Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are you working on you latest project ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by New Old Fart, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Easy.....at 60, I've seen some of my friends die off...shook me a little and I took a long look at that mental list of cars I need to own/build before I die...at the top of the list was a 33-34 ford coupe hotrod. I don't know why I'd been satisfied with anything less that the "list topper" for all these years. I've spent [wasted?] time building all manner of pickups, a few jeeps, many Pontiacs and a lot of "non list' cars that I'd always sell off.....well, I wnated to get started on my list-topper and model 40 parts began falling into my life about a year ago.....I'm about 3/5ths through my 34 chopped coupe with a BIG caddy mill and a 5 speed with a big fat Frankland quick change...all the parts I wanted in my hotrod with the possible exception of a T-56, 6 speed ....that may come later. I'm still excited.

Attached Files:

2. Really? I need a better nailhead for my trusty 54 Special Riv.

Attached Files:

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have 4 of em, projects.

54 Chev PU. Fell in love with the R&C Dream truck as a kid and always wanted an "angel hair" kustom from the 60s. Great truck for that.

61 Belair H.T. (bubbletop). I just like em. Always wanted a 62 but I guess I like the 61 better. Something more "pissed off" looking about em. It was too good to pass up at the time and I BLAME fellow HAMBer scottyt for that. :D

41 Packard 160 buisness cpe. A keeper and a home run. Love em. I like coupes anyway and if I was a wealthy collector there's be coupes of all types and makes.

47 Packard Custom Super Clipper. Same big 160 motor and one of the slickest raked windshields of the pre/post-war era. Pretty sexy for a 4dr sedan. I guess I was in the right place at the right time.

4. You got the "high school hot rod" you wanted me to build out of that '52 Ford mordor! but a 55 Chevy is much cooler. Congrats buddy!

Dooligans foreva'

The NEXT project, is the T touring I've always wanted, I'm too large for a regular T bucket, but like the street legal go kart idea of one, so you can stretch out a touring and I fit, and it can be done up on a late 60s-early 70's style that I like... HotRodHabit had a 23 Bucket mold he was about to get rid of, I had a tax refund, so I made up a couple bodies to piece together.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Great answer. I've been looking for an update on this coupe. *ahem*

6. toxictom

toxictom

because i wanna know if i can build an model A roadster from scratch! and learn from my mistakes for the next project. everybody can buy an hotrod,a few can build one..:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

7. kookee

kookee

I got tired of life's hurdles and decided I did not want to be a knowledgable spectator anymore, and get my hands dirty learning.

I could not afford what I wanted, and thought that research had served me well. Now, I am in over my head and trying to figure my way out.

Small in budget, small in skill, but big project.:eek:

I will push through though, as I do not want to be a project starter that never finishes...

Someday I will get my dream car (33/34 Ford) but I have committed. Besides, once the family names your car, you have to keep it. My wife and son named it "Shitty Shitty Bang Bang". Think it may have stuck..

8. I'm wanting to fund my kids school tuition next year with the King Fisher project I've been posting lately. Carl Hagan "you'll find the thread if you look"

9. Scott F.

Scott F.

It's my first old car. I wanted to see if I really would enjoy working on an old car but I didn't want to break the bank. I also wanted something I could drive while working on. I saw this 1953 Dodge on CL and went to check it out. Needed a fair amount of work, which is what I was after, and I drove it home for under $1000. After spending half of last summer working on the wiring I have conquered most of the electrical and a few other problem areas and i find that I enjoy working on it just a little less than I enjoy driving it. I absolutely love doing both though. It is therapy.
    This summer, lowering and hopefully bodywork!!

Scott

Attached Files:

10. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

It won't fix its self :)

11. weldtoride

weldtoride

firingorder1:

Wow. Looks real interesting, howabout more pics?

12. weldtoride

weldtoride

I commuted by this for almost 6 months, I wondered about it a lot, but for some reason never stopped. One night I saw a re-run of Monster Garage, the show where they chopped a '54 Chevy. The next morning on the way to work this car practically screamed my name. It's a '53 Buick, and a hardtop, but a strong family resemblance to the car they did, and I actually like this better as a start, so I ended up with it. My nephew did the rendering.

Attached Files:

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

I am working on my latest project in case I need to go somewhere.
    Its my daily driver for the last 16 years.

14. skidsteer

skidsteer

when I was a kid, I always wanted a '40 Ford. Finallly started shopping for one a few years ago, and everything I found was out of my price range. My brother told me about a '39 dodge a neighbor had, saying it kind of looks like a '40 ford. Well, that one wasn't for sale, but when looking on the internet at pictures of '39 Dodges, started seeing '37 Plymouths. Liked the Plymouth body style a lot, and wouldn't trade it now for a '40 Ford, or anything else.

15. ezdusit

ezdusit

I was shopping for a Model A when I ran across my first '32 Plymouth. I was in the Navy in Newport and wanted a cheap car to take to town. That was 46 years ago and I still own it. I restored it in 1996-97 to drive it in the Great Race. While driving it across this amazing country in 1998, a spectator at one of our stops asked me if I was interested in another Model PB Plymouth. He had a Sport Roadster he had driven back in the fifties... He had put a six-cylinder later Plymouth engine in it and it had been sitting in a barn for a lo-o-ong time, but the body was all there and in pretty sound shape. I ended up buying it about a year later.

I decided to build the rod I could never afford to do in high school. :) I now have a 241 Hemi and an Offy manifold with four Strombergs on it. Just starting to rebuild a lot of the wood in the body aiming for a full-fendered fifties-style roadster. I guess in a way it found me. Now if I can just live long enough...

16. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

i'm still working on the same car , progress is slow.

Attached Files:

17. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

I had a spare Chevy motor in the garage that needed a rebuild. The wife mocked me whenever I talked about rebuilding it. She would say "the motor you have no car for?" To cure that problem I bought the first 50's Chevy I found within 200 miles that was under $1000. It's the one in my avatar and album.

18. chop&drop

chop&drop

Went to look at a '29 Ford coupe listed in the antique autos section of the newspaper and came home with a '32 Ford Tudor. The guy had listed the '32 under the parts category because it wasn't complete. It was complete except for seats, and came with a '53 Merc flattie, three early toploaders and assorted other parts. The only modification to the car was an aluminum sheet screwed on to the top, thankfully not through the sheetmetal.

19. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

So I can start on one of the four other projects I've been sitting on.....:D

20. My current project is a 1930 614 Durant three window coupe. I found it here in the HAMB classifieds. I have always wanted to build a open wheel hot rod but something other than a model A something different . The sale ad kept haunting me I had to have this car or maybe it had to have me? ... It has been a long project 5 years off and on after work and we should see a test drive in the near future....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  21. dodgord

dodgord

HaHa im working on a 66 mercedes! why? because it was free is a solid driver and being a benz i dont mind cutting it up to change its apperance! (hard to work on without throwing up though)

22. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Redoing my latest project. Rebuild 327, check. Rewire the whole frickin thing, check. Replace shocks, check. New interior, check. Figure out temp sending unit wire.... screw it!

Attached Files:

23. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Selling the 32 and a 29 that is almost finished to reduce my mortgage.

Need a "cheap build" and have most of the big bits in the shed already.

This Coupe body courtesy of Hyfire who replied to a wanted ad. Thanks again mate. Work starts this weekend!
    [​IMG]

Grill Shell from this old 1 ton truck
    [​IMG]

Rocket motor, was told it was a 371 but looks like it isnt!!!!
    [​IMG]

These old wheels, 4 for $22 at a swap meet
    [​IMG]

Old genuine moon tank
    [​IMG]

Plan is to put together a bleed type sweep frame with 4" in the front and a 12" Z in the back. Chassis with be built with absolute safety in mind. Rest of car will not get paint, nice interior etc etc. Just want a cheap build on the road.

24. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I am working on my current project because no matter how much beer I leave in the fridge for the little fuckers the garage faeries aren't getting shit done so I guess I just have to do it myself.

25. Ghost28

Ghost28

That would look cool in my 64 riviera...ghost

Attached Files:

26. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

We were looking for a 48-53 buick, when this found us instead. Been at it 4 years, 8000 miles and we'll probably be at it for a long time!

27. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

I know where there is a 48 Buick Super (4 door). Not running.

28. SASROD

SASROD

Dont have a garage to work on cars right now, so I thought I would put this together, to give me something to do.

Attached Files:

29. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Sweet as fack! Got a late 70's Scwinn 10-speed from a trash pile today. Sugino 3 pc cranks, christophe pedals etc. Looks like it's my new project while I sort out the crossmember on my 49. :rolleyes:

30. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Why? Why not?! Plan on pulling the engine and transmission this weekend. Then pulling the front end completely apart and rebuilding it. Gonna smooth the firewall while I have the engine out. The list goes on and on and on.....:cool:

Attached Files: