Register now to get rid of these ads!

Build a shine runner tribute

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by purecountry, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Ok my first post so here goes nothing. I've been into old cars all my young life, especially shine haulers, coming from East Tenn. and hearing my dad sing "Thunder road" on the way to school in his truck every morning.I found a nice 40 ford coupe that a guy may be willing to trade for my 78 ford. The car has a mostly stock 302, 4 barrel, headers, small upgrades, with a t5 behind it. I'm thinking of making it a shine runner tribute if we trade. Its has an 8.8 with 3.55 gears, and I'm thinking of doing a 4.10 gear. Keeping the t5, finding a 3 deuce intake for the 302, if one exist. Painting it black, taking off the house of colors blue and silver flame paint scheme thats there now. Using air shocks to get that jacked up rear look. Pulling the rear seat and stacking it with boxes of quart jars full of "water" for car shows. Installing brake and tail light cut out switchs, and possibly a one wheel cutting brake. All tricks used on old shine cars. What else would add that flair to it? Definitely wanna run a thumpr cam for that nasty sound, as every shine hauler Ive ever heard talk said you could tell a hauling car coming by the rumble of the straight pipes/ or truck mufflers according to the era. Any ideas to help this young Marine born in the wrong era out? Thanks and Semper Fi Lcpl Duncan USMC

2. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

You found a guy that wants to trade a '40 coupe for a '78 Ford? That in itself is enough for me. Any pics of this transaction? Just seems too good to be true.:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  4. p0nyb0y

p0nyb0y

oki sucks just left there, motivator. i hit the bananna show up fo sho. i puked on the stage cause i was grossed out. worth the 2000 yen.

5. Been there done that. My buddy ate the banana to get an on stage bj. Every go to the Philippines or Thailand? Been to both. The dart show in interesting, the quarter show in the Philippines even more so.

6. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

hmmm... red necks .. big belt buckles...
    Dave

7. It's not a '40 - it's a '47

Attached Files:

• 1947.jpg
      1947.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
  8. That was my f&^k up. I wasnt paying attention to what I was typing.

9. Dude, that '47 looks like it's molded out of Play-Doh. I think I'd rather have the '78 Ford. At least you know what you have. The '47 is rougher than a night in jail.

JH

10. As another native of East Tennessee, ditch that '47 and keep looking for a '40 (perhaps the quintessential shine car). Or a '50 2dr Sedan or '57 like Robert Mitchum drove in Thunder Road. Oh, and you gotta at least put a fake oil dump sprayer out back to foil the "revenue boys" or those guys trying to move in on the shine trade in your area.....Don. p.s. Disregard the rear bumper release mechanism. I don't really think that happened much:eek:

11. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

better do a lil more research...

liquor runners did NOT build cars and engines that were easy to identify by either look, or sound. no straight pipes on any car i ever heard of. reground cams? sure. all the HP you would be able to squeeze out of em was a good thing.

the only reason those cars had the "ass high" stance was because they had extra springs in the rear to make em sit level when under a load. extra care was taken to ensure they could pass for a old woman on her way to a church social... it wasnt about cool, it was about cash

12. I know they only had the ass high stance unloaded, most of them ran truck springs. But I'm not hauling Im going for that look. And if you read return to thunder road, theres a section talking about how you could here the moonshiners coming as they would run truck muffler that would flow freer, or straight pipes. Best hauling car Willie clay call ever had was a 1963 4 door new yorker. But the instant reconginzable hauler car is a 40 ford, ass high before his load, rumbleing deep, usually with some monster engine. Flatheads with 2 or 3 strombergs, then later the caddliac ambulance engines, along with any thing else they could find that would make some horsepower.

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i say go for it!

Heres my shine car tribute. 1941 Nash

Attached Files:

14. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I have also been a ridge runnin' shine hauler style car fanatic all my life. Love the stories my friend's dads would tell from the 50's/early 60's while growing up around the Cumberland Gap area in Virginia and Tennessee.
    Here are a few pics of my Galaxie, including an old license plate topper I have mounted in the back window.

Attached Files:

15. Love that tag topper as well as the '64 Galaxie. One of my all time favorites.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The ones that you could hear or notice, those are the ones that got caught. The quintessential shine car was undistinguishable from a stocker. No noise, nothing to point to anything but a stock ride.

17. Absolutely correct Z.

The post war Ford is as good a candidate and a pre war they were still running shine then and still useing whatever old car had a big enough trunk to do it with.

18. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

4 lug suspension front&rear 14in wheel all unsize has just been thrown together keep looking

19. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Where is the shine run? Any particulars

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

yep just plain cars with damn good motors and suspension

Attached Files:

21. phukinartie

phukinartie

That car is a mess not one thing looks right and that is thru the rosey camera it even looks like it smells it would be better to start with a shell or a stocker

22. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

This one would haul

Attached Files:

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

that one wouldn't be a real bootlegger ride at all... sorry :eek:

it exactly what a runner isn't... an attention whore.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  24. BootleggerJim

BootleggerJim
    from SC

Will this one do??? I think he called my car a Whore...It's just for Fun "Genius"

Attached Files:

• J1.jpg
      J1.jpg
      File size:
      79.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  25. old bone

old bone
    from maine

I agree with fiddyfour...most runners that i have heard about had quiet pipes not to attract attention.....air shocks...no way!! crappy ride..get some coilovers shocks and weld some brackets....that 47 ford is no way stock 302...4 bbl...t-5.....damn nice set up though...yea she looks like she has a couple of gallons of bondo in her...but what the hell ...and to be a true runner you have to make some hidden compartments to run the sine...and dumping valves to get rid of the stuff if the fuzz is onto ya...and you have to make a switch to kill the brake lights if your getting followed....oh and no flame jobs...bets of luck...

26. Yeah I was wanting to do just a plain black paint job, doing the brake light switches. Tanker cars were never the big thing around home, from everything I can gather from the old men around home. Most people sold it by the case, and people wanna see what there buying. I guess I'll do the quiet pipes. Remeber this is a fun car, but I want something that will still scoot. I'd prefer an fe big block with a 3 on the tree, or a 4 speed. Anyone have an old ford car, something that would close to what Im looking for. Pre or post war, or possible some ford 50's models. What would be the norm for shine runners tires? My perfect car would be a 40 ford, no back seat, 428 big block with a 6 deuce intake, four speed, and some truck springs. Don't wanna do coil overs, I'd like to stay with a cheap and fast theme of the old cars.

27. repoguy

repoguy

Black with black steelies & caps. And ditch the 302 and throw a 50's caddy mill in there.

28. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Here's mine, its for real: Retired. 148-150 mph never got caught. Quiet as stock, handles like a sports car. 5800 rpms in high gear on a two lane with a 3.00 gear.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the big picture.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
    Baumi likes this.
  29. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

40 Ford..............................

and 428 CU IN.....................

with 6 deuce set-up !..........

NOT CHEAP !

DAMN NEAR PRICELESS.......

30. lostforawhile