Register now to get rid of these ads!

Go for a ride? Mans best copilots!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sorry about the loss of your good friend. Before our aussie's we had a husky/shepard mix named neka. We had her for 16 years. It ripped our hearts out when we had to let her go. Junie and her sister allie have made us feel alot better.
    Gasser Girl

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

how about a cat that thinks she's a parrot? she is sitting on my shoulders licking the top of my head and keeps putting her tounge in my ear.I found this one in my garage loft in an old speaker box. she liked people as soon as i found her as a kitten. [​IMG]

3. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

Buddy looking for a ride.

Attached Files:

4. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

One of our hound dogs. She's a sweetheart.
    [​IMG]

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

right now i have two furry purring earmuffs, one cat on each shoulder, they are facinated by the cursor on the screen, nutty cats, i am normally a dog person but i like these two. they were born in my garage so they are hamb kittys anyway. :)

6. draginsteel

draginsteel

Sometimes there a little nosy!
    car upadate january 058.jpg

7. reichart90

reichart90

his name's "Milner"
    [​IMG]

8. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Blackie passed on just now, we are broke from me being laid off over and over and the vets refused to see him because we were. I told them i would work out something. best dam dog i ever owned. was my buddy for seven years. he ate something poisonus i think.

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

just a note,we went out late last night and dug a grave for him by the river in the woods out by the swamp, I think thats a place a lab would like to be laid to rest. this is killing me. lets see some positive dog pictures and stories again.

10. T BUCKET TERROR

T BUCKET TERROR

Max loves the view!

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      97.1 KB
      Views:
  11. 5window

5window

OK,Friends. 347 posts on pets and cars and, unless I missed it, NONE of you have any kind of restraint for your animal in your vehicle! You really love them ,that's obvious, but give thought for a moment what kind of missle your dog or cat becomes when you slam on your brakes and your friends go airborn. Trust me, the injuries we treat your pets for when they've been inside a car in an accident are just as critical as those that are HBC's (hit by car).

Your dog or cat does not need to be in your lap, or running around loose, or anywhere that it's safety or location might be a distraction to you and cause you to get into the accident.That's dangerous to you, your pet, your family and someone else's family that you might run into.

So, please, spend just a bit and get the proper restraints for your pet and use them. Just like you'd provide safety seats for your kids. I hate it when I need to tell someone their pet died because of injuries suffered while riding inside their car because they had it running loose.

We've all got our areas of expertise, mine just happens to be veterinary medicine. Talk to your vet about what's right to restrain you rpet in your vehicle. And when you take it in to the hospital, put the dog on a leash and the cat in a carrier. I'm getting way too old to spend an hour running through the bushes chasing your pets because they got loose and took off.:)

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think I mentioned it somewhere back there, I said something about the airbag,and them not riding in the front seat. airbag can kill them just like a little kid. you sound like you have a lot of sense and really care about animals. I wish you had been down here you might have been able to save my labs life. called every vet for a 200 mile radius and no one would see him without money up front,even though he was dying. I went back to work,have a job i could have made payments,but no one would accept that. so he died. hard to come up with cash when you were recently laid off.

13. axel

axel
    from canada

I'm a newb, mostly just looking at all the cool pic. I'm a bike guy but this is a very cool webite.I just had to reply to this thread though.

My forum name is from my german shepherd that I lost last year. That fuckin hound lived to ride in the back of the truck.I only had to jingle my keys and he'd be jumpin 10 feet in the air.

One morning he got the gate open (he was also an escape artist).I called the radio station and reported him missing.When I got home there was a message from a guy a couple blocks over.I called him and he told me that when he went out to the truck there was this dog sittin in the back.So he left him there with some water and took his car.When I go over there there he is sittingin the back of a 1979 blue f-150 4x4. The exact same truck as drove at he tome.Go figure.

The day he died, I came home from work and found him in his favorite spot under the trees in the back yard.I knew he was old but it was still a shock.This dog grew up with my kids,helped me through a divorce.They really are man's best friend, full of unconditional love.I got the brush out and gave him the brushing of a lifetime,even doing his tail.(he'd never let me touch his tail).loaded him into the back of the truck and took him out to all our fishing spots along the river.At the last one I sat in the back of the truck with him and a case of beer.I buried him there.Now when I go fishing there I know that Axel is there; chasing my floats,scaring the fish, rolling in dead salmon and pissing off all of the other fishermen just like he always used to.

I still find his hair in the shop.....fuck I miss that dog

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Please read!!!

If you are an owner of a dog that belongs to a 'dangerous breed' category and you also have a small child please take this as a warning. Don't leave your dog with the child unattended under any circumstances.

Only a little moment was enough for the following to happen. See the photo attached ....
    [​IMG]

we have a sweet female pit around our neighborhood she's so terrible, all four of the grandkids were messing with her out in the yard,pulling ears and tail and petting her fur off, and she just rolled over and let them scratch her tummy. :D

15. 5window

5window

No, not dangerous breeds. You DO NOT leave ANY dog unattended with small children. Supervised, they might be fine, but small kids don't have the inhibitions or motor co-ordination to safely be around dogs unattended. Accidents happen, controlled dogs are pushed to the limits.But, please trust me-or ask any ER doctor, you do not want to see kids with serious bite wounds,facial scarring,dead or maybe just afraid of dogs for the rest of their life. This really,really happens and the are more dangerous small dogs no one has ever said NO to because they're so cute than the Pits and Rotties out there. And make sure you dog has a rabies shot. Otherwise, it usually has to be put down and your vet has to remove its head and send it to the state laboratory. This is not my favorite activity as a vet and sadly, they usually come back negative for rabies, but it has to be done.

Also, check with your insurance company. Dog bites are a very large portion of homeowner claims and lots of companies don't really cover you. Make sure you have coverage, especially if you have a publically perceived "dangerous" breed. Just play it smart.Police and health officials take this stuff very, very seriously. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  16. Kerry67

Kerry67

Vets refused to see him ??? That is such BS........I thought they were supposed to be animal lovers. If I was a vet, I would work SOMETHING out with you so you could get your dog treated. Hell, even if it was washing the window in the animal hospital or something. To me this is pathetic on the vets part. No money, fine........barter something to help the dog and the people.

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

Great story.......Sorry about your loss but he sounds like he was a cool dog. My dogs are the same way........You grab your keys and their leash at the same time, they start doing back flips almost........

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I tried and there was nothing i could do, I suggested what you said to do, i would have driven him anywhere. we prayed over him and put it in gods hands,i prayed for him not to suffer and i don't believe he did. he made a noise right before he died to get my attention then he waited to die until i put my arms around him . as far as the post above,i think the point was that these are loving and sweet dogs, not that you should leave a kid alone with them, but the people who are trying to ban the breed are posting pictures of horribly scarred and bitten kids to scare people, this is turning those ads on their ear. I will rescue another lab pup for him. we may not be the richest people on earth, but they get to eat good food here, probably better then what i eat,and they have a loving home. all of my dogs were rescued off of the streets. one had already been rescued,she was abused before, we ended up with her. thats my wifes elderly beagle.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is Action Jackson! We have another but she sucks at car rides because she gets sick. Both are rescued American Pit Bull Terrier One from Atlanta and the other from Greensboro. They are my world.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. 5window

5window

It's all a very sad situation and we don't know all the details, but here it is from a vet's situation. We're not going to turn away any animal in an acute emergency situation, but there is a very finite limit to what we can do. Understand that vet hospitals are private businesses. No government subsidies, no help for meeting their obligations and it is very expensive to run a vet hospital. If a client can't pay for their pet, who does? The hospital owners. We've laid people off, delayed our paychecks, borrowed money on our line of credit and even kicked money back in to tide things over because regular clients aren't coming in for wellness appointments and vaccinations. So where are we supposed to get the money to help everyone else out who can't afford it?

So, if you are a regular client, we'll try to help you out. We do not have have a routine "payment" plan. It's too complicated, we've been burned far to often, I can't afford to be everyone's banker and there are options like Care Credit. But we can do only so much and there is a LOT of need.

If you are not my client, we'll still see and assess your dog, but there is a limit to the treatment we can offer.But if you don't have the funds, or a credit card or debit card, don't qualify for CareCredit and have no friends who will lend you the money, is it really fair to expect a vet to carry the load for you?

It's a really bad analogy,they're not living,loved creatures, but if you are in the auto repair business, how many cars could you fix for people who walk in needing repairs and are unable to pay for them? A few sure, but a small business has to pay their way.

If there were only a few cases that would be fine. And we do a lot of free work. But there is way more need than resources. All my staff and suppliers expect to be paid now. And it really is only fair that the vets are paid for their services,too. And, please, do not give me that bullshit about "not loving animals". You have no idea about the pain,disappointment,grief from loss and every other emotion we have to help owners with and cope with ourselves. You think it's easy telling folks they are going to lose their beloved pet, or sliding that catheter in to vein for the last time? And then, after comforting that person, go in to the next and be cheerful and attentive because they want a positive experience for their visit with their pet?

20+ years and it doesn't get any easier. And no pet in distress is turned away for my hospital,there's just so damned little we can sometimes do to help. And no, it is not right that every hospital turned no55mad away,even if it was only to humanly euthanize his friend. I am sorry about your loss.

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I understand it from your situation, it's tough economic times, this was a regular patient of one of the vets, he have gone there before and always paid, if someone could have saved him, there is no way they would be stiffed one cent on the bill, this was like one of my kids, if someone would have saved one of my kids lives i would have been eternally grateful, all i can do is move on,and maby save a pup from being put to sleep because of not having a home. we did have one vet who did offer to put him down if needed,we were prepared to do that if we had to, he seemed to slip away pretty pain free,and i think he wanted to die in his home with his other dog buddies and his humans there. just like we don't want to die in a hospital if we can help it. he knew he was going, i'm just glad i was here for him.

22. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

Here is Magoo. The worlds laziest pug mix. (puggle?) This is a rarely seen moving shot.....I probably had food in my hand.:rolleyes: I got him from the SPCA (pound) and he's the best dog I've ever owned....It's this one you've got to worry about, not the pit. He attacked my Dad one day when he walked into the house unannounced.....it was his house we were renting from him. :p He never did that again!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is Titan, my girlfriends web footed inbred Easter Seals candidate of a Pit Bull. (we think he is a mix) Friendly as shit and about as dumb. A friend of mine found him behind a dumpster near his condo when he was about 2 months old, when he walked up to him he pissed and started shivering (the dog, not the friend) and had a chain permanently attached around his neck (we had to cut it off). he called me to ask if I knew anyone who could take him because he was terrorizing his dog (some fluffy white thing) . I went over to check him out and we ended up with the little bastard. Great dog but Jesus Christ he's a dumb ass dog.:eek:
    [​IMG]
    and here he is going after a turkey.
    [​IMG]

23. I was at the vet the other day bording my Basset and a woman brought a little puppy in there because it had been hit by a car. It was in a box whining. She just wanted the vet to fix it up a little, wasn't her dog, she just happened to be there. They wanted her to pay for it and she explained that it wasn't her dog. The receptionist told her "You don't think we do this for nothing do you" ??? They told her to take it to the Humane Society but provided her no map, no nothing about how to get there. Just said it's over by so & so, you know .. She finally just left. I'll never, ever take my dog there again for anything, Nothing! Nada! .. It was just the attitude.

24. 5window

5window

Again, I'm sorry and it probably wasn't handled well.They could have checked it out for her. But vets get this all the time. She is not being a Good Samaritan if she picks up a dog and then expects someone else to take all the responsibility. She picked it up, but the vet is supposed to fix it for her. Then what? Will she take it back? Take it to the shelter? Put it back on the street? Or is the vet hospital supposed to just care for it open ended? I have a hospital, no room for harboring abandoned pets, I'd soon be overwhelmed and there would be no place for sick animals. And I have kept animals for months at my expense trying to find them a good home-one dog was there almost a year and had 6 foster homes before the right one clicked. And that was after we did a C-section and found homes for all her pups.

We are routinely called by Emergency Services and the State Police to help shelter dogs overnight. My hospital manager just went in on a Sunday night at 10:30 to admit a found dog-fortunately we found the owner. But we can't help every single foundling. Please keep in mind that you saw one incident, the receptionist sees dozens. These animals are a risk to the hospital,too. Parasites,rabies, diseased,biters because they're afraid- and no history available. Who helps out when my staff members are bitten or injured or exposed to disease? Is it just "their job"?

You were rightly upset,but what did you do? Did you offer to help pay for the dog's care? Donate time or nmoney to a local shelter? Offer to care for the dog if it was fixed up? If not, you were part of the problem,not part of the solution.

It's a bad situation, getting worse as people abandon or stop caring for more and more pets. Believe me, 99+% of us want to truly help and 100% of us have taken in more strays and abandoned,maimed animals than we can really support ourselves. And we feel like crap,but we just have to say no.

25. Kerry67

Kerry67

I get what you are saying. Sure you can't perform surgury or go to x-treme measures, but I certainly would have worked something out with him to give the dog medication so it was not in pain or suffering. Or, like you said, put it down humanly so it did not suffer.

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

I should add that my wifes sister is a vet and she gets FURIOUS if my wife ask's her a question about our dogs. Last time she was here, the first thing out of her mouth is "I will not answer any questions or look at any of your animals" WTF ??? That is her SISTER !!!! I told my wife that that is pathetic........

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thats terrible!! thats your own family, it's not like it's some stranger on the street. i mean i understand getting questions about dogs a lot,but if you aren't terrible busy it doesn't cost anything to answer a question. If i was a vet i know my familys animals would be well taken care of, thats your own blood there.

28. Kerry67

Kerry67

She says she is not at work so don't ask questions.....

29. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Sounds like she's a bitch.

30. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yep,most people who really love animals enjoy talking about them. they are endless fun. I'm watching this little female pit thats been hanging around outside. I'm thinking she must have an owner somewhere, she comes up to mooch food and attention. complete sweetheart. been laying in my lap getting petted. She must have had pups because shes drying up right now. she looks healthy,coat is clean,eyes are clean,same with ears. she's not skinny, good body fat, nice clean teeth with no tarter. is leppord spotted fur a characteristic of pits? she looks like a little hyena. If she turns out to not have a home i may end up adopting her. very sweet temperment. she loved the kids all playing with her, didn't protest once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.