Register now to get rid of these ads!

Five Minute Stovebolt air cleaner!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Yesterday, when I went to remove the stock air cleaner from the 235 in my Chevy, I noticed it was pretty wobbly. I soon discovered the cause of the problem...the previous owner had broken the 'bridge' off the carb (where the air cleaner stud goes) and just sort of set it in place hoping Fate and Gravity would keep it there!

Attached Files:

• wr4.jpg
      wr4.jpg
      File size:
      54.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Oh well, them oil bath air cleaners are bulky and awkward anyhow...so I figured it was a good time to upgrade to an open element type of paper air filter.

Wanting one sooner rather than later, I took a quick trip to the hardware store and nabbed a four dollar lawn equipment filter and a small tube of crazy glue, since I'd found a plastic 'ring' in the garage that fit the carb neck real snug-like! I got outta there for six bucks and change and headed home for the high-tech installation!

Just to jazz it up a bit, I raided my sticker collection and cut a couple up to 'customize' the new filter top! That done, it was ready to go!

A quick once-over on the ring with some coarse sandpaper ensured a decent bonding surface to the rubber bottom of the air filter, so I applied a thin 'bead' of glue to the ring and pressed it into place, holding it there for a couple of minutes and it was complete!

Attached Files:

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

As I was walking out of the garage with my new filter in hand, this guy showed up...again! He arrives every afternoon and often manages to sneak up on me (he'll brush against your leg, or step over your foot, or even wander under the car with you!)...but I saw him coming today!

He walks kinda funny, just plods along, and tends to follow the exact same path each time, so I don't know if he's blind or old, or sick or what...but he doesn't flinch if you walk up to him. Just sits there a while on his garbage can lid, then slowly ambles over the fence, into the branches of that bush and then follows his path around the neighbor's pond...just like clockwork!

I showed him the air cleaner and he didn't say anything, so it musta been cool with him!

:D

Attached Files:

• 55sq.JPG
      55sq.JPG
      File size:
      89.9 KB
      Views:
  4. Damn dude, I have a K&N filter with a base that hoseclamps around the throat area I'd have given ya! That was too much like work. ;)
    Oh well, you had fun and enjoyed a beautiful March Day! I'm stuck at work!
    JK

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The new air cleaner assembly snapped tightly into place and even clears the hood...good enough for me! That just left the front support bracket from the stock air cleaner to deal with, so...rather than remove the bracket, I bolted a Stovebolt Roadside Rebuild Kit to it...just in case, you know!!

:D:cool:

Cheap, fast and easy...my kinda job!!

(Ha Ha, Okay, AND women...there, I said it before Muttley could!) :p:D

Attached Files:

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha, thanks, Jay, I'll look you up when it's time to change this one! :D

7. My air cleaner mounting stud was gone too. I found this air cleaner ( it was from Mr gasket I think )at the local Lordco ( Canadian auto parts store ) for under 20 bucks. It came with a new stud that mounts up to the carb base with a hose clamp then you just slide the new element and chrome cover over the new stud. It worked great!
    [​IMG]

8. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Ha!

FH, your posts prove time and time again you're not really a hack. I'm beginning to doubt your weight too.

9. Those little elements do not flow that well.

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I kinda wondered about that...I guess I'll see how it works out next time I drive it!!

11. Crankhole

Crankhole

[​IMG]
    You guys have funny looking cats over there. Nice job on the air cleaner though.

12. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

:eek: CAT??? I thought it was a Chihuahua!!! :D

13. Crankhole

Crankhole

First I was thinking gerbil but then thought that there was no way that would fit in your...oh...never mind.

14. LabRat

LabRat

Definitely not a lawn equipment filter ...

I congratulate your effort , but please make your stovebolt happy next payday and buy at least a 4" element ..... for a car .

15. sir

sir

..nice improv..but if your carb ever "pop's back" that thing is gone....

16. Muttley

Muttley

Why do all the furry woodland creatures flock to you? Fat Hack is the Steve Irwin of Hot Rodding.

17. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

lol! always new you were squireley in the head. now you got them in your yard to!

18. Only Fat Hack would wrap up a tech post with a photo of his squirrel friend.

I love it.

JH

19. Twisted6

Twisted6

LOL i luv the rebuild kit lol Poof she's on the road again sorta speak lmao.

20. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

The implied threat of that roadside repair should keep any stovebolt running.

21. Twisted6

Twisted6

Just a small reminder if it stops running right ?LOL

22. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

The reason the squirrel is slow is he's the one that got set on FIRE at Denise's house last year at Autorama!! Poor guy. He's just trying to make a living and the man keeps bringing him down. You could have at least spared him a nut.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  23. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I didn't realize he was missing one!!! :eek::D