Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Best 1955 Cadillac build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonBurke, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Rodder29

Rodder29

That's an awesome car. I had the same car myself. I sold it to make room in my shop for my current build. Now that I've seen your build....somebody kick me. You did one Hell of a job. :cool: Hats off to ya...Cheers.

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Let me know when you're coming a couple of weeks ahead...I've got a lot of rod runnning planned for the summer...but I'll make it a point to be around if you're coming out...

Must be you, C5Cruiser...I NEVER get frustrated enuff to throw things...even if I have to do things twice or three times...it's all about attitude...and throwing things ends up costing twice as much...

Rodder29, appreciate your compliment...stay tuned, there's more coming...and Alfred...what can I say...???

R-

3. VonBurke

VonBurke

Cadillacs are big deals

4. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

they are big that's for sure

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hey Von Burke, you asked how the peak of the trunk came out...well, Sunday afternoon/evening I sealed it...tonite I'm going to primer it, but thot I put this photo on to give you a peak peek...

[​IMG]

I also finished the top and put it in sealer last nite...it'll get primer tonite as well...so that make 2/3's of the Caddy done (other than sanding, blocking, more primer and more primer)...and paint of course...

R-

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here's a better shot of it...

R-

[​IMG]

7. VonBurke

VonBurke

very impressive... great idea to...

for some reason, that size of a truck needs to have something there to break it up a bit.

big thumbs up

8. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

9. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

How long before you add color. Everything looks great

Todd B.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Got a ways to go DoubleC...got the passenger's side quarter to smooth (working on it & the skirt as I type this -- it's garage nite), two doors (are basically done but not in sealer or primer), two front fenders and the hood...so it's going to be while yet...no definite date has been set for that...but thanx for asking...

R-

11. mad-cad

mad-cad

Looking good Roger
    wish I could start the bodywork on mine,still too damn cold to do anything but hammerin and welding.
    Tim

12. VonBurke

VonBurke

so roger... i ran into a hamer from boston lastnight and we started talking about builds on the hamb. your car came up.

youre famous

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh...

Thanx...

But I was "famous" way before the Caddy build started...or is that "infamous"...???

LOL, I'm kidding...thanx, Von Burke...I hope you thanked that HAMBer, for both of us...

R-

14. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Great build coverage, I really like the look of those skirts.

I can tell by looking at the radiator who made it, and I'm sorry you aren't happy about it. But, I think when you see how well it works, you may change your mind.

It is an unfortunate situation with these guys, as it is is a father and son operation and the dad is dying from cancer. He has been in and out of the hospital for several years now battling this horrible disease, and unfortunately it has put production behind schedule.

The bottom line is, it may have taken longer than expected, but it is a high quality piece, and I will promise you it will cool your Caddy.

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

It's not that I'm not happy with the radiator, for the few miles I've put on it, the rad looks like it's going to work as promised (and we'll find out for sure this summer when I get the A/C in and get more miles on the car)...it's just that if I'm promised a delivery date, then I expect it to be here when promised...

I've always lived my life the same as my Dad did --when I give my word, I live up to it...and I expect same from anyone that gives me a time/date... it's just unfortunate that many companies do not work that way any more...

Thanx for the info...I liked everything they had to show me/tell me...so I think I made an intelligent decision...

R-

16. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

This post makes me want a 55 caddy!

17. ME TOO !!!:eek:

18. Cruiser

Cruiser

Very cool thread and a good read, I enjoyed the great work and look forward to the finished car. VERY COOL ..........

CRUISER :cool:

19. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

lookin good

I like the skirts:D

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

nice job roger,,,,those skirts are really neat...

21. Rog

Rog

This is an inspirational read you got going on here. thanks for sharing all this with us. i have learned some things as well as enjoyed myself reading it all. Keep the updates coming.

22. Blubyu

Blubyu
    from Troy, MI

Wow! Thanks for sending that link, I learned a lot in a matter of about an hour and a half. I'm going to restore the Caddy I just bought but you did some cool mods. Maybe a year or so down the road.

23. VonBurke

VonBurke

get a chance to work on it at all Roger?

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

UPDATE

Yes, VB, I work on it EVERY weekend (except in the summertime, when I go rod running - and the first rod run around here isn't til the end of April...so I've got a couple of weekends to go) and the Caddy is my mistress...last weekend I finished the passenger's door and primered it...notice absence of door handle...

[​IMG]

Do you remember the passenger's side quarter that was creased bad...??? I turned the car around (backed it into my garage) so I could work on that side and be able to view it better--hard to see the forest for all the trees, understand...??? Well, I got into the trunk and my bro held the dolly on the outside and we hammered out some more of the crease...got it a bit flatter. Oh, here it is before sealer:

[​IMG]

After that, some bondo (Rage Gold bondo is your friend) and the good ol' air file and then more sealer and...well, it's done...took the weekend to get 'er done...but it got put in primer Sunday nite (March 8th)...

[​IMG]

So the entire rear of the car is done, from the front fenders back...leaving the front fenders and hood to go (with the exception of taking off the driver's side door handle and installing the remote opener)...so, while I was finishing up the rear quarter, my brother (and perennial helper) went to work on the front fender...took it down to bare metal...as I said, this is a ColoRODo car...so zero rust to worry about...just a few small dents to work and fill. Oh, and then I'm going to put a shroud on the lower fender for the Lakes Pipe...this is a "sled", remember.

[​IMG]

So, as we were finishing up, I decided to form some metal to make it a real "sled"...below is a sneak peak of a "kustom touch" I'm putting on...shades of the fifties...!!! And no, those are not '58 Chevy Impala scoops...here's a clue: you gotta think outside the box when building a car...

[​IMG]

As you can see it's not only bodywork being done...it's the FUN stuff of the build, too...and there's more to come...

Thanx for asking...

R-

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  25. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

cool caddy and good story

26. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Roger,

Very Kool!!

What is your plans with the front fenders....What will you do with the body line that
    runs into the bumper? Sorry for the questions, you got my Kustom brain a working.

[​IMG]

Happy Trails,

Mick

27. 54Caddy

54Caddy
    from Visalia,CA

Damn make me jealous i cant wait to see my cadillac on the road. Wish i had enough cash to pull the body off the frame and do all the work you did. Your Cadillac is going to be bad ass, thought mine was going do looking stock, now i have some ideas in my mind maybe its time to strip all the black paint off and rework the body.. HHUUUM..

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hey Mick...forgot you'd asked this...guess I'd better answer it. The body line gets covered by a piece of stainless...however, below the stainless, I will fill it in with metal and that is where the '47 Cadillac park light will reside.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a stock Caddy like yours (except for that engine you put in...LOL...!!!). If I were you, I'd get it finished and on the road...drive it for a while, then you can decide if you want to modify it...or find a Caddy two door hardtop to build. I know that's your grandpa's car...and keeping it stock is prolly pleasing him...

Once you get out of school and start earning some money, then you can re-do your Caddy if you want...it'll all come around if you give it some time.

R-

29. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

OK where the rest of the pictures? dont tease us post some more!

30. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

honestly everytime i see this thread it makes me want to get off my ass and work on mine