Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tucci's "Sinuous" Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WelderSeries, Mar 7, 2009.

1. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Now that the car is done and Autorama is (almost) out of the way, I thought you would be interested to see some in depth build pics of this '35. These pictures were taken over the course of about seven years. If you noticed, I live in Ontario, and Dave is in New York. What gives? A few times a year I would come and stay with the Tuccis and focus on this car for a few weeks. I can't explain how much I learned working with Dave and his guys. I made new friends, new skills, and it was such a joy to see the car finished. I bet you didn't check out this thread to hear me waxing poetic so here are some pics.

We'll start with revision 1 of the rear control arms. They were hand fabbed, with hidden hardware. The last picture shows the pivot bolt hole without the end cap. There were little caps that slipped in the end hole, and to get them out we drilled a little hole on the frame side of the bung that you could shoot air into and the cap would pop out.

Attached Files:

2. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Tech Tip Interlude: how to drill a huge hole in something that's hard to clamp.

Gauge cluster revision 1 was going to flow from the console, but then we thought it would look too "console-ey" and it was put right in the dash.

The tube center console/armrest was a 6" exhaust tube that we sectioned about 1" and welded back together to create an elliptical shape. In the last picture you can also see where the leading edge of the door was extended and rounded.

Attached Files:

3. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

These pictures focus on the brake and gas pedals. Since the car is drive by wire, we had to use the factory gas pedal "sender". The OEM pedal mounts against the firewall, but on this car there was no room for it there. So with it mounted to the brake pedal bracket, it oriented the plug right into the underdash panel. That meant I had to machine a little adapter that would let the sender rotate 90 degrees and point towards the firewall.

Attached Files:

4. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Please keep this coming. There is so much to learm from these types of post.

thanks for taking the time to document and share with us.

5. Wow, I haven't heard Dave Tucci's name in a while, we usually catch up with the New York crowd at Carlisle, I know they do good work. Since spring is about here and Carlisle is around the corner it's time to call those guys. Man, time flies! Greg in Baltimore:).

6. so slick,different gravy!!

7. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

what's up with the single star?

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Most likely someone voted it down for being kind of O/T. It's a street rod. Doesn't really make the traditional cut. Not that the fab isn't outstanding, it is. Just not what this place is about.

9. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

are you posting to get stars or to share with us the build and amazing work that went into it. dont worry about it.

10. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

you're right... I've already forgotten about it :)

11. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

7 years,man that is dedicated! Would be hard not to lose motivation. Nice fab work.

12. Glen

Glen

More pics please.

13. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

First picture is the console made from big rig exhaust tubing, sectioned 3/4". The door hole was just cut in the top, and I was getting ready to make the hinges.

The next three pictures show the beginning of the second version of the hood hinges. First edition had the hinges going through the firewall... you can see the hole in picture three at the bottom. The second picture (looking under the dash at the passenger side hinge) gives you a good idea of the way it works: the circle of tubing pivots around the bolt in the center. The hood is aluminum and weighs just a little more than a little bit, so we figured making the hinge out of 1/2" tubing would be fine. I think it's 1/2", if I remember correctly. The tube that points towards the bottom right of the second picture is the alignment bar I whipped up to keep the pivot bolts on the same line when I was making the brackets.

more later...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  14. dirty petcock

dirty petcock

DW, Post more pictures. I think I took like two pictures with my camera of the 35' in the two years I worked on it... lol. the only things I can really remember doing were the gas tank and the garnish moldings. It's all a blur to me.

15. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Hey Jeremy, I'll try and remember to put some up from home.

You did a lot of work on it!

16. RAY With

RAY With

Excellent post and very informative.