Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 chrysler what should I do

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48chrysler, Mar 28, 2009.

1. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

2. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

3. 41 C28

41 C28

Check at the P15-D24 site for a rear window. Lower it, keep the visor.radials will make it drive so much better ( Don't want to hear it I know radials aren't traditional). Is it a 6 or an 8?

41 Chrysler Sedan
    48 Dodge Club Coupe

4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's a bit of inspiration for ya...Greg Pitman's ColoRODo Springs, CO, based Chrysler....

R-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  5. storm king

storm king

Do not put a Chevy in it.

6. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

If tha beaochee is a ny,er just sell it to me I know what to do with it!!!

7. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I had a 48 New Yorker straight 8 4 door with skirts and visor. I two toned it and lowered it to make it look 25 ft long.

8. RichG

RichG

If you're gonna drop the car by cutting the coils, only cut HALF a coil at a time, then put it together and check it on the ground. There are a lot of threads on here about cutting coils if you go that route, read up, and for goodness sakes, do not heat the coils to drop the car. I had a '67 Chevy p'up for awhile (on loan from my brother in law) that was dropped by putting blocks under the frame and heating the coils. The thing road like a piece of plywood drug on the ground...

I'm not sure of how your car is suspended on the rear, but there are several low buck methods for lowering the rear of a car, including reversing spring eyes, lowering your mounts, shortened (or lengthened) shackles, and of course, putting the axle over the springs. I'd try the other methods first, as they allow you more control over how low you want to drop. An axle flip will net you the heighth of the axle tube automatically, so it could be up to a 4" drop!

Keep that visor, it makes your car unique to the other 6-10 like cars you'll see on the road.

Just some stuff to think about...:D

9. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

yeah it's a spitfire straight 8...it sat in a heated building for 30+ years...took a day but she fired up great...now all i have to do is go out and turn the key push the button and she purrs like a kitten...I'm working on brakes now..I replaced them all....and the body is in great shape all original no bondo

10. old1946truck

old1946truck

Whay he said!

11. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

and it is a new yorker club coupe...I think it might be the highlander edition but not sure.....I ran the vin and thats what it came back as but no plaid interior

12. sedan33

sedan33

Keep the visor and slam it.:D

13. vertible59

vertible59

Will the rear glass from '46-'48 Dodge or Plymouth work in your Chrysler? If it will, that would be much easier to come by. I'm sure there were skirts available for your car...check ads in Hemmings Motor News for them. Lowering blocks and skirts out back, with some single bar flippers in front would look good. Also, if you have access to late '60s and early 70s Rod&Custom mags, try to locate the articles Tex Smith did on his "Walter P. Chrysler" sedan. I'm sure you would enjoy them.

14. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

i don't know if dodge or desoto rear glass is the same....does anyone know...and does anyone know about lowering kits for sale that can work

15. Wide whites on chrome reverses, skirts, KEEP the visor, get some backglass in it, and drive it! MAYBE a 2" lowering, that's it.

16. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

We have 1947 Windsor 7 passenger seadn that we've had since '92. Drove it to shows and stuff 'till I burned out on car shows and the engine got so tired that between highway speeds and the 3.90 rearend it would'nt have lasted have much longer. So I stored it for 10 years or so. and this winter I rebuilt a '71 chrysler 300 440 / torqueflight that I am having Southwick Machine& Design of Coalvalley Il. install along with rearend, discs on the front Ron Francis wiring kit. Then have Joe's paint of E. Moline Il. will put the front sheet metal back on. Paint the visor to match, I think it helps with the roundness of all the other panels. You can't please all the people all the time JUST HAVE FUN!

Frankie47 likes this.
  17. m.k.bench

m.k.bench

big Chryslers are cool. yours will be too, lowered. i've got a 48 4-door, New Yorker. i yanked the strait 8, and will be installing a Dodge Cummins turbo diesel. that'll fill up that engine compartment. now i,m brainstorming what (modern) front suspension will work with it.. i'm keeping my visor too.

Frankie47 likes this.
  18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

48Chrysler;

The body/suspension/driveline interchanges you're looking for are w/ other 42->48 Chry, & 42->48 Desoto. Very little, if any, Dodge 'n' Ply interchange. Also, most - if not all, of the Imperial & a lot Sarasota [IIRC] 8 parts [mostly from the front of the front door edge, forwards] were particular to those models, usually in the 42->48 year range. You'll find, as did most folks who had them, that the 8 was somewhat less than thrifty on fuel... :D . &, so a lot of folks swapped in the 6, resulting in similar performance, but much better fuel economy. If you have the 3sp/OD, well, enjoy that, as it's rather sturdy & well suited to the car. As long as you're not racing. I think you're really going to enjoy that car... :) .

Opinions:

The following aren't particularly "traditional", but a result of having a '48 Chrysler Windsor conv. Assuming you're going to leave it mostly stock...

I'd keep the visor, although I'd try things for a bit w/o it, just to see the differance - go w/what *you* find you like. There's something to be said for not squinting when ever you drive into the the sun... You'll also find that, the brakes, even when they are in new status, are at best, & at most charitibly, criminally negligent in their ability to function as devices to actually slow the beastie down. Although if you crave "excitement", these'll do ya! I'd look into swapping out the rear axle to something later in the mopar family, I think "A" body is one that'll bolt in, & get some decent & large discs on the front. & *maybe* w/a power booster. The steering is a bit slow, but works very well, & the only time quicker might be wanted, is in a really tight spot, so I'd leave that alone. The front suspension [IIRC] is an IRS w/kingpins. Just rebuild it, correctly - if needed, & let it go. A decent front end that is tough, & suited for our [now] crummy roads. Does yours have the twin heaters located on/in the kick panels? Shoud be more than enough, & unique, too, :) . I would convert to 12v, just my preferance. I really like the looks of the Highlander plaid fabrics. A long-time favorite. If the 8 goes away, I'd do a flattie 6, mildly hot-rodded, w/a supercharger or small turbo - great for the hiway... :) . Also, decent shocks, & much thicker "sway" bars. & go w/decent radials... I've always thought that the long hooded Chry Saratoga 8's were the best looking of the line, most resembling the artists'/advertizing drawings. Side by side w/a Windsor, they made the Winsors look a bit stubby. & I agree w/the others, just a good clean-up & have fun. If you do decide to drop it, I don't think more than 1", 2" at most.

FWIW.

Marcus...

19. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Oops;

Sorry 48Chrysler,

Meant New Yorker in place of Sarasota. IIRC, New Yorker & Sarasota were same body/chassis. In any case, the long wheelbase/8 & the short wheelbase/6 interchange from the cowl back, in Chy & Desoto only. Also, IIRC, the front suspension was different on the LWB/8 from the SWB/6. Same design, different parts. Doing this from memory, as I sold my manuals & other info w/the conv, & my info books aren't handy.

Reminder to self: Don't type when it's late, or more accurately, when it's early in the am...:rolleyes:

Marcus...

20. dodgeboy

dodgeboy

I just bought a 1942 Chrysler Windsor and was going to use the frame for my 41 Dodge buz. coupe.Since Ive picked it up last weekend though Ive decided that its too good to use for parts since its almost complete with the exception of the dash cluster and the stainless fender trim.The only rust out it has really is the rocker panels.Anyway, Im thinking of making a gasser style rod out of it with a straight axle set-up,or maybe an old police car or taxi cab.I guess Im just saying that there are other options to setting up your 48 Chrysler other than lowering it,I think your car looks KOOL the way it is!!Justmy 2 cents,HAVE FUN WITH IT!!....Kevin

21. Simple and to the point. Fantastic advice.

22. This will be a very sweet ride!

23. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

thank you everyone for all the information and opinions

24. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

That car looks clean. buff, drop, and drive. I love those cars. I have a '47 dodge coupe myself, but wish I had a chrysler. Those LONG hoods and the cools grill really make those cars look great.

25. Rocky-are you trying to make it look like your, I mean my, old '41 Poncho? You still think about that old popper, don't cha!!

26. Revive it and Drive it and keep it all mopar...I'd keep the visor but paint it body color to match and do a slight drop in the rear...I agree with the brakes making for a bit of a thrill ride...it's a beauty and you don't see those everyday...congrats

27. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

She's alive...I took her for her first drive yesterday...and the fluidrive transmisson even shifted....man she drives like a dream...I love her...one of the fellow hambers hooked me up with a window out of Minnesota so thank you for all the information everyone...this is truely my favorite internet place....

28. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

Next is interior...which is soon to be my specialty...along with the car i inherited a fully working interior shop...It was my Gpa's...what colors would you guys do...i want to keep it half way period correct but i also have a ton of vinyl....my grandma used to sew for my gpa so she is teaching me how to stich....I want to do something that when people walk away from the car show they are saying man did you see that car with the huge front end and ____ interior....maybe crushed zebra and black vinyl with white welts???? I dunno.... I already did the front seats in white and gold tuck and roll but i didn't measure out my material before hand so i ran out and can't finish it up so now i'm going to re-do it...practice makes perfect...lol

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

30. 48chrysler

48chrysler
    from Indiana

thats a really cool website but i think i want to go a lot crazier than original...I have all of the tools if it is too wild i'll just rip it out and do it over again...what are some of the wilder "traditional" designs