Register now to get rid of these ads!

I have a chevy mercury!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alex1954chevy, Mar 25, 2009.

1. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

i had just gotten off work.. tired as hell and stopped at the store to get some milk and few other items to make myself dinner. as i park my 1954 chevy, and get out. this kid wearing creepers and a 8 inch pomp with a blond streak in the front walks up to me and says"nice merc"
    ok my rockstar is not so customized you cant tell its a chevy. all ive done is... added teeth to the grill, lowered it, it has a straight body, shaved the handles and other misc things. nothing radical. i just look at him and say.. thanks. i was about to walk away when he saids i wanna build me a rat rod too someday. UGH the "R R" word. i just said good luck with that and walked away.. i didnt wanna deal with it...when i was inside i realized DAMN first he called my car a merc THEN a RAT ROD!!! he insulted me twice in less than a minute haha:p

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

damn rat rodder. get back to OSR

3. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Don't you know that every car made before 1960 is a Merc Rat Rod? Sheesh

4. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

[. this kid wearing creepers and a 8 inch pomp with a blond streak

I THINK THAT WAS ME:rolleyes:

5. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I only saw one insult. The first comment was a compliment.:D

6. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

Tooo, funny these years the kulture is all f-uped...

7. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

shoulda told him all you need is some flat black paint and red wheels

8. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

and mexican blanket, made in china!!!!:d

9. manyolcars

manyolcars

i agree. I would take any year Merc over any 54 chevy

10. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

nope, should of ran to the net to call him out...

who cares?

11. L110Mike

L110Mike
    from North OC

funny story along the same lines--i had one of my athletes in my office yesterday and i have a picture of my truck in there.

"oh wow, is that your truck?"
    "yeah it is--it's been a work in progress for some time."
    "wow, my grandfather has one just like it!"
    "really? he has an International?"
    "oh, no, he has a Chevy Studebaker"

at this point, i explain that those are 2 different manufacturers and she then tells me that it's a stude. sounds like her grandfather has quite the nice car collection though. she's a great student-athlete, just not too hip on the old rods, but she appreciates them and enjoys them.

12. hot rust

hot rust

ya know, sounds like this is a common occurance. was the guy for real, meaning was he interested in the car or just a looker? most of the guys that age cant really tell them apart anyway. when it happens to me i try to always tell them whether there right or wrong and then proceed to tell them the difference. sometimes i get some weird stares but most enjoy the fact you spent time with them to educate them to a degree. but i agree that after the first thousand or so it gets irritating. but i also try to remember i once was where he was. just a thought.

13. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

no insults to your merc owners. i mean i LOVE mercs ever since i saw cobra as a kid. and if i would have come across an affordable merc befoe i found my 54 (8 years ago) i would have gotten it. i just ment he called it the wrong make:cool:

14. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

And thats the FIRST TIME thats happened? Just finish it yesterday? I couldn't count the number of times.

15. Funny...I get guys tell me "nice Hudson",every now and then,LOL....

16. The kid was just ignorant. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to show him the car and explain what it is and what it isn't rather than just blowing him off. I understand being dead tired and not having time to waste on the off chance you could get through to him but, who knows, you may have just passed up an opportunity to steer another young mind away from the dark side. I still remember the ones who helped me along when I was young and knew everything.

17. Chevytruckin98

Chevytruckin98
    from Tx

don worry, In a few years it will all go away ("the RR")

18. George G

George G

At least the kid was interested. Most don't have a clue about our addiction.

19. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Or flames and Maltese crosses and flying eyeballs.

20. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

LOL... Do you ask them if you can date their grand-daughters?

Attached Files:

21. You just have to smile at the uneducated masses. A lot of them are car nuts too.
    At least the kid was interested. We all start somewhere

My 40 Merc Coupe screws with even somewhat knowlegeable car dudes. The Head light bezels are the only part that interchange with a Ford. I get all kinds of questions. That's part of the fun.
    BTW it's a Merc-Chevy for the usual reason.

22. ian

ian

hilarious!:D

23. You do know Chevy did build a Mercury?......................................

24. bignateokc

bignateokc

people tell me cool cadillac when they see my merc ! I run sombaro caps still better than hey thats the car from cobra! dumbshits ha ha

25. Unfortunately its here to stay. Everytime someone asks me about my coupe and how its progressing I hear the word somewhere in the conversation. It does not matter young or old I still get the same talk.

Whats equally frustrating to me is explaining Model Ts from As and then explaining why "Dueces" are a completely different car from an A or T also. 33-34 was a swoopy enough change for most people to recognize they are not the same as As Ts or 32s.

Model B vs A talk is to complex for average-joe-car-rat-rodder-mofo-brain-donor.-Weeks

26. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I seriously hope not. WAY too many bodies are being destroyed on the crappy builds. Far more then the scrap man ever took.

27. Yes, I know what you mean. I see alot of bodies that were pretty straight hacked and then sanded and sprayed with water to rust for the patina look. Unfortunately alot of restored and semi-restored cars are down in price and I think unfortunatly more hack-jobs are made then restorations are kept. I have a ? for you choppintops.-Weeks

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  28. braineater

braineater
    from sacramento

so the kid didnt know what kind of car you have exactly...well most of you..me included, change the appearance of the cars we drive...there are times i look at cars and wonder myself...."rat rod" sorry it offends. i dont like it either...i dont like it coming out of our mouths..but someone...again...that doesnt know about traditional, sled, lowrider, what have you..thats ok. at least he made an effort to compliment the car.

29. Definetly!!

I really get sturred up about todays generation, Sure i'm one of them, and my knowledge isnt too good when it comes to pre 54. But still, it's a start ;)

One thing that boiled my nerved was this quote though...

"Jackson, Just sell that piece of shit berlair or whatever you call it and buy a skyline"

Me: "One, Its a Bel-air, and secondly, why should i sell what i've always wanted just to fit in with the crowd at the local shopping center car park??"

Cheers,
    Jackson.

30. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

But not in 1954...