Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh No!!! It Can't Be...Another Gasser Build? Yup, 1961 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. cixpack

cixpack

This ride will look realy cool when finished!

Good luck from france!

2. I'll fill the bed with full cases of the good stuff...maybe then slicks will actually do something with some weight!

3. Update!!Update!!Update!!Update!!Update!!

Alright guys, I know things have been a bit slow lately but I finally got my shit rolling. What I have been waiting on was a set of large flex joints. These joints are like Heims on steroids. They have an outer casing that gets welded to the tubing and then is assembled and installed.

Here is what they look like;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The reason I wanted these is because the axle brackets for the lower links are angled towards the center of the car. What I want is the links to be parallel. These joints will make up the misalignment without having to cut apart the brackets on the axle. These are extremely durable and rebuildable. They have a nylon race that the ball rides in and they have an adjustment collar to tighten them up if they get sloppy. They're also greasable.

These have saved me a bunch of time. I installed 1 on wednesday and I'll do the other tomorrow.

I'm hoping to have a few good photos for you tomorrow night.

Stay tuned!

BloodyKnuckles

BTW....PBRmeASAP, you don't stand a chance...beyotch!!

4. BTW...I know these are "high tech" but with a bit of paint they'll disappear.

Also my buddy Chris with Superior Brake and Steer hooked me up with a disc conversion for the '39 Chevy front axle. Nice kit and will be a bit of security knowing that Heather will be the main driver.

I'm also having an issue with tires on the front. I'm not sure if I should run black walls, skinny whites or wide whites?? I'm leaning towards WWWs but would love some input. I'm building this to be styled around the '61-'63 era. I think the WWWs add a bit of class to an otherwise basic car.

Also what size and brand would you run? I'm thinking 5.20s but I'm not set on them.

What do you think??

BloodyKnuckles

5. I'm not 100% positive, but I think that the era you are shooting for, the thin white wall or a black wall would work better. But if you like the look of the wide white... go for it...

6. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

the www's do look good but were fading away early on on gassers. lots of guys ran the old 560x15 vw tires then. id run a radial if a driver for sure in a 165x15 tire black. my 2 cents and i love what your doing, I did a 62 tempest for a customer and i really like that style of car. they also make a neat grand national what if with all the badging on them good luck im following your build sw

7. ironhunter

ironhunter

A buick without a Nailhead ain't a Buick..its just another fuggin old bastard car!

I love the car!

Oh, and the feller with the F-85...get you an early 60's big Olds (another REAL gasser engine) and save the SBC as a brake-assist (anchor)! :D

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

5.20's? Aren't those the tires that they ran on Lowriders? I think 5.60's like mine would be the way to go and whatever is going on in your avatar is what I would be after as far as White Walls. The thinner white walls may be more period correct but I say fuck it. Whatever looks good. You can find tons of examples from both sides that early in the 60's.

9. Moloko

Moloko

87 still had a solid axle, you need to go for an 89+.

10. Sorry man, you're right. 5.60s is what I meant to say.

Thanks for the replies guys.

BloodyKnuckles

11. Well, I got both links built and I have one link sleeved every 6"s. What a bitch!

Here's a pic before I sleeved it;

[​IMG]

I should have more tonight.

BloodyKnuckles

12. sinticket

sinticket

Lookin Good Tubs! I need to get by the shop and check it out!

13. It's been a productive day. I got both of the links done. Remond me to never sleeve something again, what a bitch.

Here are a few pics;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More tomorrow! Stay tuned!

BloodyKnuckles

14. WOW MAN! Good Job Hoss. Hit that rear with a wire cup brush and paint her up! Looks like you cut the holes with plasma - what did you use for a guide?

15. Cshabang

Cshabang

holy hell those bars are long..haha but on a serious note..I've used those joints in the past..make sure when you articulate they don't bottom out and bind...You're already at an extreme angle to start. Other than that, I can't wait to see how this comes along...

16. Skinny radial black walls. Love the work dawg. Might have to hit ya up this summer for some of them non-Trad links...I dig um.

Game on...looks like i'll have to keep the truck just long enough to blow your doors off!

17. Scott

Scott

What is your source for those flex joints?

18. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

Good work man, those links look sweet

19. Thanks for your concern. I am real familiar with these joints as I used them for years in an OT vehicle. The joints were all the way maxed in that pic but now bolted to the car there is plenty of room to move.

Thanks again for pointing it out.

BloodyKnuckles

20. Well another day has passed and I seemed to have gotten a decent amount of shit done.

I started with sliding the axle under the car again and bolting up the wheels. Then I hooked the links up to see where they are going to mount to the body. I made brackets for the links and used 4 factory sleeved holes in the unibody and bolted them in place. Then I made the upper link brace and brackets. I used the factory location for the original upper links and bolted my new bracket into 6 sleeved holes. The fullsize Electra axle fits perfect under the Skylark:cool:.

Here is where I'm at now;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What my plans are for tomorrow is to finish welding my upper link brace, finnish the lower link holes and finish the frame end, locate the panhard bar and we'll see how much else I could get done.

Thanks for staying tuned. OH...I apologize for the shitty pics in this thread but my wife take the camera when she goes away for business and that is when I work on her car. So I'm stuck with using my shitty camera phone. Again, I am sorry.

BloodyKnuckles

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

HOLY SHIT RON THAT REAR-END IS MAKING ME GIGGLE!!!

It's looking really good and I can't wait for the front to come together. If you are going to be at the shop tomorrow I will take a break from the remodel and get over there to check it out and give you the cash for that 8 ball of coke you spotted me friday.:D

22. Cshabang

Cshabang

once again HOLY HELL haha...Thanks for the update on the angles...Hope I didn't come across as an ass. Once the car is together and driving..you NEED to make a few videos of it launching...

23. I'll be there about noon. I was sending Bruno for payment but I'll hold off.

Cshabang, no man, you weren't coming off like an ass. You were just pointing something out and I appreciate it. As for a video of it launching, oh yeah!!

BloodyKnuckles

24. funny thing is you are building that for your wife to drive!

25. Ron, is that the projected ride height for the rear? That looks bad ass. Looking forward to seeing this on the road. Heather WILL be bringing it to DF, right?

26. I know...she said "That thing better not do wheelies!!!!!!!". I told her "hell yeah it will" and "if someone pisses you off just crack one out and they won't fuck with you!!!!:eek:"

I think that's about where it will ride. I can't believe how well the axle fit. I'm telling you these two cars were separated at birth.

You'll have to ask Heather about DF....

BloodyKnuckles

27. Today wasn't as productive but I managed to get some stuff done. I finished the frame end of the lower links and the upper link mount got completely welded and installed. Tomorrow will be the panhard mount, coil spring mounts and the lower link mounts on the frame need a 3/4" spacer so I need to come up with something.

All in all I am pretty excited about the progress so far. I'm hoping to have the rear completed by tuesday night. I have what I need for the front so I think I should have a roller by saturday.

Keep your fingers crossed.

BloodyKnuckles

28. Damn, at this rate you might have it ready for Billetproof this weekend...

29. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

this thing is the poo!

30. MMMMMM....Billetproof....????

BloodyKnuckles