Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oddball Gassers Question... WTF???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dustyoldbodyman, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Alright, Whats up with this Simca bodied twin mill thing?
    Does anyone know why one SBC points forward and the other points rearward? (look at the magneto on the RH engine)
    Is it the drive unit?
    Gotta love this thing - just not sure how it works. :cool::confused:
    Help me out here...

Attached Files:

2. I would think that one motor is backward so that you have reverse rotation on one side in comparison to the other. That way you can hook one to the other directly (gear to gear). Also the reverse rotation would tend to have a stabilizing effect with the engines torquing in opposite direction.

Maybe I overthink a bit, perhaps that's how they fit best into the chassis?

3. Maybe one just drives the fuel pump :D

4. IIRC, it had a chain drive off the front of the right hand mill, connected to a shaft that went rearward, between the engines, where a similar system from the left hand engine connected, sending drive to a center diff. You can kinda see it through the front wheel. I remember being fascinated by the article in a magazine when I was a kid.

5. Red Sled,
    Thanks - an article - on that car? cool. Looks like something E. J. Potter would try on like his old riding mower or something...
    Wow :cool::cool:

6. Larry T

Larry T

You might try looking for Dye and Hampton "Two Bad" Fiat Competition coupe.
    BTW Competition Coupes and Roadsters didn't have much in common with Gassers.
    Larry T

7. That's not a Gasser ... it's a Competition Coupe ... the Eldon Dye & Don Hampton "Two Bad" Topolino.

EDIT: I see that Larry T beat me to it ... I really need to learn to read & type faster! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  8. Freiburger

Freiburger

I thought we were not allowed to argue over labels (lol).

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

On twin engine cars that were connected by gearing the flywheels togeather, one was reversed and the flywheel put on the front of that one, to cause the rotation to be correct for the gears. The drive went from the conventionaly mounted engine. If there is a chain driven shaft between the engines reversing one of them would be the wrong thing to do a they would be turinig in oposit directions and could not be connected with a chain.

10. Larry T

Larry T

Not arguing, just stating the facts. (G)

11. Labels - the problem with incorrect labels is that more and more incorrect information enters the information stream and tends to become "fact".

Charlie

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Who cares what it is called, that thing is mean and awesome. I love it.

Looking at that front shot, I suppose one nice thing about the twin mills is you can actually see where you are going between them. :)

13. Nah-too tame!

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

15. I think there are some in motion shots of it in the video Ryan posted yesterday too.

JK

16. Yes ... Mazooma1's 8mm film includes the Dye & Hampton twin engine Fiat at LIONS.

Doug also posted these two color photographs of the car (shot the same day as the movie footage):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. :cool: No, it's not a gasser BUT!
    It's a future funny car!
    The car later became Hamptons twin engine American Bandstand Corvette FC.

18. 2002p51

2002p51

Don Hampton must have liked fooling around with twin engined cars. Here's the same set-up in his Corvette funny car around 1970.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Don Hampton's son is here on the HAMB, BTW
    (can't remember his nickname)
    Still building blowers...

21. Agreed!

BTW ... that's a nice "Dune Buggy" pictured in your avatar! :rolleyes: ;) :D

22. Man, I miss the days when this type of innovation flourished. The "box" that these guys were thinking outside of wasn't as confining as the current one.

23. I got your "dune buggy"...LOL!!

Charlie

24. Muttley

Muttley

Is that car still around?

25. :cool:Question - Did the engines have dry sump systems? Seems like they would have to because of the mounting angles. That or some fancy oil pan and pickup tube work to keep them from starving for oil. The fuel injection doesn't care like a carb would, just hoping a fellow HAMBer can shed some light on this and/or post some pix? How about the oil draining from the top end and onto the cam through the valley (or not in this case!) ? Just curious.... Thanx:D

26. autobilly

autobilly

Labels matter because they're the best tool we have in language to accurately convey ideas.

27. A-Wall

A-Wall

I would also like to know this.

28. Ya ' all are great... Thanks for clearing all this up. The more I thought about it the crazier I got. One of my painter buddies thinks its the iso cyanates - says its his problem anyway... I think about things for more than a minute and it becomes a plot... another story for another time...:rolleyes:

so anybody make full kits for tandem engine car building, or do we all create our own? :cool:

29. 2002p51

2002p51

Probably because it's out in front and not between the driver's feet.

Remember, this is 1970 before ballistic blankets on blowers, etc. to keep the magnesium rain out of the stands. :)

30. Wes Hampton (click HERE for his profile).