Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Here's a better look at the Fanning Ford with those Dixons. And I guess Del Fanning moved the engine over to a track roadster a few years later. (Sorry for taking so long to get this uploaded.)

Attached Files:

2. Attached Files:

3. As it happens I have the results of that day's race: April 6, 1947 at Portland Speedway.

helmet dash: Zeke Zeigler, Allen Heath, Del Fanning
    1st heat: Del Fanning, Les Anderson, Marvin Cox
    2nd heat: Marvin Cox, Howard Osborne, Pike Green
    3rd heat: Digger Caldwell, Lloyd Blair, Dave Cooper
    main event: Howard Osborne, Digger Caldwell, Les Anderson, Pike Green, Del Fanning

There was also a 100 lap stock car race:
    Ray Chase, Hershel McGriff, Armand Millen, Larry Shute, Jud Fuller.

Attached Files:

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks for the pics Digney, I had no idea Heath was a Canuck, I just assumed he was native So. Cal.

5. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A. Heath 15 yrs. later in Bromme's 'Andy Gump' at Ascot 1962:

Attached Files:

• ah-1.jpg
      ah-1.jpg
      File size:
      90.5 KB
      Views:
  6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Henry Ford hired Harry Miller to build him 5 (i think) front drive flathead cars, which he did.. Then, Ford retired them all.. a few years later Andy got ahold of this one, put the Offy in it and went racing.

7. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Things are great. I'm covered up with work, re-oranizing my shop, and not finding ANY time to get on here!:p

I'll keep checking in.

...I don't think he did find much out, other that what was said on here.
    Thanks though!!

--------------------

You guys are doing great! The pictures are good and the topics and descusions are even better! Keep it up!

JD

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Red Riegel in the 25, Jud Larson in the 4- Reading-Mar. 1966.

Attached Files:

9. Al'svintageracing

Al'svintageracing

Does anyone have a photo of the sprint car driven by Ron Lux in five USAC sanctioned events in 1963? The car was black with yellow/orange trim, number 17, small block Chevy powered, sponsored by Pendleton Builders, East Aurora, NY.

I also need photos of the same car with a cage that ran as a super modified at Oswego 1964 - 1966. Ron Lux may have driven this car at Oswego in early 1964, or most probably another driver. Not sure if the car was still sponsored by Pendleton Builders at that time.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

In 1935 there was a quasi-official Ford entry which was financed by interested owners of Ford auto dealerships. Preston Tucker had talked Edsel Ford into this venture. An hitherto idle (i.e. mid-1933-1934) Harry A. Miller was enlisted to design these cars, which were built in Detroit. Ten Miller-Fords were quickly put together and constructed, four qualified at Indianapolis, and none finished. These Miller Fords showed real promise and some novel ideas but needed much more testing, before being put into actual competition. Many years later Art Sparks said, "You just can't design and build a race car overnight. The independent suspension, the streamlined enclosure for the springs, and the chassis, were advanced ideas. Harry Miller deserved better than a failure for the project." (Source: SPEEDWAY: HALF A CENTURY OF RACING WITH ART SPARKS by Gene Banning, (1983), page 143.)

11. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Below taken at Williams Grove 31 Mar 63. It was owned by Ben Moskel, sponsored by Pendleton Builders. Previous Nyquist Offy No. 29, then Pfrommer Offy, built by Hiram Hillegass in 1954. Famous for Mike Nazaruk, Jud Larson, Charlie Musselman, Tommy Hinnershitz, etc. I believe Moskel died later in 1963. Also think, not sure, it was the Kennedy Chevy driven by Bryant Ingalls in URC in 1965; it was blue then. The "surgery" on No. 17 wasn't popular with 1963 USAC fans who venerated the car as the Pfrommer Offy!

Moskel 17 - WEG a.jpg

Moskel 17 - WEG b.jpg

12. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Great pic showing side by side Offy vs. Chevy. Personally I like this transitional period the best. Some races the Offy won, and then others the Chevy spanked the growlers. I wish I could experience the torque push of an Offy just one more time.
    PK

Attached Files:

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A pack of Bowties attacking a Offy :eek::rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Probably no need to ask how this one finished up. Sorta like playin' Cowboys and Offys; the end was inevitable.
    PK

15. Buildy

Buildy

Photo of Hurtibise and Branson is terrific! I guess Terre Haute around 1963?

Who is in the #66?

16. Jim Holden

Jim Holden

Thanks to Tom Bliss for the picture of the Tom Leeson chassis (and Tom) "back in the day".

Jim

Attached Files:

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Correct, T/H 1963 with Mickey Shaw in the 66 and Marshman up high.

18. Old Bill, I hope you have lots & lots more of these pictures. Re the Pendleton car; was this the car that they removed part of the chassis(shortened)?? I remember hearing the announcer say this but I didn't remember what car it was until I saw your pic & info. Any idea what Motel that is or where?? Keep posting. ml9

19. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

mlight9: The Pendleton Builders car wasn't shortened; it was already close to the USAC sprint car minimum when it was built. There were some changes to the nose, mostly cosmetic as I recall, and of course the Offy was replaced.

The motel was on a hill a couple of miles from the Grove. It was called, as I recall, the Holiday Motel (not a Holiday Inn). There was a vintage car museum included on the site. Might still be there.

I'll post more as time allows; let me know what you want to see.

20. Al'svintageracing

Al'svintageracing

Old Bill: Great photos of the Lux car. Eventually I believe this car had a cage added - trying to trace the history of the car. I was told it may have been run at Oswego as a supermodified in 1964-1966? Do you happen to have any photos of the Kennedy Chevy driven by Bryant Ingalls? I have one of Ingalls in Bill Bauer's car number 75, but not the Kennedy car. Thanks.

Al

21. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Sorry, Al, I don't. I was shooting movies that season instead of photos. Ingalls also drove the former Tom Price No. 81 the season before switching to the Kennedy car. He told me (back then) that the Kennedy car had been the Pendleton car, but without a photo that's hard to confirm. I also don't remember if the Kennedy car had a cage when running with URC. And I never got to Oswego, so have nothing on its possible supermod career. Maybe you can locate Ingalls. He'd be in his sixties now.

22. racer5c

racer5c

There is a Bryant Ingalls that is an Indy Car Mechanic the worked for my step dad at one time, the age would be about right I will contact him and see if he is the same guy

23. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Al, Ron Lux Drove Howard Purdys lil Duece in the day at Oswego. Check out www.jakessite.com and go to the links page as there is a story on the LIL duece. It can also be accesed by going though jakes pic pages. Tom Bliss

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I wanted this one so bad I couldn't stand it. Didn't have the loot when it was for sale. Maybe some day I can do a Nailhead powered sprint car...

Attached Files:

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

From the waaay back machine; appears to be Legion Ascot, probably around 1925 or so.

Attached Files:

• asc1.jpg
      asc1.jpg
      File size:
      108.2 KB
      Views:
  26. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Here i am in my #53 Hillegass dueling it out with the Purdy Duece driven in this race by Bentley Warren. This was a 100 lap Super Modified race at Pocono 3/4 mile track in 1969.

[​IMG]

27. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Ron Lux............"the Buffalo KID"............Heres a few-Tom Bliss

Attached Files:

28. Old Bill, re Nyquist/Pfrommer/Pendleton car......
    What about the car Owned &/or driven by Art Plas?? In Rose/East B.R. pgs 214 & 217, both say it was ex Hinnershitz car. In each pic the cars are painted different. Thanks again. ml9.

29. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

mlight9: Tommy owned two Hillegass cars (after other earlier Ted Horn and Bob Blake cars) one built in 1951, other built in 1954. The 1951 car was light blue, then the Miracle Power yellow, blue and red. The 1954 car was always in the MPS colors. In late 1957 the 1954 car was sold to Herb Swan who drove it (along with other USAC drivers) in USAC. In late 1958 it was sold again to Lowell Behner, and raced in AARC and USAC, usually by Art Plas. Don Branson drove it once in USAC Midwest Division. After selling the 1954 car, Tommy drove for John Pfrommer in the ex-Nyquist car which later went to Ben Moskel (Pendleton).

30. Old Bill, your info is terrific. I never heard of the "AARC". Where did they race ? Keep posting any info or pics of sprints circa '50's & '60's when you have the time. ml9.