Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build a shine runner tribute

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purecountry, Mar 8, 2009.

1. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Shine running was done and still done today, in a very low key way. All car's and trucks were not hauling out of the hills. I have seen a pulpwood truck that was a
    sine runner it was a 1948 GMC the tank was under the seat. It worked as a wood truck for years, Stopped at little Cafe that had a garage out back is were it was unloaded, for local consumption. It's haul was about 40 miles.
    Now what this has to do with wanting to do a old shine car - L I Don't Know :)

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

It has always been my feeling that the shine runners were the best drivers / racers in America. Take any sedan, fix it up properly and what do you get? What is known today as a world rally car - any road, any where, day or night - catch me ifn you can. Junior Johnson is my all time hero. Gary

3. An old guy I knew that lived in Concord NC said the runners would run a hot rod through town to get the cops all chasing it and then drive the old truck in with the shine while the cops were busy.

4. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

I met this crazy old black guy in a parking lot as i was heading into a bar here in town. He asked if my olds was an old shine runner. Turns out he used to have a 54 and ran shine down in Tennessee or Georgia. He said his was flat black and ran like a son of a bitch! Whether it was true i don't know, but it was a cool story.

5. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

There was a really good thread on this awhile back.

Quick question though, if you do it right you get shine, but if you do it wrong you get ethanol. Is that accurate?

6. ironhunter

ironhunter

They also didn't run 302s and 8.8 rearends :D

A 40 Ford runner would have had either a flathead or possibly a very early Olds, Cad, Chrysler, or maybe the occasional Nailhead. Forget Junior Johnson's "example" on the History Channel show too. By the late 50's when Chevy could finally produce enough Hp to be considered for an engine swap, there weren't many 40 Fords left running moonshine...too conspicuous. That was the name of the game, draw as little attention as possible and get there with the load. A 40 Ford coupe was, by then, recognized as the optimum hauler and would draw too much attention.

I guess it all depends on how historically accurate you want the "tribute" car to be...

7. Now that looks like a boot legger!

8. repoguy

repoguy

Whatever Ray....you act like you're from Kentucky or something.

You ever get your kid's car in the road???

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Or did he ever get his '57 back together? That's the one I want to know about

10. ironhunter

ironhunter

Son's car is just sitting...he's not interested enough to work on it I'm sure not going to build it for him. Maybe someday I'll just finish the damned thing myself :D
    In his defense, he has bought a house and really don't have the funds or time to worry about a toy right now.

The 57 Buick is still here (the 64 Super Wildcat now has a new owner though), sitting in the building next to the '31 Plymouth. Too many projects, too little time! I kinda got into Model T's a couple years ago and, in addition to working on the house non-stop, I just haven't had the time to play with the rods a lot. I did get the engine/tranny finished for the Plymouth and it's sitting on a run stand.

There is still a '70 Wildcat in my field that belongs to you, Repo :)

11. I'm wanting to convey the general idea more Than anything. That galaxie is sweet and I would love to do a car like that. I just bid on the edelbrock intake as I think that and the 428 will be the hardest parts to find. I'm gonna fit it with 6 demon 98's or stromberg 97's and a progressive linkage. Then whatever car I can find, 4 speed, blacked out. Heres the intake.
    [​IMG]

12. Anyone else got input? What would be the best carbs to run? I read everything on the 3x2 chevy intake post, I assume most of it applies just times two

13. Alright got my basic recipe down I think. 60's model galaxie, black steelies with dog dish hub caps. 4 speed top loader, 428(cj if I can find one) edelbrock 6 deuce intake running rochester 2g carbs, or ? Black, either primer, or suede. Switch for brake lights, and tail lights. 9" rear, leaf springs, with 3.00 gear, with a limited slip. Anyone got good tips on setting the suspension up for fast driving on curvy back roads. Using old style stuff the way it woulda been done back then. Some kind of quiet mufflers, with electric cut outs for when I want some noise. What else is there? Anyone?

14. Old Gold

Old Gold

Wow! you've "built" three different cars in three pages:confused:

15. I'm trying to get ideas. I guess I'm just brain storming in public. Sorry guys

16. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Can anybody Photo Shop this car with the rear wheel wells radiused

17. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Rear suspension, whether a 40 or a 60's Ford, from what I've seen, always had extra shocks mounted here and there too. And I've seen bracketry welded up to act as a stop so the rearend doesn't drop down too far away from the car when going airborn or hitting whoop-de-doos in the road.

18. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

More shine haulin' candidates I photographed in Pigeon Forge during the "car show" weekends.

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. rainman1958

rainman1958

57 ford like the one in the movie thunder road

20. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

This is supposed to be the real deal! Dwight Cass owns it, always brings something really cool from N. Carolina to the shows in Pigeon Forge. Old Caddy motor, big 2-piece truck wheels in back, extra shocks and such, old racing seat belt, etc....

Attached Files:

21. My Dad had a '40 Ford business coupe. Got it in 1972 from an old lady school teacher in three rivers, Ill. She bought it new and it had the same Ford mechanic up til then, oil change sticker on the door jam. I really loved that car and I drove it through my high school years. He always talked about the shine runners cars but I never realized his '40 was considered the high water mark for many. I missed out on that one when Pop sold it about 15 years later.

I've looked for one since but came up with my current project, a 1941 Mercury business coupe about 5 years ago. Original flat head and it came with a box of strombergs and a 2 and 3 intake in the trunk. Trying to get it on the road now. I just love this thing. Even standing still it looks like speed to me with the front nose pushing forward.

Attached Files:

22. ironhunter

ironhunter

Looks realistic anyway. Even got a 2-speed truck rearend! I'd have to say that is is either a genuine runner or someone went to a lot of trouble and expense to duplicate one. That rear suspension is very typical of the setups used on the Fords for that very reason.

23. ironhunter

ironhunter

Buddy of mine has a one-owner 66 Galaxie 2dr ht with the 390-4 for sale. He bought it from the original owner ( I guess that makes it a 2-owner car now?). Car came with all records including window sticker. He pulled the 390 and was going to put it in a Ranger, but found a 429 so the 390 is sitting with the car ready to go back in. Green with black interior. Said he'd sell it "cheap".

24. ironhunter

ironhunter

here's the 30-second version

Attached Files:

25. evilone0528

evilone0528

Junior Johnson lives less than 15 miles from my house.I have never met him,but I hear he is a real cool guy.

My family is from SW Virginia,the know quite a bit about running shine...lol.

26. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Me likey......Looks better that way...INMHO

27. Shine cars were built for speed and being unnoticeable, not for posing.

28. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I also live with 10 min from junior johnson, and im very good friends with dwight cass he lives 5 min from me, Dwight and my dad have allways been friends and ive kinda of fallin in with them. The coupe pictured is the real deal ive seen it many of time.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  29. hotrod_willie

hotrod_willie

untitled-216.jpg
    It looks like Dwight Cass is in big trouble. I see auction in future http://myfox8.com/2015/01/15/yadkin-county-man-faces-charges-in-connection-to-drugs-moonshine/