Register now to get rid of these ads!

how many HAMBers are pilots?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dawg, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do ultralights count ? I flew dem .

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I've never been in an airplane larger than a piper cherokee. well, not while it was flying anyway...

3. phukinartie

phukinartie

HAHAHAHA! i had to read that 3 times outloud before I got it

4. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was going to get pilots licence last year but bought another car instead(sigh). I've wanted to fly since my grandpa took me up in a small plane when the Farm Bureau was doing farm flyovers in the county when I was 7. Someday.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive Been a PP for 9 years and owned and opperated for 4.5 of those 9..currently flying a Glass cockpit Turbo 182 that is company owned.

Its a thrill
    hours and hours of pure boredom interupted by moments of shear terror..lol just kidding.

its a very rewarding experiance. times are getting a little tuffer for private pilots..at least from the stand point of security issues..

SEL IFR Used to own N8907V sold it to my friend in florida

currently slowing down because of the economy..think i have about 4 to 500 hours

was F.I.T.S. trained in Kansas at Cessna for their TAA- CE-T182 in 2004

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

not a pilot but i build parts for planes for a living, would like to get my licience but have inner ear problems now and it throws me off bad. used to fly powered parachutes back in Ohio. It is nice to be surrounded by small airplanes under construction in an old school plant though. this topic should be fine here, seems Hambers and airplanes get along pretty good. Most car guys i know love airplanes. If any of you are ever in Moultrie, come by maule Aircraft and ask them to give you a tour. we still build em like in the old days. :)

7. a bloke

a bloke

[​IMG]Does this count?
    This is me in the highlands of Scotland.
    [​IMG]

I used to fly paragliders a bit, not so much now but I have a couple of hundred hours, in 7 countries, thermalling and dynamic soaring. It's a real kick flying into a thermal and feeling your 9-ply seat bend under you as you're hauled skywards. Chasing rabbits a few feet off the ground and hearing streams burble as you fly over them are pretty cool too.
    Mind you, I'd rather be doing this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I've got about 12 hrs worth of flying lessons. Short of a solo.
    Ridden in a few War Birds, T-6 Texan, B-25, P-40 Warhawk, Beech-C45,
    Stearman(flew it a little). C-47.
    Built airplanes in the "Air Capitol of the World"(Wichita)
    LOVE just about any kind of 1930 to 1945 prop job. :)

9. Ebert

Ebert

[​IMG]

This is the closest I have come....this is me on the right!!!! HA!!!!!!

10. Been flying nearly 20 years now, it has got a lot more expensive in the last few years though. I got my ticket in '89 for about $2700.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dwFzdfs92ZE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dwFzdfs92ZE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's a couple of the planes I have owned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  11. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Me Too SEL, Inst

Anyone can fly a plane it takes a pilot to land one

Gary

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

14. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

How do you know theres a pilot in the room?
    he tells everyone.

Im working on it. I've got my medical and working on ground school. I have a few hours in the air, but nothing logged and signed off. I really want to go into taildraggers and will start as soon as money allows. its hard to put cash into the roadster and flight hours. so lately my model A has been getting my attention

15. LongT

LongT

Private out of Key West in 1966. SEL, MEL Commercial, had CFI and CFII. Didn't like instructing. Couldn't find any other work flying. Made 8 parachute jumps including a malfunction and a "000", bullseye in an accuracy competition from 3000 feet.

US Navy aircrew with 44 catapult takeoffs from an aircraft carrier, sitting in the back seat. Grumman S-2 twin engine recip.

Wish I could afford it.

Bill

16. Ramblur

Ramblur

17. swanwaco32

swanwaco32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I started in 1978 and have about 2700 hours. First ship was 1948 Stinson 108-3 then 1937 Stinson Reliant SR-9, 1946 Piper Cub J-3,1955 Cessna 180, 1954 Cessna 195,1932 Waco UEC Cabin Biplane (still have) and 1966 Beech Bonanza. I have been so LUCKY to have flown so many other makes and models that I can,t beleave it!!! It has taken me so many places and have made so many Friends!!!!! John Swander

18. Love those Connies. Smoothest damn plane I ever rode in. Thought it was a lot better than a DC-7. Only problem is ... Ya can't fly one if you're over 35....... They figure anyone older than that can't handle 3 pieces of tail at one time ......... :D:D:D:D

19. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

Here.

My 8 year old son got on me the other day with, "Dad, you told me you were gonna teach me to fly while I was still a kid!!"

' guess I'd better get movin'

20. Last edited: Mar 19, 2009

21. WOW! IT looks like you had your hands full of some Wright 3350's there!! I had my hands on a 3350 for a while(an early model, not a turbo compound though).

[​IMG]

It looks like someone has been feverishly working on that Connie out on Kermits front lawn? ( I live in Auburndale) I hear that there gonna ferry it out of there.

I started out towards an LSA, but decided to go ahead an shoot for full PPL, it just soooo hard to come up with money and time,......and money:rolleyes:, for flight time these days though.

As far as an A/P, I've passed all three tests on paper, I just don't have the 30 months of pay stubs show the FAA, dammit!

Here is a Pitts S1T that I have about 80% finished. I'm gonna have to find someone with an S2 to qualify when she's finished, though.

[​IMG]

22. Milgan

Milgan

I gave up on my privet ticket with only 10hrs under my belt. Bought an old Hanglider instead. that was six years ago. still have the glider and some story's that still scare the hell out of me. so now i build cars on the ground were I'm safe from myself.

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Growing up I always wanted to fly, joined air cadets and all. Then went flying and realized I liked the aircraft more than the flying! Hey, I never said I wasnt a strange guy!

Worked at a couple of museums restoring aircraft, though almost all to static not flying condition (Morrabbin, Old Aeroplane Company, HMAS Albatross Historic Flight , Australian Museum of Flight NAS Nowra and Caloundra Aircraft Museum) Some of the highlights to work on were.......
    DAP Mk21 Beaufighter, DAP Beaufort (Nose section), P-40E, P-40N(Ultra rare Merlin powered), MkVIII Spitfire, CAC Wirraway, CAC Wackett, CAC18 Mustang, CAC Sabre, Vampire, Seafury, and my favorite CAC Boomerang!!
    You may have to look some of them up, most of them were Australian built in WWII and latter.
    Thought Id join the Air force but ended up (Thank GOD) in the Army where I managed to log many many MANY hours in the back as self loading cargo in Caribou's, C-130s, Iroquois, Blackhawks, Chinooks etc. Also managed to take off 2660 times but not return with the aircraft (No, they were NOT perfectly good!) until a parachute accident ended that and my Army career.
    I had a house mate untill recently that just spent 6 months full time and 70 grand doing his commercial helicopter pilots license. Looked for a job for 3 months and gave it up when he didn't get one, crazy!
    But then again, we all know helicopters don't fly, they just vibrate so much the earth rejects them.

Hey Ramblur, is that the Connie that ended up in Australia with HARS? Looks familiar but I cant work out why?
    Doc.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  24. Ramblur

Ramblur

Wow,HRH,sweet Pitts. We need to hang out some.Yes there hot and heavy on the Connie and they R&R'd the engines last year so I'm hoping that they'll
    fly it again. I've been purposely steering clear cause I know I'd be sucked
    "Wright" back in if I got to close.:D Here it is landing at Fantasy after the
    first missed approach due to losing hydraulics to lower the flaps. Thats
    gotta tighten any pilot up while trying to sit this down on a grass strip...:eek:

[​IMG]

25. Ramblur

Ramblur

DW,Sadly no,the Connie in the pic was a ramp queen at the Sebring
    B17 base/airport/race track all thru the 70's and into the 80's when
    I got in with a couple retired Pan Am line mechanics to strip her down
    for a move to the Avon Park Bombing range as a static display. After
    thoroughly gutting her for the move the deal fell apart and the airframe
    was scrapped.It had been used to haul cattle so you can imagine the
    corrosion going on in that fuselage.I never knew where all the bits and
    pieces went tho and the supposed Howard Hughes entry in the logs...

The one next door now is N974RL.

26. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch! Hughes history too, well more than the fact that the aircraft was built to his specifications at his request, but one actually flown by him! A lot of his personal rides ended up sitting for decades until scrapped, all with very low hours. There was one Connie that had less than 100 hours that was a personal aircraft that was parked at the old Hughes field (I think) and left to rot. Same with some B-25s and A-26s that were bought to convert to civil small liners.
    Thinking about it now, I have asked the same question and hadthe same reply before! Im slipping in my....er.....old age.

I would love to get into Kermit's hangars, he used to drop into Morrabbin Museum when he was down under offering exorbitant amounts for the Beaufighter. I hear he bough a Mk 10 out of the UK that is destined to fly. Man would I love to see that!
    Doc.
    Doc.

27. Skunk Works

Skunk Works

Check!

Attached Files:

28. 402

Student pilot.

My instructor flew Corsairs during the war.

29. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

Count me in! My time is in bonanza,starduster too,& rv4. A great activity that compliments hotrods well. Hey daveydeuce, did ya know that s-39 sikorsky thats been on the flyin circut recently came from the kingfish/nanek area. Dick jackson rescued it in the early 60;s y;all stop in @ 3c1 any time. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.