Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 packard chop progress

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodSweatSteel, Mar 21, 2009.

1. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

hey guys just thought I would share some progress shots with you

when i bought her
    [​IMG]
    side profile
    [​IMG]
    money shot
    [​IMG]

comments and criticism welcomed, i will update this thread periodically

2. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

WOW! how much you take out? and any plans for err uh back window?

3. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

5'' in front and 7'' in the rear, the back window is in the side profile shot, 49-50 ford custom? just went to the pick and pull and found one that i liked with a nice subtle curve.

4. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

I'd say put 2 inches back on it and go from there. Cool project!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

way too chopped.

6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I agree, it's just too low it throws the proportions all out the window.

Can't ever remember seeing a '53 Packard, cool and unique car, but pleeeeease raise the roof a little!

7. vertible59

vertible59

My neighbor has a Packard similar to yours slowly deteriorating in his pasture. I see it every day and have often wondered what could be done with it. Seeing what you are doing makes me want to take a closer look. Cool, very cool!

8. yee harr! takes a real man to cut up a packard. cant wait to see more.

9. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

thanks or all the comments, i know its a radical chop, but I like it. Maybe I can convince you guys otherwise as the build goes on.

10. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

My brother and had one of those a few years back, the straight 8 was shot so we sold it. We should of kept it and chopped it like you are doing. Looks like a pretty extreme chop but looks good, keep us updated.

11. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

i originally bought the car for the straight eight, its one badass engine! 327!

12. Pros: When you get all finished, I think it's gonna look really goddamn mean.

Cons: You won't be seeing shit around you. :)

13. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

Ya, I hear they sound great with straight duals out the back...Man I should of kept that car...oh well:(

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i had a 53 2 door just like that, love those cars.
    you got nuts to chop it that far. personally, i think it looks like a little much, like 2" to much all around. that's just me though...
    either way, nice work.

15. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

Looks like the B pillar is hanging down a bit, do you have enough to raise the roof a little?

16. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

yep, i got plenty, there is no way in hell im raising it! It's still long because I wanted the excess for when i slant the b's.

17. Old Gold

Old Gold

It will get there. Here is my 51' with a 5" & 8" chop and 4 to 2 door conversion. Ya just got to keep plugging away;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  18. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

thanks old gold! you have helped A lot with the chop info. today i got one of my b pillars slanted and she is looking mean! i for got the flashcard to my camera so pic's will have to wait.

19. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

A little update, got started on the b pillar slant, I think its coming along nicely,and it makes her look MEAN!
    side view:
    [​IMG]
    3/4's:
    [​IMG]
    Close up:
    [​IMG]

20. oh yeah, thats lookin mean! keep them pics coming, i liking how its comin along.

21. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

hey man, your entitled to your opinion, and you may think it looks cartoony, but I dig it. I think that a car, especially a custom car reflects its owner and so far it is spot on! WILD AND CRAZY, not im too worried about what other people think and chopped 3 inches.

22. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i think those cars are ugly as sin so i dont think u ruined it. but i do think its too much if u want my opinion of the chop. what ever makes u happy

23. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

BloodSweatSteel, don't listen to the naysayers. I want to chop my '53 Clipper like all hell. They are one of the best looking cars chopped and you don't see them very often. Keep on choppin brother! I'll be using your process as inspiration!!

24. loco 52 ragtop

loco 52 ragtop

Want to sell the side trim if you don't use it

25. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

a little update
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is what i think :D
    [​IMG]

and most of the trim will be up for sale at some point and the rear window, anybody know who needs it?

26. I believe you need someone with an English wheel to put a compound curve in that filler piece. The roof curves until it hits the filler then flattens out. The relief cuts at the front seem too far towards the center. I have never chopped a top, but all that I have seen have the reliefs at the corners. There is a dip that is going to cause a lot of grief when it's time to fit the glass. Just my substandard observation

27. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

Im building an english wheel for the sail panels soon, now for the filler being flat i can assure you it is not, its just not a compound curve and hard to see from a photograph

28. That was my point, it needs to be a compound curve.

29. keep the pics coming, i like where this is going.

30. BloodSweatSteel

BloodSweatSteel

I understand your point, the upper window roof section is not flat! nor is the lower section. both panels have curvature in the x, and y direction. it is impossible to capture it in a photograph.

thanks kiwi