Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Wheel Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HD74, Mar 10, 2009.

1. HD74

HD74

Before and after pictures of my Crestliner wheel.[​IMG]

2. HD74

HD74

3. 64krusty

64krusty

Never seen one in real, yours looks great

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

high dollar wheel there

5. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

so what did u use?

6. Gerg

Gerg

who did the restoration?

7. havi

havi

That's really nice!

8. HD74

HD74

Thanks guys, but I can't take credit for the restoration, the credit goes to Quality Restoration Inc. Who also made the horn button. http://www.qualityrestorations.com/
    If you want checkout the web page.

9. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

Very nice . How long did it take ? What was the turn around time ? Do they still only deal through the mail ? I was thinking about having a wheel done but wasn't sure about having to mail it ..

10. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

ouch what does that cost about a grand? i considerred getting my 54 merc accessory wheel done but decided i will attempt to do it myself

11. Beautiful !!

12. HD74

HD74

About 2 month turn around time. Since I'm in Colorado I just UPS. and no problems. Things did take abit longer because of the horn button, but the wheel looks incredible.

13. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Wow, that looks a lot better! I always loved those wheels.

14. HD74

HD74

Dennis is in San Diego and are pretty much the "standard of the industry" when it comes to steering wheels. What many don't realize is that they also manufacture repops of many of the more popular steering wheels...the 49/50 Mercury "Accesory Wheel" being one. As with many other "special" items, if you have to ask the price then you can't afford it.

15. fordman

fordman
    from Wylie, TX

wow I gess I cant aford anything then. Price is the first thing I ask.

16. HD74

HD74

Ya, I had to ask too. Though the prices at first seemed high, but when compared to the cost of a unrestored Crestliner wheel that I've seen @ $4500 bucks the restoration was almost a bargin.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you add an extra zero there? Isn't that something around a 1/3 of the price of a driver quality car? I'm shocked to say the least. I guess Packard stuff is a bargain if that's the right price.

18. HD74

HD74

Its the rarity of the wheel. 1950 they made less than 20K of them. How many survived? You'll like this, back 1950 you could get one of these for $12.50 installed as a dealer option.

19. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

I have the metal part of a Creastline Wheel, The Guy I got it from said he sat in the old hull with a pair of pliers and broke the stuff off the wheel when he was about 9 or 10 he is 31 yrs old now.
    Being I am poor, I sent Dennis a email on how much, we will see. Your wheel is super!

20. fordman

fordman
    from Wylie, TX

I dont want to be perceived as an ass. My truck is only worth 6000 or so so I would never put a wheel worth that much on it. I did not say in the previous post That wheel looks great.

21. HD74

HD74

Never took it that way... and thanks. At some point it does seem a bit nuts, but the Koool factor is out of sight.

22. fordman

fordman
    from Wylie, TX

It is cool :D

23. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Maybe I should start advertising wheel resoration for that kind of bean$. I always thought it was one of the easier operations to do. Maybe I am just steering wheel gifted.

Jon

24. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

If you find it easy to produce perfect translucent custom wheels and recasts close to Dennis then ,, yes you should .

25. HD74

HD74

A lot of guy think a couple of tubes of JB weld some light sanding alittle paint, you got a restored wheel. In a year you'll start seeing the cracks and the paint peeling off. Been there! Well there's no JB weld here. This wheel is completely stripped to the metal and remolded using their proprietary formula. This wheel well never crack, at least in my life time and the thing has a great tactile feel, just like it was brand new.

26. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I've seen his work and it's high quality. I believe prices range from $650 to $1000...

27. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

OK, hear is Dennis price for my Crestline wheel, and his horn ring.
    $1,665.00 - Lifetime warranty
    In all fairness his process as stated is something to consider.

28. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

It might not be fair to post prices paid. Their prices vary greatly depending on the scope of work. They have their contact info on their webpage. Call them and ask about your exact wheel . Mine is a LOT less then $1600 . Different wheel = different amount of work = different price.
    I'm wondering ,,, Why does it take them so long to do ? Has anyone that has used Quality Restorations asked them ? I don't understand why it takes two to three months . Is that the time for the casting to set ?? Anyone know ? They can't be backed up with months of wheels to cast .

29. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's totally fair to post prices. People asked so they could get an idea. Two to three months is about what realistic chrome shop turnaround is. It's not quick but not super slow either, especially with how many guys are out there doing it. I have a 53 buick wheel that I might want him to work on so I emailed him last night. Quote was 750 and about a 4 week turnaround plus he could shrink it to 16" to fit my model A. Seems reasonable for that caliber of work.

30. IceBox

IceBox
    from Orange CA

Ok so now we have a idea of around $750 to $1700 , that helps . " Two to three months is about what realistic chrome shop turnaround is. " humm Not around here . My question was why the slow turnaround on a recast ,, no chrome . I though maybe someone who already asked Dennis that REALLY KNOWS would tell me.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009