Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are you working on you latest project ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by New Old Fart, Mar 16, 2009.

1. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

me too, and living in IL the winters are brutal sometimes and i figured i just freed up my whole summer from house work. 70's today, let the car building begin.

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I had been searching for a '57-58 DeSoto or Chrysler coupe for YEARS - in fact, it was in my signature for a long while. I wanted it to be straight and rust-free, complete, but still needing enough work that I wouldn't have to worry about ruining its originality when I make a mild custom out of it. I did a local craigslist search for '1957' one day and found this had been posted two hours earlier. I got directions and was looking at the car within three hours of it being posted.

I think the seller was impressed that I had already accumulated a bunch of parts for it, before I ever knew it was available. Or maybe I'm just an idiot. Anyway, fortune shined on me and I was able to get it. It's my favorite car of all time. Great style, Hemi power, unusual.. can't be beat. ;)

[​IMG]

3. New Old Fart

New Old Fart

I just love it when they follow you home. Nice looking Tudor. What are your plans ?

4. simon g-s

simon g-s

2 chance conversations got me the body and running gear for my current nearly early finished project.
    Visiting another schools workshops and noticed car stuff laying around, business over, having a chat, the guy and his son are in to "t" speedsters.
    Invite myself over to his garage and this 1918 Buick body is laying out the back piled up with bricks an building shit,anyway, swapped for a gear box I got in trade for a home made sheet metal brake.
    Got a Firebird that had been sitting on a guys driveway for years. I got lucky when his wife answered the door and I had cash !!! Another result, keep your eyes open, ask questions, carry cash an get lucky.

Attached Files:

5. 51Fourdoor

51Fourdoor

Latest project is a 1968 Chrysler Newport, 4 door. 1st new car my parents ever bought. Dad can't bear to sell it, but isn't healthy enough to re-do it, so I am. So, I guess it found me.

Layin Frame 56 and Gotgas, NICE rides!

51fourdoor

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

With my latest, we just sorta picked each other! I was looking for something new to mess with, and stumbled across a 55 Chevy that ran and drove...and it was in my price range to boot! Sure it's a more-door, but I kinda like that about it! Four doors are great traveling cars, and it's still a Tri-5 Chevy...which automatically made it cool in my book!

[​IMG]

After I bought the new wheels and tires for it and drove it around the neighborhood a bit, the name "Blue Jean" came to me, and thus she was christened! I've got a ways to go before it's 100% roadworthy, but I'm still on Cloud Nine over this car...I love it!!!

:):):):):):)

7. I remember seeing one in mags years ago. Chopped top,solid black, paint, wires, pinner whites, etc. I think the original builders name was Larry Inman and the work was done by Dean Jeffries. Anybody got pics? G.G.,great score man! Ol' Chryslers are cool!

8. 2-TONED

2-TONED

just switchin engines in my 34 truck---'THATS ALL' was a 283 unsynchroed 3 speed to a 327 4 speed.
    decided to paint the firewall & there were 60 holes to weld & since its such a nice firewall i got carried away & have many hours in it now, decided to change the old heater in & outlets & that lead to a heater restoration, ------------------- i could go on and on and i just wanted to switch engines and get back to drivin!! :eek:

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Cliff Inman commissioned Joe Wilhelm to build it. Yes it is a beautiful car. ;)

[​IMG]

10. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Why are you working on you latest project ?

cause everything i own is fuggin junk! thats why!!! :)

11. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

I wish i had something to wrench on right now. Hell, right now i wanna work on somebody else's. :p

12. MissPrint

MissPrint

Because my parole officer told me I needed to do something more productive with my hands then enact violence ;):D Just kiddin'. . .

I found her at Round-Up last year, immediately fell in love. . .then I lost her to another buyer who promptly realized he was in over his head and couldn't really afford to offer her the home she deserved. . .then I bought her and you all know the rest of the story. . .

13. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Me and my son are working on his car 1951 ford and finishing up a few others

14. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

My current project is a full Kustom 51 Chevy four door(see avatar). The reason I picked it is because it was my first car. I bought it when I was 13, sold it when I was 16, then a friend bought it and GAVE it back to me about two years ago. So now I finally get to build it the way I dreamed of it being when I was a kid.

15. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

my latest project kinda followed me home. i went to get a fender for my 56 olds from a friend of mine and came home with a 51 pontiac. wasent expecting to but shit happens. its actually for my father but it will be my project too...to add to the other ones ive got

16. 1956 Plymouth wagon. I was looking for a late '50s to early '70s wagon and came across mine, advertised right here on the HAMB! Did some trading for it. I'm picking it up from Larry, my paint & body guy in SW Missouri this weekend; and then, I'll be knee-deep in installing the '69 440 in it!

My older son has his '78 C-10 Chevy to play with and work on - non-HAMB truck, but he digs it!

My younger son has his A100 Dodge van. We finally got the van to start and run this past weekend - clogged fuel line will keep it from running! We're farting around with it a bit, too. He doesn't get his license for awhile.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  17. banditomerc

banditomerc

I am doing this '48 ford fully customized,i am 4 weeks into it and moving right along:cool:

Attached Files:

18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Current project is '57 Buick Super. I don't know what's in store for it.

19. I want to see how fast I can make a Galaxie go.

20. Mine is my avitar. It picked me at the Arlington swap meet ten years ago.
    It was an altered then, and there was something about it, it was love at first sight.
    It got too decrepit (sp?) to go fast anymore so we are making a hot rod out of it.
    For me, it's about the build. I'm really in no hurry to finish it, although I think it's going to be mucho fun. I've built several motorcycles, and a few rods in the past, but I've learned more, and met more great folks since I've been working on "the hot rod"
    Thanks, Mike

21. That is BAD ASS!!!! I love it.

22. Mine picked me. I was looking for a new toy and had been looking for a while. I have always been a fan of lowriders and 60's style customs. But I have always loved things you don't see often. When I saw mine for sale, I drove 4 hours the next day and bought it. I love it even though all my friends couldn't (some still can't) see the potential in it. I know what it will eventually look like, LORD willing.

23. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

To get my parts back from a belly up chrome shop I had to buy all the parts from the management co. that were left behind. Now I am trying to determine what all the parts are and what to do with them.

24. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

I'm building a 425 nailhead....not sure what it'll go in yet though.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

25. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm fiddlin' with all my rides . . . I needed something to do while Rome burns.

26. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

I tried to copy n paste the attached thumbnail pics...wouldnt work though...

...Amazing what a chop can do to certain cars...

27. 56Ponchorelli

56Ponchorelli

It picked me. Normally I don't like anything after 63, but went out to look at the 66 Electra just to look really. It was solid and I loved the almost gone fins on the back and the 1 piece tail light. Drove it home about 30 minutes later. Hell even the cigarette lighters in the back seat work, my finger is proof!

28. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

SWEET!
    Side car class? What make of engine?

29. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

The 48 F1 project showed up on the So-Cal AZ bulletin board. I got to thinking about it. I'd been working on a AV8 Roadster pickup (still am) and figured that running around in Phoenix in the summer is OMG HOT and I'd want to be able to drive an air-conditioned hot rod. It's pretty hard to air-condition a roadster pick-up. So I bought the F1 and have been working on it because everybody needs a pickup, right? I'll get back to the roadster pickup as soon as the F1 is finished. I'll use it for a parts chaser and daily driver to replace the Explorer UAV. The wife wants a new Mustang convertible, real bad. I've tried to convince her to let me get her an early Mustang convertible, but she just won't listen. She must have gotten that from me by osmosis or something.

30. My kid turned 16 and needs a car, so we're trying to get his '64 Caddy on the road.