Register now to get rid of these ads!

The HAMB outreach list for the newer rodders! Mentors needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

When I was in college and broke I wanted to leave school to pursue car stuff. Luckily I was told by older and wiser people that an education came first, cars second, and eventually that sank in. Finally I found some guys that let me work on their cars a bit, and helped me stay focused on graduating.

I wrote a hamber that was struggling with jr college and not having a hotrod that he can work on my car all he wants, I'll teach him what little I know, he can practice welding, whatever, as long as be stays in college.

Don't drop out because you can't afford the car you want right now is the message I intended.

I also started thinking about it, and figured I'm sure there are hambers closer to the guy that would appreciate some help, so I thought I'd start a mentor list for anybody interested.

I know I would have loved to have been able to wrench with you guys in college when I didn't have anything cool to work on, or heck somebody that could teach me a thing or two!

I got to 'work' a little on some race cars and was totally proud! It was just cool to hang out at the shop with the crew!

Anyway so the offer is out there, if you love cars but can't afford one right now cuz you're in school, pm me for my number. I dunno much but if you wanna spin a wrench with me the door is open.

Do I even have to say I'm not a pedo or into guys? Sorry to dissapoint some of you! :D

2. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

I would also like to teach a younen not just hot rods but any auto restoration. Schooling is important but the class room is only one part.

3. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

I'm up for the task let me know

4. Any young-un in the vicinity of north snohomish county, washington would always be welcome in my shop too. They can pm me anytime and set something up

5. shame you guys are so far away..i know i could use some udumacation...this old style, open wheeled, build a car thing sure as hell isn't easy....but then i'm no spring chicken any more so

6. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

I'm gonna bump this because i feel it deserves it. :)

7. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Sounds good to me. Finding that young guy that doesn't already "know everything" is gonna be the hard part.

8. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

LOL!! :D I remember being there. Thought i had life by the balls when i was 20-25. 20 years later i realize just how wrong i was.

9. boldventure

boldventure

Man, what a bummer, there were no HAMB'ers when I was a kid. This mentoring plan sounds like a worth while idea.
    All (well maybe just one but...)those kids we all worry about, the ones that don't know how to do HAMB work, might just get a jump start.

10. plmczy

plmczy

Some of us middle aged hot rodders could use some mentoring too:). Learning from a book is good but learning hands on with someone who knows is the best way, imop. later shawn

11. boldventure

boldventure

I was kinda thinkin' that too..
    Some of us old farts wouldn't mind be allowed to play with the "cool toys" either....I'm just sayin'....

12. Kirsten

Kirsten

I'm technically not a kid but I'd love the opportunity to work with someone local who could show me the ropes. Anyone in Northern Nevada willing?

13. pinman 39

pinman 39

GREAT IDEA . THAT USED TO BE WHAT WE CALLED "STREET rODDING "
    HELPING OTHER GUYS OUT! I'VE LEARNED ALOT FROM "RODDERS " GUYS
    WITH 100,000 MILES ON A CAR CAN TELL YOU HOW HE DID IT NOT WHAT
    SHOP IT CAME FROM
    MESSAGE OLD GUYS IGNORE THE TATTS AND PEIRCINGS THERE ARE SOME GOOD KIDS OUT THERE .
    MESSAGE KIDS IF YOU WANT TO LEARN ABOUT HOT RODS GO TO THE BACK ROW OF THE SHOW AND ASK THE GUY WITH ROCK CHIPS AND PITTED CRAGGERS HOW TO DO SOMETHING !
    NOT THE 4;00 AM POWER PARKING TRAILER JOCKEY .

"REMEMBER WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER "

14. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Ray,
    I could use some help with fabricating/metalwork. You have a wheel? Ever done door bottoms on a car like mine (mid 30's GM)?

15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

But then again some of us do :)

I'm 24 and been doing it since i was 12, and now have enough projects to last the rest of my life!

This is exacly how i learned the basics though

16. Mopar34

Mopar34

I think that this is a great idea and I hope it grows. Most of the youngins around my area already know as much or more than I do, or at least they think so.:eek::D Even my daughter who has never picked up a wrench tells me she knows it all.:rolleyes:

17. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i have a '51 merc that im going to be working on in about a week, and some help would be nice if anyone wants to learn, hell we could learn together. I have to build floors, rockers, a front clip swap and all the little custom treatments later

18. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

This is a great idea.. not much hot-rod experience here, but plenty of restoration knowledge, the hot-rod stuff is my hobby, the restoration part my business.

Anyone in far North-East Dallas that wants to learn, need help, wants to help me, learn specialty tools is welcome by me.

This is such a great idea.. we should make this thread a sticky for a while or give it it's own spot in the classified section.

19. bigds54

bigds54
    from Sun Valley

Anyone mentoring in El Paso....:D

20. Jaker

Jaker

you could call it 'Hambla'

only kidding... good idea

21. mrdodge

mrdodge

An excellent idea. I wish I had something like this when I was younger. Come to think of it, even now it would be cool. Anyone in NZ interested...?

22. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Is there anyone in the Chicago area that would be willing to help me out with some patch panels for my door bottoms? I PM'd one of the people who offered above, but their offer was apparently an empty one and they have not responded.

Anybody who is serious about this, please let me know. I really want to get the chance to make these panels myself and learn a little shaping in the process. Thanks!

23. racer756

racer756

LMFAO- great to see Im not the only "warped" person on here.:D

24. I'm finding it easier to be that guy as each year passes, 'cept for the 'young' part...

25. That's just plain sick and wrong. I respect that! :D

26. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Awesome idea. Put me on that list. The hard part will be finding someone that knows less than me! Just kidding. Kinda! No panel forming here, but plenty of troubleshooting help to be had.

Did I mention? Awesome idea.

27. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

I'm 38. I don't know shit. I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama. Will sweep shop floors for wiring, brake plumbing/setup, steering linkage help. :D

28. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I think some of you guys are missing the point. You go into the Mentor's shop and he let's you watch or do some work in exchange for his (or her's) knowledge and wisdom. I don't think this is a call for a "Mentor" to come to your house and fix your car for free.

29. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Most anyone that is following your post knows who your talking about. Be cool. Shit dont happen over night ... Hopefully he will get back to you and help you out. I dont know by his post if it was actually an offer though or just a sarcastic answer that maybe should have not been posted...
    Go easy ... dont make any enemies.
    Dave

30. 35PontiacCoupe

35PontiacCoupe
    from COS

Yea, I was a little out of line with that, I had just come back in from pissing around with the doors.

I get really frustrated with people who don't follow up with things. I still don't understand the number of businesses and individuals who don't return calls or answer questions. I can't even count the number of times that I've called a business and gotten the run-around from them or no call-back. It boggles my mind!

I don't know if it's the military in me or just the young age, but it seems like if you're going to offer something- whether it's a service, a product, or help, you should stand behind your word. Maybe that's just the naive "kid" in me.

I'm not trying to create enemies here, that comment was the result of all that frustration at the lack of help I've gotten in the past few days- not just with this, but other things as well.