Register now to get rid of these ads!

The HAMB outreach list for the newer rodders! Mentors needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Mar 15, 2009.

1. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

All right Jaker go to the principles office on that one...:D

2. The older I get the more I realize there is to learn and know. It never stops:).

3. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Isn't the right quote: "The older I get, the more I learn the less I know."

4. Same meaning. My own dribble;)

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Mentor is a lot bigger term than that. It can be as simple as somebody more experienced that's seen your car once and is willing to talk on the phone when it's kicking your ass. I don't think it needs a shop apprentice relationship, good mentors weed out selfish people real fast and the reward comes from elsewhere.

The other thing is mentors aren't all-powerful. There's gonna be stuff the "student" is alot better at. It just probably isn't cars. That learning thing is a 2 way street.......

6. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I couldnt agree with you more.. What even pisses me off more than that is if your working for someone and ask for information or a simple favor that is in their job description and they either fuck around for weeks on end like their busy or till you remind them a couple hundred times nothing happens.. My recently now ex boss was like that... Fucker sure made like he was busy . Just dont ask for anything... Ha Ha ... Im Free ... Better get back on thread here... Hang in there im sure someone will offer assistance... I can tell you want to learn... Thats a good thing..
    Dave
    ps: In the Ham Radio hobby we always called them elmers instead of mentors...
    I have elmered quite a few young hams... Its fun and rewarding teaching someone the ins and outs of long range and short range communication...

7. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

im currently teaching 4 people, all of whom are older than me, and all of whom iv aided in the retrieval, or finding their cars for em

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

for 12 WHOLE years?

i got boots older than you, and i'm still fumbling around in the dark some days

my shop is always open to someone who wants to watch, learn, or even show us all a lil something

9. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

^^

Thats kinda what I was thinking....almost exactly....Kinda proved the point I guess.

I dont know shit, But am game....I certainly know how to cut shit up and put it back together.

10. And in turn the younger guys could set the VCR the TV controler and program the computor.........

11. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

You have a dad like i did ? :)... I used to ignore the fact he wanted me to do that shit trying to get him to learn .. He never did
    Dave

12. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Great idea Johnny1290! I'm impressed seeing this thread come from you (no offense dude). A good mentor in anything is pretty important. Maybe this will help get some of those ugly/rat builds off the street.

13. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

We all stumble, but quite frankly there's 12 years experience, then there's those guys that have a year of experience 12 times.

A guy that age with 12 sequential years of experience can teach an awful lot to the average classic car owner. I certainly wouldn't look down at em for offering to help

I remember being 16 and regularly taking old dudes to school on simple stuff like understanding how points or positrac works. You could be a midget on the HAMB but be a knowledge giant in real life.

That's why this place rocks

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  14. The Cap'n

The Cap'n
    from Kansas

15. 1953 Rat

1953 Rat

I agree this is a great idea! I'm 27 but this is my first crack at building an early model car. I usually mess around with muscle cars. If there is anyone in the phoenix or scottsdale area who is willing to let me ask questions id like to hear the answers.

16. bluestang67

bluestang67

Giving free labor for knowledge is how I learned . This is how it gets passed down also I have a project at the stage to teach a little body work and prep .

I would also be willing still to trade for some more metal fabbing with equipment instead of the caveman stuff like stairs , sawhorses and angle iron .

17. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

VCR? Man, you weren't kidding when you said you were old! :)

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Totally intended as a joking comment, and it's been an obsession for 12 years

I'm always interested at learning, or teaching, but i'm really finding it hard to find old guys who i can learn stuff from, that's why i'm on the HAMB, but I love the dumbfounded look some of you old guys get when i start talking:)

this is a good idea and i'd lend a hand or knowlage to any local young guys here too

As soon as i can get my garage, up there will be some HAMB-shattering stuff coming outa my sick mind, some of it is already in the works!!

19. This thread has discussed a very valid and great idea. What hasnt been brought out is , How do you set up a "mentoring system " ? Would the powers above allow such a program on the HAMB ? What is the criteria for a HAMB mentor? What categories and locales would a mentor represent? What times would the HAMB mentor be available? Now many students to a HAMB mentor?
    This may not seem too important but if you want to put together a system that works and makes people happy, these questions will need answers and agreement.

So first things first would Ryan allow such a program on the HAMB ? I dont know what is the best way to approach the question . Maybe a PM to him ?

20. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

great idea,maybe a classified section sorta deal,example; wanted; someone to work saturdays in exchange for knowledge.just a thought.also want to mention how much of you are mentors just by posting ansers to every guestion that ive so far seen on here.now if every one here could get a kid to throw an ear to the hamb,that would be somethin too.

21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

HAMBLA has got to be the funniest thing I've read on here in a while! :)

22. saints

saints

Yep Im in the NEEDS SCHOOLING CATAGORY 32 been wrenching on mustangs for 10 years just became obsessed with 30's,40's, and 50's cars but dont know crap about them!!!!!.....Ive in the past 6 months bought a 54 chevy truck, 54 210, 55 buick special...trying to get a 30's car but the luck hasnt been there......would love to learn the ways of these awesome cars......right now Im saving for a 30's coupe of some kind

23. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I wish I could find a person young or older that would like to learn what I know . I would teach anyone what I know as long as they would listen and learn ! I am 55 and don't know crap compaired to many of you . I have always learned by book or take it apart and figuring it out that way ! I live in a small town and very few hotrods around . There is one guy here and will tell you anything you ask him . He is a HAMBer and most everyone knows him . If there is anyone near me that wants to learn , I will be glad to teach them anything that I know . I am not looking for free labor to build my cars , just someone that wants to learn and they can ask me anything . I will show you how to do it or even go to your place and show you how to do your own rod . Just email me and ask , that's all you have to do . Would love to help someone ! Now I am teaching myself to weld ! I am in Abbottstown , PA near York , Hanover & Gettysburg . Traditional Hot Rodding is the Greatest !

24. DE79

DE79
    from Austin,Tx

Great thread and great Idea.Hope it works out for all.

25. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

sacramento area anybody? I am a broke college student but i have a car to work on and can't afford any of the really nice tools...... anyone? thanks for the great thread!

26. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Keep in mind that the good mentors are students (not the right word, but you know what I mean) at the same time. I've got many skills I could teach someone new, but there are many subjects that I'm a student in at the same time. Sometimes you are a co-mentor relationship with the same person, depending on the activity or subject the one or the other takes the lead.

Don't think this has to be as formal as some are describing, how many hours, what to do what not to do, who cares.

There is so much knowledge being shared on this site and the setup of the HAMB works great for that but there is so much skill as well, can we find a way to share the skill as well as we share the knowledge?

27. If there is no structure or definition to the system it will be short lived ! The HAMB does a great job of the informational mentorship online . If this is all that is needed, what is the need for a mentor program? I'm not talking getting a process so formal it takes all the fun out of it. I'm merely suggesting addressing some small issues . How do you identify a local mentor to the rest of the people on the HAMB? Maybe a small line at the bottom of your HAMB signature stating your need or offer ? You could turn it on or off depending on your availablity? What segment of the hot rod are you skilled in ? I would at least hope that the mentor is skilled in a particular element of the auto, be it paint , metal suspension ,fabrication, ect.
    While we all get to know each other on the HAMB and there are many great people on the HAMB , some of us are still strangers to each other. Is everyone comfortable in allowing strangers into there homes "carte blanche". 3# am phone call with a new baby at home ? I'm trying to point out the things that may and will probably become an issue . We have already seen someone misunderstand another on an offer .

If your going to do it do it correctly !

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  28. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Agreed there should be some structure so both mentor and mentee know what to expect, but if you make it too formal it becomes a apprentice type setup that's what we shouldn't want (at least I don't) when you get to approved mentors and mentees and having to do anything that takes all the fun out. Should be somewhat freeform with some guidelines (not rules) so we all know what to expect.

Something similar to what Big Brother Big Sister organization does but driven by skills not age or gender.

Also see a lot of things about this being an age thing.. not necessarily so, I know plenty of younger guys that could teach me a thing or two and lot's of older guys that could (and should) listen to the younger crowd.

29. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I was just thinking of somethiing along the lines of someone posting they're available or they're interested and leave it as informal as that.

If someone wants to spearhead a moral formal deal, more power to them, I'm just not sure it's really needed at the moment.

Then again my best ideas frequently get blown away by people on here with more experience and knowledge than me that come up with some truly great stuff, so what the heck do I know. :)

30. Vermonster

Vermonster

How young do I have to be to count as a "young'in"?

I am new, and eager to learn. If anyone is nearby and wants to swap stories and share suds over the fender, let me know...