Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 27x Closed Cab pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnichols, Oct 22, 2008.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx... other grilles are still options, it's just that I really like that little lean on the 34. Time will tell. Gary

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gang,

Today's pix of the new wheels and tires (yes, they are radials. Best of both worlds?) This will probably be the last photo update until after the front end is installed. The grille will still need to be sectioned, the cab is a tad low in the back, and the bed will come down about 2 inches in the final form (if our math is right!).

Later, Gary

Attached Files:

3. tjm73

tjm73

If you drive it as much as you say you are wanting too, the radials are a good choice IMO. Common sizes you can get regular non-wide whites in back water USA if you had too?

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Agree. I put 20K on my 37 in 4 years before I sold it. And I wanted an H rated tire, too, as I hope this build is a lot faster!! Gary

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Nice work Gary.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hi kids,
    Here are some shots of today's attempt to mock-up the SC3800 Poncho V6 in my pickup (recently cristened "Flat Hat" mostly after it's roof, but also after crazy, low-flying, hedge-hopping, flat-hatting pilots).

No major surprises and we think it will fit ok. We hope to have the front crossmember in soon and the motor mounts done, but who knows what problems the headers, intake, air ride or steering will provide.

My second set of wheels and tires also arrived... these are my "street rodder wheels" Nyuck, nyuck.
    Later, Gary

Attached Files:

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

CEN-PEN's Xmbr tacked in! Then the first fit on the AirRide axle combo... Gary

Attached Files:

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The mock-up got this far COB... 1993 GEO Storm seats will fit if the sides are narrowed a tad when done over. Motor mounts done... next we work the bed and rear suspension. Gary

Attached Files:

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dateline Friday eve... just a few more shots on our progress. Front 4 bars, tranny mount and the bed frame tacked in. The "industrial strength" bed sliders are fit and a demo slide provided for your amusement. The diff is a pinch narrower and has disc brakes now. The rear 4 bars go on next week along with the rest of the AirRide stuff, rear crossmember, shocks, rear sway bar, etc. Bed will eventually have an electric ram and latch to control the slide. Grille will be a lot shorter and sit properly over the front cross menber. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

10. leadsled deluxe

leadsled deluxe

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx... by any chance you know Sid Sommers? Gary

12. old-hermit

old-hermit
    from SC

Hi Gary, just found this and had to tell ya that you are doing a top shelf job on the pkp. At the pace you're going ya just might have it done by the fall Charlotte show. I'll be keeping up with the build from here on.

13. blackout

blackout

Looking good.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx Hermster... see why not much 1/8th modeling is getting done around here? No time for the small toys. Later, Gary

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My friend Guy Graham and I checked-off a few lines on the build list at the back half of the frame this week... tacked-in the 4-bars, diff, airshocks, sway bar. Starting on the "cage" under the rear of the frame and axle next. It will stiffen it all up, mount the receiver and rear bumper and hold some gear under the bed floor ta boot. Panard kit arrives Monday, so we hope to be able to move on to the rest of the front end and then fill in the blanks in the frame under the cab after that. Then we will get it cleaned and take it to a good buddy for all the final welding. Still having fun! Gary

Attached Files:

16. wsdad

wsdad

Me too! ...but then I see dragster bodies in almost everything.

Very nice truck! I think you got the stance and proportions spot-on.

That sliding bed should prove handy. When you mash the gas, the truck can take off and the bed can catch up later! ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx... glad you are enjoying the build. Hopefully it will look as nice as we think it will. At this time, we are trying to get 10 gal of gas, the battery and the air ride controls under the bed between the cab and axle. The air tank and compressor will go behind the axle, over a trailer hitch. Whew. Gary

18. old-hermit

old-hermit
    from SC

It's been almost a month, anything new ?

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey Herm-ster... thanx for asking. Sorry, no pix but some progress. The rear clip has been caged under the axle and then up to the end of the bed's frame with a few verticals here and there. Trailer hitch is on, tying in most things behind the axle. Spots for the air tank and air ride compressor laid out. The driveshaft has been ordered. New and improved motor mounts, the Vega steering box and front panard are done. Next are the front shock mounts, the center x-members for the frame / body / seats / roll bar and the bed's linear actuator and latch. I'll try to get some pix this week, but... have other things to do for awhile. Later, Gary

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hermit... took some pix just for you this AM... until the memory stick started acting up. Gary

Attached Files:

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Happy Easter, Gang...
    Another update on recent progress. Got some of the center frame tacked-in including part of the future tranny / drive shaft tunnel. We sectioned the seats 3" down the center to get them to fit and have the rear seat mounts located / tapped. The planned roll bar hoop will be tight, but we think it will fit. The drive shaft has been in and out a zillion times... and after all that we could finally get the floor cut in the center and see how things are going. In case you are wondering... the muffler will be under the passenger seat and the fuel tank will be a combo Z/L shape that will be on the driver side under the bed and ahead of the axle - and then extend down and forward under the driver's seat. The battery and some air ride stuff will be on a platform under the bed and ahead of the axle on the passenger side. Later, Gary

Attached Files:

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Progress this week has included some boxing at the rear kick, all the seat and seat belt mounts worked out, front floor / frame braces, etc. With the body on the rear frame, it kinda looks like a Munster mobile.. or pulling vehicle. All it needs is 3 more blown mills and some big tires! Later, Gary

Attached Files:

23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A few pix from the end of the week. Gary

Attached Files:

24. woody2

woody2

Nice looking project there Gary, I think that grill looks a little to heavy, A 27 T would look much better.

Wanted one 34 pickup grill shell.:D:D:D Pm me.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sorry Woody, plan to use my grille (a bit shortened) unless it ends up looking wierd. Man, you guys get up early over there! Thanx, Gary

PS off to the Annual Strawberry Show in Plant City, FL this afternoon / evening... wonderful weather here today - sorry, had to say it.

26. RichG

RichG

I gotta say your panhard bar mount to the rear end looks pretty stout, you're not planning on roadracing this thing, are ya? :D

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

No, but an autocross or two is in the plan. I've been told that a full sway bar would have been far better, but we have so much crap to fit under the bed we just needed a little more room for gear on the right side of the drive shaft. This puppy is going to end up with about 115" wheel base, so I doubt I'll be all that snappy thru the slaloms, but I love that kinda shit. Later, Gary

28. tjm73

tjm73

If I recall correctly aren't you planning on some nationwide travel with this truck? A 115" wheelbase will be nice for pulling a small camper trailer.

We keep seeing bit updates and snap shots of thigns you are doing (which I love) but lets see a new new rolled out in the sun pics. Whole truck shots, etc... :cool:

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey Bud,

Glad to see someone is looking at the pix. FYI, I've also got some great off-thread PM tips and hints and recomemdations on stuff to double-Czech, too, which I really appreciate.

Yes, long trips are planned and hopefully the stetch and air ride will make it more comfy. The cab is still small, but at least my legs won't be cramped. I know the die hard Hamb-sters dislike some of the stuff I'm doing, but I like to try new stuff and push the envelope in my own small way. Most of the hi-tech stuff will be "invisible" anyway.

Now that the truck is on the ground and Guy's ex-hanger queen Aero sedan is mobile, some outdoor pix would be good. Hadn't given it a thought, but we will try for some next week. Only trouble is the grille... we are aways from getting that cut down and properly mounted.

Later, Gary