Register now to get rid of these ads!

vintage vespa's, cushmans and other...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, Feb 3, 2008.

1. lupusscooterockoholic

lupusscooterockoholic
    from jakarta

2. lupusscooterockoholic

lupusscooterockoholic
    from jakarta

3. 52Roadking

52Roadking

Check out:
    www.dennis-carpenter.com
    For parts on that Eagle. He's the only one making reproduction parts for Cushmans

Budd Cochran

4. 52Roadking

52Roadking

Would a 52 Cushman Roadking (7 hp Briggs [double stock Hp.] ported, polished, balanced, milled head) custom clutch system, 2-speed with reverse [for sidecar use] Cushman 50 Series Packagecar transmission, custom bodywork and paint, custom handlebars and seat) qualify as a hot rod?

There are 50 stars on the headstays and 13 stripes per side,btw, on "Patriot One"

Budd Cochran

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  5. smarg

smarg

Its a great way to get KILLED on vacation

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. here's mine 1964GL 150. restored by me and me brother.

Attached Files:

7. Mr.Big

Mr.Big
    from Hanoi

Hi, i am from Vietnam, i have a 1965 vespa and it is look nearly like yours, i am going to paint it as yours, can i have your color code, please!

Thanks,

8. Mr.Big

Mr.Big
    from Hanoi

Anyway, my email is [email protected], i forgot... ke ke

Thanks,

9. gassman57

gassman57

This is great; my wife wants an old scooter bad.....now I can at least know what to look for!! I'm pretty scooter stupid !!

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I was in Junior High school (63-66), and Mad Magazine was really into the "biker" phase. I STILL remember the first verse of a motorcycle related "poem", and story, that appeared in the magazine. " Twas summertime, at Newport Beach, a motley crew was there, of bearded motorcycle bums, while cops patrolled the square." Not sure how well it fits "this" group of "motorcycle bums", but it made me remember that poem. Ha, Ha!!! Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Fidget

Fidget

Skoot and Destroy huh? I would guess that we have mutual friends.

Attached Files:

12. Here's a few of mine. I restored the Cushman about 20 years ago. There were not a lot of repop parts available at the time, so it took a bit of scrounging. Sold it.
    The Mustang was one I hated to sell. It had a Weber cam, big valves (had to flycut the head), ported, bored 1/8" over and a Mikuni carb. It was scary fast for a little bike. probably was putting out 14-15 hp.
    Still have the Whizzer

Attached Files:

13. sacredsteel1

sacredsteel1

??54?? vespa ape with a dump body (in progress)...was my fathers for 25+ but sat untouched.. I had no time or space for it so I gave it to a good friend who I knew would do the right thing...the bed is soon to be redone and the scooter now sports a spun aluminum tank

Attached Files:

14. LUXLX

LUXLX

I have a '60 Silver Pigeon completely painted in parts but need a manual to assemble it!

15. toxictom

toxictom

have a vespa 50S when i was 16, with an bigbore kit from 50cc to 138cc, goes like hell
    the flat black was a paint/ stripejob for a friend...

and the white one is my daily driver P200E,wanna change paint to flake green/goldleaf lettering 60`gasser style..

Attached Files:

16. I had one from a Harley Topper.....................Your's is in better condition!

17. adventurer

adventurer

A friend of mine has been collecting Lambretta and Vespa for all his life, and some years ago he opened his own museum, where scooters from all around the world are collected. If ever in Italy, a trip to his museum is really worth the trip

http://www.museoscooter.it/on.html

18. Bought 2 in Vietnam last year fully rebuilt??? with chrome wheels, whitewalls, Chrome nerf bars, stainless expansion chamber exhausts, spare wheel cover. $1100.00 USD each.

19. retromotors

retromotors

-----------------------------------------------

Yeah Dave, I'm with you. I think we oughta get all tight-assed about it!

After all, this is a TRADITIONAL HOT ROD site. It would be MUCH more interesting if we only talked about traditional hot rod subjects such as:

Chopping shit way past the point of actually being able to drive it.
    (I remember a little of that during the '50s and '60s, but not much.)

Lowering/airbagging shit until it's sitting on the ground and just looks BROKEN.
    (WTFs up with that! I don't remember ANY of that back in the days.)

How we won't use anything but bias-ply tires.
    (I can maybe stretch the point for a period open-wheeled rod, otherwise you can forget that shit as far as I'm concerned. Some of us do actually drive in other than a straight line.)

How we will only use drum brakes.
    (Same reply as above.)

Yep, I agree .... threads like this definitely do not belong on the HAMB!

Obviously everyone else thinks so too. After all, there are only 140 posts on the thread.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  20. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

I built this for my dad's 60th birthday (he always wanted one).I snuck it into his house at night so that he could find it in his living room in the morning. It is a 63' 90.

Attached Files:

21. mj40's

mj40's

Car people collect and restore strange things from scooters to cruiser bikes. It is part of our culture. I enjoy reading about traditional car owner’s likes and dislikes. If I don't like the topic I simply move on to the next thread. Simple and easy to do! Here is my 1969 Rupp Goat that I restored 50's style with a Hardly-A- Davidson theme. Enjoy! Or Not

Attached Files:

22. retromotors

retromotors

Aw shucks! In my post above I forgot to mention BURNOUTS!

DUH .... !!! How could I have forgotten burnouts???

Now there is a subject worthy of the HAMB. Oughta get lots of posts and pics that we can all be proud of!:rolleyes:

------------------------------------------

Uh .... umm .... err .... mj40's, I've read your reply several times and still don't know whether I might have fired my ironic original post over your head. If not, I apologize .... I can be fairly obtuse at times.:)

In any event, to set the record straight I VERY MUCH approve of this thread. I agree 100% about the cool things hot rodders collect on the side, the stranger the better!

In fact was gonna mention a couple that passed through my hands a few years back. Got some pics somewhere but probably packed away.
    Spotted some 'Davidson police bike stuff on a guy's porch. They had stripped an old police rig to build a chopper. (Shudder...:()
    Well, I don't do Harleys, but I know good trading material when I see it so I bought the lot cheap.
    Ended up swapping the stuff for a matched pair of '71 Bajaj scooters. Those were '50s/'60s era 145cc Vespa clones built in India on (I believe) the original Vespa tooling that had been sold to Bajaj. My scoots even had a lot of the original Italian electrics as used by Vespa. (EEK!)

After sitting around in my collection of junque for a few years, I eBayed 'em to a young lady in New Orleans. Probably still scootin' around over there unless hurricane Katrina got them.

23. Ears

Ears
    from ORCUTT, CA

I am proud of this thread! Annnd...there is a picture of a vespa small frame doing a pretty good burnout. So take that!

24. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This really got my juices flowing back in 1947!!---Had to sell my Lionel train set plus saved up paper route money to get "Motorized"!!!!----Don:D

Attached Files:

25. Spooky

Spooky

Wow, Boones!

I have a '63 Vespa and a '64!

The '63 is mine and is a large frame. The '64 is Mrs. Spooky and is a small frame model.

Here is a shot of hers.

Getting closer............

Attached Files:

26. Model A Speedster

Model A Speedster

IN ADDITION TO the Model A's, I too own an '81 Vespa P125X. I bought it new and drove it off the showroom floor. Is it fun to ride? He## yes! Do I care what other people think? He## no! It's an injector system and makes a great around town ride. Always carry a spare plug or two (available at your local parts store) and watch out for the idiots. Your Stella scooters seem to be similar to the P series. I would also warn you about buying a "restored" bike from the internet. Stay with a known dealer (Scooterworks out of Chicago, for example) and ask lots of questions. There are no stupid questions! Have fun.

27. Yourel

Yourel

Hi Guys, I'm Yourel, happy to be part of this forum. It smells good like rusty vintage machine and crunchy project.
    I got this allstate crusaire companion side car but unfortunatelly without the wheel/rim.
    I'm a bit struggling to find the model that could perfectly match. I need a split rim, on which I can put a 3.50x8 tire. I tried the wheel barrow wheels, aeroplane wheels.... No success. Do you guys have any idea about that???

thanks

Aurel

[​IMG]

28. Fidget

Fidget

I think they just use a regular 3.5x8 Vespa wheel.

29. JesseEdge

JesseEdge
    from Tampa

i'm pretty sure thats right. go to scootermercato.com to get all your parts. dave is a good dude and i get tons of parts from him. my profile pic is my contribution to this thread.