Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Box information needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nixer, Mar 9, 2009.

1. I am looking to replace my stock 50 merc steering box with a tight one.

There is a guy on ebay (exk something or other) saying that he knows the box, but for 25 bucks will SELL you the information...

that is gay...

I believe we should help each other out..not for money...

So, anyone out there know what the box is from?? here is a pic if it helps.

Thanks,

tok

Attached Files:

2. What a total ass.

A short while back, some Ace collected info that the guys on a Mustang board wrote.
    Tech articles and info much like many of the HAMBrs post.

Collated it into a manual and was selling it on Ebay.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go to the Borgeson site and take a look at the steering box photos.
    Lotsa good info there.

3. c9: i will check out their site, I hadn't thought too so that may help.

McKee: My guess is a truck, but i bet it probably stays within the same brand..so maybe a ford truck??

tok

4. i have seen a number of boxes wtih 3 tabs...but not 4, that seems to be the biggest difference..not that it matters much.

Anyone got any ideas??

tok

5. 460 willy

460 willy
    from wisconsin

I am not positive but it looks like ford F150 250 van and ranger. They all took the same box I just changed one about 6 months ago and it looked just like that. Try your local pick-n-pull and just look around and see if you can find a match.

6. Mark T

Mark T

Hey Tok, What you have there is a Jeep Grand Cherokee Box. Late 90's.

Let me know if you want a few more pictures of this box from a different angles.

You owe me $25 bucks.

Mark

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  7. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Wasnt there an Izusu Trooper box swap in a magazine a while back? We used an F-150 box in a 54 Ford with great results.

8. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Why is he an ass? He took the time to do all of the legwork/experimenting to find out what works and what doesn't,,,, he shouldn't be compensated for that time/effort? No different then guys selling DVDs to teach thier info/skill.

If they decide to GIVE away the info on HAMB or youtube then so be it, but that is their call, not yours. We all BUY books for the INFORMATION, how is this different? :confused:

9. Mark...you should be on jepordy, I will take steering boxes..for 200 alex..

Sweet deal...i think I am going shopping..

kev..yeah, I saw the isuzu thing jamco, but finding one is really hard, and kind of expensive, seems this one you wouldn't have to do anything to, except weld some pieces to the frame..and the way I am going...it ain't going to hurt anything.

10. choppin..

nothings wrong with it but..except in a book I would get a whole lot more for my money, plus...in the OLD HAMB...people weren't in this for the money, if they knew something they helped a guy out, perfect example was when BobK helped me identify a gm bolt head that helped me get my first 59 chevy steering wheel, or Flattopbob sent me an intake valve for my merc flathead build without asking anything in return, that's what i mean.

tok

11. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

My bad, I thought you said you saw it on EBAY, not HAMB.:rolleyes: On books, thats bullshit. I have bought $20 books that were a wealth of info, but I hve also bought $20 books that were a waste of a tree. He's charging for the info, if its not worth the price TO YOU, then don't buy it. To many, it is worth not having to figure out not only the box, but maybe the template and the info on EXACTLY what needs to be done.

12. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Old expression,,,,, time is money. I have bought MANY plans and even parts for me to use the templates so I can save hours/days/weeks figuring out what I need to do. I figure I'm buying the research and design and for $25 how much time am I willing to scratch my head to figure it out?

13. Mark T

Mark T

That steering box was used from 1999-2004

Mark

14. tdoty

tdoty

Wow, I can get one of those locally for less than the guy wants for the info! $21!

Tim D.

15. Would you like someone taking your work and making money from it?

$25. seems a bit extortionary for a simple recommendation....

16. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

Our Kit uses an Isuzu box as do most. The box is 1987-93 Isuzu Trooper, 1991-97 Isuzu Rodeo or 1994-97 Honda Passport. This box is still available thru Napa Auto. Part #88279131 for $364.00 with a $166.70 core charge. There you go. All the info you need for under $25.00

17. jc Genty,

Thanks for the help. That wasn't soo hard. And now I can move ahead with my project.

tok