Register now to get rid of these ads!

What a find! Bentley. Not a ROD, but a piece of history.. PICs inside. Enjoy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kreal, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

If you mean my post,google 'Jumbo Goddard' and you will find that the above has never been restored.It has been constantly modified from 1928 until Jumbo died in 1983 ,and then raced by Stanley Mann until the late 90's. You will also find that Jumbo the man was never one to take anyone seriuosly and was the quintessential Aussie.

2. reefer

reefer

That looks more like a Hot Rod than 50% of the stuff on here....

3. Kreal

Kreal

4. David Walter

David Walter
    from Troy,Al

NOT a ROD! Well it could be!!!

Attached Files:

5. mrdodge

mrdodge

6. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

7. 36C8

36C8

Nice car.
    Seriously, you talk like no 22 year old I've ever met. "Gifted to it's caretaker", "wanted one since I was a kid" ...A Bentley Sedan? Smarter 20-something then I was, for sure (probably smarter than me now!).
    When I was 22 I was into boobs and speeding. At the same time sometimes.

8. Homemade44

Homemade44

Your Bentley appears to be a 55 or 56. Most of the Right hand drive cars had yellow tail lights and the left hand drive had red tail lights. Both would fade over time. Never saw one with totally clear lenses. No power stearing indicates early production. Also less heater controls and bypass valves on the head. What is the serial number on the tag on the firewall?

Joe

9. 5window

5window

x2 Twenty-two years old, you actually speak English, you've got no hotrod, live in Youngstown but have enough money to own a '37 Mercedes and a Bentley? Want to buy a nice bridge in Brooklyn?

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well, if it had race history, It wouldn't happen to be the infamous bentley that participated in the "Cannonball" was it...if not it probably smacks of royalty.

11. FuelFC

FuelFC

I love it the way it is...beautiful machine.

But if you get bored...and if you did get it pretty cheap...not too attached yet...

This thing is just screaming for a makeover. LOL. 6"chop, about 200 louvers in the hood. Keep the paint scheme but in a heavy flake for historic reference. Leave the right hand drive kind of unique. a complete unlimited budget Fat Lucky's interior. Twin blown V-12 Allison or the like...sleep on it.

How many Bentley gassers have you seen? Right, none.

You could fit a dozen skinny tattoed chicks or 3 XL Orca Betty's in there and still have plenty of room for a few midgets too!

A HAMB chop in the making perhaps? Bentley build off?

12. Come on mate get the snob appeal right , it's a Bentley my dear Curspeed not a Rolls-Royce it's just not proper !

13. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I just sold one of those on ebay a couple months ago. Still have a rough one at the shop for a parts car. Wanna buy it?

<[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Dave Woods

Dave Woods
    from SoCal

Someone's been watching Top Gear and not the Speed Channel...

15. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

It wouldn't be the British Royal Family,they Had Daimlers and a couple of Rolls Phantoms for state affairs.
    probably the royal family of Iraq. Then again ..no,they had Custom mercedes.
    [​IMG]
    Chemical Ali Checking out.

16. Vermonster

Vermonster

I've got access to a 63 continental, if you have any interest. It is for sale, but is in rougher shape than yours...

17. Quickponey

Quickponey

The love story will cease when you go through the electrics and the brakes. Let us here of your woes as you go forward. If this were a Jag, you would have a bad case of "cat bite"!

18. Kreal

Kreal

Hi all,

Thanks for the compliments. Looking forward to buying new white wall tires for it if anyone has any tips. So far 820-15 WW Coker tires look to be best, but I of course could wait for a sale on them.

I'm actually 23 now, so I'll need to update that. And as far as my age being relatively young for a guy who collects older cars - - I love old cars, old bicycles, old things. Anything with a history or story, anything I have to spend years searching for at auctions, online, antique malls, or just knocking on doors to find out what is up with the old car in the barn. VS going to a new car dealer and picking a fresh one out.

I own many many cars.... much more than you see in the photos there. I think of them as enjoyable investments. I can drive them, park them, sit in a chair and stare at them for hours, and they bring me enjoyment. Or, I can sell it and recoup my money. Not like a new car nowadays, where two years later 1/3 the price is lost in depreciation.

As for the money thing.... I make under $30k a year. How's that for a surprise? I own my own home. I live like a bum otherwise, no cable TV, no Ipod, no extras. I don't eat out often, I watch ever dollar I spend and I'd rather go hungry for a day than spend $5 on food as opposed to $5 for a rare old car part at a flea market. Yep, I know, I sound like I'm a nutcase, eh? I would love to one day start a business finding, restoring, parting out, SAVING old cars. I have a good knack at finding things and I believe I could make someone a lot of of money if given the chance, or start one on my own..... I don't want to spend the rest of my life working and working, so I'm setting myself up now so I could retire earlier than normal and be able to spend my days enjoying my cars, my family and enjoying life.

I get the 'BSer, too young, not his cars or house etc' thing very often and it gets pretty old, infact it happens in almost every thread I post or every time I take one of my cars to car shows.

Sorry I'll pass on buying that bridge, but heres some of the '37 Mercedes related photos

[​IMG][/url]
    [​IMG][/url]

19. Kreal

Kreal

Hi, thanks. So far every option electrical or not is functioning as if it were new, really fantastic! The brakes were just overhauled before my purchase for a $5,000 price tag. :eek: I should post some underneath photos for you all, its excellent!

I already have 'cat bite' several times, LOL. The V12 type, and the RHD type among others...

20. gts340

gts340

That's a neat car. How fast does it go?

21. Kreal

Kreal

Gts,

Hi, I haven't had it going very fast at all so far. Probably 35mph at most, driving locally. But It has gone free-way speeds and preformed effortlessly.

Wouldn't you know it - the Good Year Blimp takes the same part number for car cover. Interesting.
    [​IMG][/url]
    [​IMG][/url]

[​IMG][/url]

22. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+Nice Score !!

23. Never heard anyone call one that one before!
    Anyway, that soft top is an Azure and therefore pre Volkswagen takeover.

24. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Have you taken it over any sweet jumps yet?

Who is the dignitary?

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thanks for posting it,most of the guys on here appreciate rare old machinery. whether brittish,german,or american, lots of history there, now you need to grow a handlebar 'stash :D
    as much as you like this old stuff,ought to get in touch with him, he might just do a story on you and your cars, you are a very unique person for being 23.

26. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

Hey I got a step daughter that could probably straighten your but out n get ya back on the fast track. Oh n she can cook, even roadkill. Let me know if your interested
    thanks
    Ken