Register now to get rid of these ads!

1952 Chevy Coupe Bumper Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AustinPhoenix, Mar 19, 2009.

1. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

I have both bumpers to my 52 coupe. I called around and re-chroming both bumpers will be almost 600 bucks plus tax. Questions for you guys/gals...

Is this a good deal?

Are there suitable replacement bumpers that cost less?

Are there other bumpers that will fit (suitable replacements)?

Thanks all!!

2. Lucky444

Lucky444

3. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

If thats a first class chrome shop, tripple plated and a track record of it lasting I would say thats a decent price.

4. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

I think i paid 150 per bumper. for one bumper they were passing through bakersfield and we did a swap. the other I dropped off at the same time and they brought it to march meets for me.

for the life of me i can not remember the name of the company. they hit most the swaps and are in the LA area.

I got a quote to get the grill re-chromed and decided to paint it and polish up the teeth. I can not remember the price but i think it was around 1k.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You must be referring to "Bumper Boyz"...do a search on here for threads on them...BEFORE you buy from them.

R-

6. lotus

lotus
    from Taft, CA

No, I had read about them so I steered away from them. These guys had a BIG red truck. wish I could remember the name.

also, not really related but sorta is...Chrome in 1952 sucked!
    It is refered to as Korean Chrome...during the Korean War there was a lack of nickel so that step in the chroming process was omitted.

7. Slide

Slide

8. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

yeah...the shop said they triple plated everything and would work out dents if needed. The guys sounded knowledgeable and told me stuff about the bumpers they did specifically. I got a quote from a guy in Corpus that would be around 400 each!!! wowsa

I need to get a polishing wheel for the grille. Are the grilles pot metal or what? I really liked the matte black grille with polished teeth...SUPER sharp look!@! I don't know if I'm going all chrome on the grille or the setup you had Lotus...they both look so sweet

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

Check out "Denver Bumper" as well. I liked their work and their prices.

10. Slide

Slide

The teeth are pot metal, but the rest of the grille is stamped steel. It's all held together with rivets, but you can drill them out to more easily re-plate (or paint). Then put them back together with some #10 machine screws.

Word to the wise: don't plate the rear portion of the center bar. It will show a reflection of the ugly underside of the hood latch mechanism. These were just painted silver from the factory, but they look kinda cool when you paint that part body color.

You can get repops of the outer "horseshoe" pieces that surround the park lights. And I think you can get the middle- and lower bars for a 51 (no teeth).