Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My stumps too big

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl E. Hagan Jr., Mar 18, 2009.

1. Ha.....yeah....I got myself a stump for some sheet metal shaping & it's big enough to make two stumps out of.

Ok...so I'm here in KC & if you need a stump & have the ability to cut this thing in half, then You can have Yours for free.

This is a big stump, maybe 2-1/2' with a tape going straight across the center of it. I'm 6' & this thing stands a little taller than my belly...hahaha..

So.....anyone.....I did call some local Arbor Co's but they all want an arm & a leg to cut it in half & I've already paid to get this stump, so I'm looking to trade a good straight cut for the other half of this stump. The wood is super hard.

Carl Hagan

2. bttt.....in case anyone needing a FREE STUMP in the KC area missed seeing this. Delete it if it upsets anyone. Cool..... Carl Hagan

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

the neihbors kid used a stump on the farm,but that's another story and the animal rights ppl are still investigating.

4. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

2 words......

Chainsaw Tiki

5. ssgkennedy

ssgkennedy

I watched a Mennonite kid cut a 18" dia stump for me, took a half hour, and 15 bucks. If that thing is truly a 30" stump that would take all day with a standard saw, you'd need a two person saw.

6. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

I use a chainsaw alot. For a big stump you might be surprised at how you could split it with some wedges and a big sledge. I have a nice oak one I'm going to use, already made a leather beater bag and Louiseville bat 'hammer', stump I have now is too soft.

7. It's rediculous how big this hickory stump is. Carl

8. The "stump" i'm using for metal shaping was a 20X20 beam from a warehouse that I cut to 4 feet long. I put 2 different radius' in it one each end. One end is 8" the other 5" so I just flip the stump over depending on the shape I want to form.

I'm a woodworker by another hobby & study and practice the harvesting & drying of wood.

Edit: while I was typing you posted Hickory. The strongest of US woods. You hit one of those beams & they literally ring. I did harvest a hickory tree in Michigan & the sawyer (sawmill guy) I contracted could not mill some of my Hickory & he had a $35,000 Woodmiser bandsaw mill. Your stump is bacially a rock save it however possible.

Movin/on

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009