Register now to get rid of these ads!

First try at building a hotrod website

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topcat662, Mar 28, 2009.

1. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Hey guys,

When I need opinions I always ask the people whos opinions I value the most. Here's my first attempt at building a website ( a car's no problem but this computer stuff is hard)! Let me know what you think! The song "A Bone" was written about me by good friends the Long Gone Trio's lead singer Pat Bova who is the owner of the Pontiac RPU.

http://fasteddieshotrods.com

Eddie

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. airbag

airbag

looks sweet to me, love the music.

3. chadman117

chadman117

As someone in the industry, I would highly recommend that you keep the music user initiated instead of automatic. Many people are turned off when they go to a site and music starts to play automatically. Otherwise, nice site!

4. panic

panic

Violated 2 cardinal rules:
    1. no horizontal scroll bar
    2. didn't see a way to shut off the music (unless it's keyed to a cookie?)

5. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I'm not too familiar with the terminology. Do you mean make it so people have to turn the music on manually? Thanks very much for the advice.

Eddie

6. mj40's

mj40's

I love the Pontiac tailgate. I have a friend that I tried to get to stamp Oldsmobile in his A roadster pickup with a rocket theme. Right down to the stock 2x2 rocket motor to the dash and grill emblem.

7. r8odecay

r8odecay

yeah, I get PISSED when music is auto loaded, especially when i'm surfing at work.

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks like a good start to me. Keep at it and make some good changes as you like and good luck!

Since it is a business site, an easy to find address and phone number would be good too.

edit, music doesn't start for me unless I manually click the button for it. I am using a newer Imac fyi. So, that is cool with me and I do like the music personally, seems fitting and dig that it is original music and friends of yours - that is cool. Regardless, I do agree that automatic music, no matter how good, is usually just kind of annoying when surfing around the web and clicking on sites. It is especially annoying when you go to sites all the time and have to remember to turn of the volume when you get there, yet again.

Oh, looks like you do some pretty nice work too. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I'm trying to figure out how to get the music to come on only when you click it. I tired a couple of times but it keeps going back to the auto setting. I'll have to call tech support. I didn't put a adress in there because people keep coming by while I'm working and unfortunately like to talk as much as I do and I can't get any work done! I'm a single dad of a three yr old and have limited time for now so it makes things difficult (not that I would change it)! I'll work on the music though.

Thanks you all for the advice!
    Eddie

10. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I figured out how to turn the music off. I closed my browser window, and it went away. If you are wanting people to stay on your site, this music thing might not be a good idea. Not to mention the bandwidth that its sucking up!

11. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

and your link to longgonetrio.com is broken. It puts in behind your URL

12. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Very nice site... but again I like the music but......the music playing could be a problem
    Also your phone number should be on every page.... there is nothing I hate more that having to click on another link to find a phone number

Gary

13. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Looks good to me. My only comments are that you should add your location somewhere. Where are you? And prices and how to order your "Products".

Mike

14. in2hotrods

in2hotrods

15. Willy59

Willy59

Bitchin' site. Nothings out of place and everything works.

16. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

as some of the other guys said turn the music off - i just shut sites down with music which plays automatically.

17. tdoty

tdoty

Looks pretty darn good from here! There's a few typos (something I am particularly careful about when designing a business site), and some other minor things, but the site has a nice "feel" to it and fairly simple navigation. Mystery navigation and lack of continuity are a couple of things that really bug me (as a visitor and as a designer). Good to see you avoided those.

Also, just noticed someone pointed out the phone # should be on every page......right after the Fast Eddie's Hotrods that is near the bottome of every page would be a good place for it.

Tim D.

18. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

19. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'd say you did a dam good job!

21. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Ditto on hating the music that kicks in automatically. That is totally annoying. And it really sucks if you hit the website while at work.

To me, the music does not add anything to the site. It just says "look I am trying to be cool, and I know how to code this feature". Lame.

But the site itself is really nice.

22. power58

power58

Great Job, This Compter stuff can make you old in a hurry. Nice Rides, The Pontiac is my favorite. Keep up the good work. Your on your way to great things.

23. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

Thanks everyone for the compliments as well as the criticism! I want this to be good. I'm trying to get the music on manual but am having a hard time with the tech support. I change the settings then it just goes back to the auto setting. I will do some more work on it tonight such as add the Phone number to each page. I really do appreciate all the support!! I knew I could count on you guys!

Eddie

24. X2. Good start but the music is LOUD. Hard to use with the bar, has to fit the screen.

25. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I'm not sure what you mean by the horizontal scroll bar. Like I said I'm not much good at computers. I think I could probably build you a car in less time than this computer stuff is taking me! The music player is at the bottom of the page. I'm gonna try to move it up higher to make it easier to use. Hopefully I'll get it figured out tonight!

Thanks again,
    Eddie

26. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Thats how I turned off the music too.

27. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I think the music is off now or at least muted. The music plyer has been moved up on the page so it can be controlled easier as well. Let me know if this is better.
    Thanks,
    Eddie

28. topcat662

topcat662
    from NM

I was having trouble with the music going back to the default setting...on. Give this a try and see if it's easier to use.

Thanks, Eddie

29. Chris Cissel

Chris Cissel
    from Fresno Ca

Like the site, Music is cool also. I just can't log in at work or music will get me busted

30. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Hi - quickie advice here - you are on the right track!
    ======
    "I will try to write a couple of tech articles" - don't say this until it's done, it makes you look like one of those 'round tuit' guys who never finish stuff.

Punctuation missing, add a period and capitalize "We're" here:
    "If you like great rockabilly music (and what car guy doesn't) check out their website

we're located in Albuquerque, NM give us a call @ 505-259-9122
    Eddie
    ========
    Remove your email address in plain text and use javascript to write it so you don't get so much spam: (replace { and } with greater than and less than)

<pre>
    {script language="JavaScript"} {!--
    var name = "ecossin1962";
    var domain = "comcast.net";
    document.write('{a href=\"mailto:' + name + '@' + domain + '\"}');
    document.write('email' + '{/a}');
    // -->
    /script}
    </pre>