Register now to get rid of these ads!

ALTERNATOR bracket for 235 Chevy??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Well, the jolly red Underworld Elf ain't so jolly these days since I went and bought a Stovebolt powered heap (which means his home is frozen over, ya know!)...and me bein' new to these engines, I ain't sure what rocks to kick over when looking for upgrade parts!

Anyone have...or know where to get a bracket to mount an internally regulated 63 amp GM alternator to one of these motors? A search turned up some old classified ads and some vague mention that hinted to the notion that such an artifact might indeed exist out there, so I'm remaining 'cautiously optimistic'!

As of yet, Langdon's has been no help...so anyone got any other "ideers" (to steal a Teutelism there!)???

Thanks, Gang...if anyone will know, you folks will!!

:):cool:

2. smschriefer

smschriefer

You mean one like this? ;)

3. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

[​IMG] Remember painting your alternator flat black makes more amps and is the old 'new gold' so you will be partially in style with 13-17% of hot rod enthusiasts.:D

Make your own using all-thread and the generator bracket or cut and paste (weld) a tab for the alternator on the genny bracket; or just use the generator (been running good for 50 years that way). Or support your local small business owner and have the genny rebuilt (if it needs it).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

SWEET!!!!

Thanks!!! :):cool::)

5. Alan Groves has em too I believe.

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

7. No prob. I like his stuff, simple and doesn't break the bank.

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

For sure...the price is right on that one!! :cool:

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I've never tried it, but a stock 1963 Chevy alternator bracket might work. This would be for a 283, or 327 out of a 1963 full size Chevy. It bolts on to the exhaust manifold just like the 55-62 generator brackets. The small block lower generator bracket will interchenge with the 235 lower bracket, so the 63 lower alternator bracket should also. Brackets from 64 Chevys are different though.

10. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

These are very simple to fab up if you got access to a welder!!!
    I used my stock gen brackets, and made mine up in probadly 30mins
    Cost 0 bucks, and thats the amount I like best

Shadetree

11. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Just wanted to throw a word of "Thanks" out to Tman and everyone else who offered suggestions!

I ended up ordering a kit from Alan Grove Components and couldn't be happier! It arrived in a couple days and was VERY nice! It installed easily and the fit was precise!

I outlined the complete installation in my wiring thread, but here's a couple pics for anyone who's looking to convert their 55-62 Chevy 235 from a generator to an alternator...

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Attached Files:

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

This is what I did on my 235 equipped GMC truck. Used an alternator bracket from a mid 60's Chevy (six cylinder type) and had to drill one new hole. The other hole worked with alternator lining up just fine. Adjustment strap from generator will work as is.

13. ok guys, i just picked up a 55 with the good ole 6 in it on monday night, genny pooped the sheets last night, i need me a bracket.. let me mention that i have original AC that WORKS, vintage air had a setup.. but you have to buy there alternator, and eniter ac kit.. wich i dont need.. if theres something availble that i can get for a resonable price ill pick it up, if not ill fab one up.. thanks for any input

14. Not sure why you can't adjust the old top bracket and use a long bolt with a spacer of some sort on the bottom, the last one I pulled had a spacer in the bracketry.

15. let my appologize for being a moron tonight, i just clicked on the like for the alangrove site, they have it... :)

16. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I just did mine a few weeks ago, I flipped the bracket and redrilled one hole made a longer spacer and bam! Lined up perfect.

17. Window Licker

Window Licker

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

18. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

I used the old bracket from the generator and flipped it around. Only had to drill one hole and then I fabbed my own slide top bracket. I'll try to find a pic somewhere.

19. nashvegas99

nashvegas99

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

^^^^^thats what i did also.^^^^^^
    Hole to be added will be very clear once you invert the bracket

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad