted alright when you drove it home I'd assume it was OK. ??

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

should be ok, as long as you didn't just burn the shit out of it when it quit pulling.

4. btmatt

btmatt

If the pump is not "whining" your OK

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

fluid smelled ok, then it probably survived, only will time will tell.

6. I had a 727 in a Dodge that was run so low that at least twice it quit going due to low fluid pressure. I changed the fluid and it was fine, more or less, the 1000 miles or so I drove it before I bought something else. It did shift a little odd, but it also had .. I dunno, 90,000 miles on it too.

You might drop your pan and check for debris or metal shavings in it, but odds are if you fixed it and it drove okay it will be fine.

7. chopped

chopped

Thanks for the input, I'll sleep a little better tonight.

8. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Heat is what kills them,

Letting it sit over night and letting it cool down was probably the best thing that

could of happened to help the problem ............

Just check the fluid level again to make sure its topped off good..

you maybe O.K.

9. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

shouldnt the fact that you drove it home answer your question?

10. You would know if it got nuked, pretty sure it would be ok

11. chopped

chopped

What I was afraid of was that I had shortened the lifespan to maybe 10 miles, and I drove 8 home.

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'd drop the pan and change the filter, just to make sure that there are no metal shavings in there. Fresh fluid and off you go. You should be OK

13. I had that happen to a TH400 a long time ago, and I had to put about 6 quarts of fluid in it to get it back home after fixing the line. It was fine for probably another 5 years before I sold it. Never had any problems and shifted nice and firm. So you're probably okay.

Did you leave a nice long trail of transmission fluid on the road? That trail that I left was a couple of blocks long, and I could see the trail for about the next year on my commute home every day. It makes old asphalt look nice and black.

14. chopped

chopped

Did you leave a nice long trail of transmission fluid on the road? That trail that I left was a couple of blocks long, and I could see the trail for about the next year on my commute home every day. It makes old asphalt look nice and black.[/QUOTE]

Went back , just like you said and it's going to remind me all summer!

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Don't be suprised if it craps in a couple years instead of going the distance. Also don't be suprised if it craps in the next 500 miles. But if it makes a week or two of driving you can quit sweating.

Good luck

16. I had a hose blow off, my daily driver barge ,
    sitting at a traffic light, emptied the trans before the light went green.

Towed it home, got rid of the shitty imported hose clamps,
    filled it with fluid, and no problems since. That was at least 3 years ago.

17. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I emptied the fluid at interstate speeds and did not kill one. It is probably fine.