Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Motors!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Neither are Speedways. Just crappy copies, not exact copies.

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I don't know...you may be right about the running of things, but I think a lot of the decisions are still being made at the top. Just a hunch based on things I know to be happening and people who are working with him.

Bill is a competitive and shrewd business man - if he doesn't know what the interent can do, he'll quickly learn.:D

3. dodgeboy

dodgeboy

I just ordered a straight axle kit for my 54 Belair from speedway on Sat. Its my 1st time dealing with them,so I guess I will see what happens. I know quite a few people from my area who have dealt with them in the past with no problems.Besides,when you only make around 28,000 a year with all the rest of life's bills, "Speedway seems to be one of the best tickets!".........

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Have to say after using Speedway stuff for years, I'm dissapointed to realize ther'e the Walmart of speed parts. Still buy the occasional part from them but only those made here, because that's important to me. By the way, it's easy to say patent your products, but mine cost about 4K , and it's really only good for your ego. What are you gonna do to a pro rip off artist like speedy Bill, except visit his house? Certainly not going to get another morgage to fight people like that to protect what is essentially a niche product. Just have to be happy your'e not a creep yourself, and go on with life.

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I've known Speedy Bill for 35 or 40 years. A couple of years ago Bill took me and my wife on a personal tour of the operation and the museum. To put things in perspective, more UPS trucks back up to Speedway's loading docks in Lincoln than Cabela's warehouse in Sidney NB! He has four sons that run the operation that includes a lot of real estate in and around Lincoln. He damn well understands the internet and has an inhouse photo studio not only for catalog work, but for shooting undamaged returns that are resold on the net.

I've been around this business long enough to know that you can't please 100% of the people 100% of the time. When I had a MO operation, there were certain people that I refused to do business with as they were always bitching. Like somebody said, you could send out $100 bill for $1.00 and somebody would bitch about the wrinkles.

6. krooser

krooser

I sold that press after I got the second table replaced by the selling dealer. I bought a 50 year old Turner for $260.00 that will live longer than I will.

BTW... I bought that drill press about 15 years ago... before, it seemed, everything started being made in China. My opininions on this cheap crap has changed and it started with that piece of equipment. Now my shop is filled with old US made shop equipment. I still have a Chi-Com bead roller and pipe bender but they work so poorly I haven't used them in years.

Honestly, have you ever bought anything built in China that's better than the stuff built by your union bretheran?

Let Speedway buy sell from China... but don't copy others hard work (without compensation) and let us know, BEFORE we put out our hard earned cash, where this stuff is made... let's have a little disclosure here folks.

7. krooser

krooser

Ok...name three things (other than Peking Duck) that they build better the we do... not CHEAPER like electronics but better... ok the Chinese Wall but other than that...

8. Abomination

Abomination

I didn't say they built things BETTER than we do! :D LOL!

Just that they have the capability to build the good stuff, but charge out the ass for it...

~Jason

9. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

How do I Hide the Speedway Parts, I have? Oh no I have a Harbor Fright, Hammer 2, I have sinned, I will only drive at night.

10. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

BTW Storm King & all others, I wasn't pissed off at what happened I'd been expecting it , I guess it was another marker that told me We'd arrived on the scene when one of my products was copy worthy .I see all the other column companies now making non tilt columns & smaller 40 For steering wheels if there is a market people will fill it. I'm just glad we were there with the nostalgia style parts early on , we didn't jump on the band wagon . Competition is good for all concerned, I recently redesigned our Hot Rod column & I like it better , prices are kept as low as possible given the California overheads we have, I ain't getting rich but I'm having a lot of fun . I finished my 32 roadster & Carol's Fordoor is cool so what else do I need. By the way the wide 5 adapters on the back of my roadster are from Speedway Motors, bought after the column stuff, nice parts that do the job well. I do buy some stuff from them but I'm careful what it is. There is room in our industry for all , but I like to keep a level playing field , if you know what I mean ;) .

11. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

I have been trying to get speedway to pick up some of our American made, high quality parts. I just never hear back from them, too bad, I will just sell the stuff myself!
    Most of the parts I have bought from them were fine, I did order a walker radiator and it was no where near the right size. Sent it back, full refund, no problem.
    Mark

12. OK, in my humble worthless opinion this has nothing to do with Speedway.
    You don't really think that Edelbrock actually casts their own housings, or even makes their own pumps do you? If they did it would be so expensive you wouldn't buy it. There is a reason that Brookville body costs that much.
    They buy that pump from someone, who, if you have enough money would put your name on that pump! And you can bet that once that foundry is set up to make those castings they are going to sell to anyone that wants one.
    Years of working in the parts biz, and 30 years of working in John Deere parts has taught me that the same part can be had in a different box for a different price. I can't say now, it's been too long, but in the '70's, ALL motor mounts and transmission mounts were made by the Anchor Doan Co. ALL of them. Made no difference whose box or what you paid for them. Dorman made ALL the automotive hardware (lugnuts,body bolts, etc.).
    Almost all of the front end parts you buy still are made by TRW, and yes, they are made overseas, especially if there is some sort of casting involved as our govm't, in it's infinate wisdom, has seen fit to run all of the foundrys out of the country.
    If you think you can build a car these days with ALL American parts, you will probably be using a LOT of used parts. The American companies can't compete, and we don't buy enough to give them a profit.
    Again, JMHO.....Mike

13. Mopar34

Mopar34

I've never had a problem with any of the Speedway parts that I have purchased. There are other companies that I deal with a lot more than Speedway for general parts. I have never seen one of their bodies nor have I talked with anyone who has used one. However, they would not be my first choice for a body. Not saying that their bodies are crap, just saying that their are others who have been making and selling quality bodies a lot longer and have a better product.

I think I would first exhaust the availiability of project cars that turn up in places like Hemmings from time to time, before looking for something cheap.

14. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Hi I hope this helps explain not all stuff is made in China , Edelbrock are a good USA Company

THE FOUNDRY

[​IMG]Edelbrock's sand cast aluminum parts take shape in one of the most modern high-tech green sand aluminum foundries in the Western United States. [​IMG]The Edelbrock Foundry in San Jacinto, California, is a place that prides itself on quality and efficiency. The 117,000- sq/ft. complex is capable of producing over 3,000 castings a day and many of the processes have been automated. The computer-controlled pouring stations ensure that the molten metal is at the correct temperature and that the right amount of aluminum is used to ensure outstanding consistency and quality. Other equipment includes three automated molding lines, 21 core machines, including a new state-of-the-art cold set core machine, and a self-contained sand handling system that is capable of processing 100 tons of sand per hour. In 2007 we will be adding a new Permanent Mold and Heat Treat facility next to our existing sand cast foundry, an over 8 million dollar commitment to “Made in USA” products and performance.

15. Larry T

Larry T

Dang, holeshotted by Limey Steve!!!! LOL
    Larry T

16. rustybucket

rustybucket

China isn't always the problem... sometimes its the company or the consumers demands that make the difference. You get what you pay for, how much you willin to pay?

This is designed in the USA and made in china...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc43LpuwHek

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yes I do... :eek::D

18. No I don't think they do - I KNOW it, I've been to the foundry. Sorry dude, bad example.

And I've also been in the parts business for a while, since 1975. I get front end stuff all the time that isn't made by TRW. Can see a big difference between the Sealed Power, Moog and TRW regularly.

19. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Seems like several threads are developing here.
    Buying from Speedway and buying American made.
    For years we have outsourced our manufacturing. I deal a lot with motorcycle parts.
    People always say Harley is American made.Maybe 51% of the content is but there is an awful lot of foreign parts in there.
    A lot of stuff is made in China and India.Simple reason ;labor is cheaper.This is a trend that has been going on for 40 years.
    If it is made in the USA,it will usually say it (I imagine).
    I knew one HD dealer that sold lots of accessories,right after he ground off made in India:rolleyes:.
    I've always had a term for most of the reproduction parts out there.
    "SUITABLE LUMP FROM WHICH TO MAKE PART".

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

It's a 50-50, with them, i like a lot of their stuff

21. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

So, EXACTLY what was the issue/difference in the body in question from the original poster? His post was about a body, and everyone jumped in to gangbang Speedy Bill.

Care to tell us what the issues were?

22. Haven't bought a lot but what I have has been great. No complaints.

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Less than 50% is US made... There are more US made parts on a Kawasaki Vulcan believe it or not.

24. Steve, thanks for digging up that Edelbrock info.........I may have to buy something from them "just because"!

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep against the odds they expanded their facility. I heard they were doing another foundry as well, maybe only a rumor. They rock...

26. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Class post.

I recall back in the mid-90s the Honda ACE (American Classic Edition - ie Harley knock-off) was touting they were 96% made in America & Harley was 94%. A lot must have changed in the past 15 years...

I knew suspension (Showa) & electrics have long been Japanese - what else now? Any idea?

27. <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    <!-- google_ad_section_start -->I'm curious where you come up with that number. ??? :confused:

According to the book "How to Buy American, Second Edition", Harley-Davidson motorcycles are listed as 95% American made. The AFL-CIO, The Union Label and Service Trades Department lists Harley-Davidson as an American Union made product. Each H-D motorcycle bears the PACE and Machinists Union label on it's frame. This means that it is a predominately American manufactured product, not an American assembled product.
    While it is true that some parts on the Harley-Davidson motorcycle are made outside the United States, the company tries very hard to procure American products when it can. It manufactures many of it's own parts right here in USA. It is American owned, American made and Union supported.
    It is kind of hard to put an actual % on it. If you use pure number of parts, does an engine (made here) carry the same weight as a light bulb (made in china).
    The above reference book was a couple of years ago but I think it's still close to 85-90% made here.
    Harley builds and welds their own frames. Engines are built here (castings at times have come from foreign sources, don't know currently). Delphi (you know, part of GM) does the computer and fuel injection components. Forks and shocks do come from Showa in Japan. Gauges (at least the speedo anyway) are also Delphi. Laced wheels come from here, cast wheels are done in Australia, by a company H-D now owns. Sheet metal (fenders, Gas Tanks etc) are done here. Tires are Dunlop which is owned 75% by the only US tire company left, Goodyear and 25% by Sumitomo, japan. Seats are made by Milsco in Milwaukee.
    <TABLE width="100%" border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD vAlign=top width="100%" itxtvisited="1"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- google_ad_section_end -->

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well the changing from Magneti-Marelli to Delphi has helped them, but it seems the chrome is all imported. Now if a wheel is put together from imported parts is it considered US made? or an engine? not it my book. One of the motorcycle magazines did an article a few years back that broke it all down, and if you separated it part by part, it got below 50%. I don't know if they covered where the materials came from for the frames but I have a very very hard time sourcing US made materials like tubing. Most of the time I can't. The tires wether they are predominately owned by a US company or not, if they're not made her, they're nto made here. My shop is 4 doors from a very large Harley dealer, I've talked to the parts manager at length and he agrees. If an engine is put together from imported parts then it's not US made. It's sad state of affairs but I'll give it the US assembled tag....

I'll see if I can drag the article up but I think it was '06 or '07 that they did it. Can't remember if it was Motorcyclist or Cycle World but I think it was one of them....

29. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I just bought a set of 50 Merc hubcaps from Speedway; After a lengthy discussion with the "tech rep" prior to ordering them, I was assured they would fit my original stock Merc rims. They don't fit worth a shit!....they're so loose I had to wrap duct tape along the inner circumference to keep them from falling off! So now, do I go through the hassle of repacking them in order to return them? (in hopes of maybe a better Chinese fit?) No way! I'll run em the way I got em, & hopefully the "tape method will keep em secure. Odds have it that any replacements will just be more of the same! Just thought I'd weigh in on this topic for whatever it's worth.

30. storm king

storm king

FlatErnie, you beat me to it. But it bears repeating.
    Classy response, LimeySteve. well done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.