Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Blue Suede Shoe...box!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

What a week this turned out to be! With the economy being what it is, it seems that project cars (and used cars in general) are getting cheaper and easier to find. I checked out several prospects recently, but once I stumbled onto this one, I knew it was exactly what I wanted!

It began with a phone call Thursday night, followed by an early morning drive across town and out into the country to take a look at this little gem! The seller was a great guy who did an excellent job getting the car as far along as it is mechanically, and for once I was actually impressed with the work that had been done (normally it seems you have to go back and correct all the mistakes the previous owner made, but not true in this case...I just have to pick up where he left off...how refreshing!). It was a restoration project that he had started and was selling to finance a 57 Chevy two-door project that he just picked up.

(I tried, but couldn't talk him into selling that one, too!) :D

Anyhow, the car runs and drives great...with a rebuilt 235 "New Blue Flame" six banger (yes...I bought a Stovebolt, I can't believe it either!), rebuilt transmission, new clutch, rebuilt shift linkage, new brakes and new front end parts. It's quiet and smooth and goes down the road like a champ...steers tight, stops straight and hums right along! After a quick test-drive along the rural dirt road, I turned the car around and headed back to talk to the seller. Minutes later, a deal was struck and I think we both walked away happy!

I called Kip my flatbed guy and he was able to head right out there and pick the car up for me, so I went home to wait for it's arival!

Kip showed up about an hour and half behind me with the car safely strapped to his truck and we unloaded it so I could spin it around the block and into the yard!

[​IMG]

I could've driven the car home, but it still needs a few things...mostly TIRES! It's got some scary looking antique bias-plys on it now that could blow at any second! I'm just trying to decide what I wnat to do as far as rolling stock on this car. I kinda like the steelies with the small caps, but I also think a set of 14" Astro Supremes with thin white radials would look dynamite on this car! I have a few other ideas as well, but I'm open to suggestions, photoshops and ideas, too!

[​IMG]

Aside from tires, I need to wire up the lights before I can drive it. The previous owner has it wired so it starts, runs and charges, but didn't get as far as finishing the wiring. No big deal there, since i like to wire my cars myself anyway!

[​IMG]

This one is going to be a driver, just as cars are supposed to be. I'll keep the six popper till it dies, then go with a small block V8, but I want to retain the three speed manual no matter what motor ends up in the car down the road. I like the column-shifted manuals!

[​IMG]

I still wake up and pinch myself every day! I can't believe I was lucky enough to find such an incredible 55 Chevy! I'm still walking on air and it's been here for a few days now!!

[​IMG]

(Just waiting for the monsoons to end so I can get started on it!!!) :eek::D:cool:

2. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

AWESOME!! thats what its all about. Now you have to sift thru the "its a four door" posts tho" lol.

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Wow...what a great score.

4. jdubbya

jdubbya

Glad to see you found a new ride... now you just have to come up with a s fancy name for it.:D

5. Great Find! Look forward to seeing it! Always liked 55's!

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...I haven't actually put much thought to naming this baby yet, but the name "Doris" popped into my head as soon as I saw it for some reason! I'll have to see what comes to mind after I've lived with her a while!

Did I miss you at Autorama yesterday, Joe??? Where were all you Flintoids this year?!

:confused:

7. jdubbya

jdubbya

Me, Pete, his wife Jenny, and our buddy Billy were down there late afternoon/ evening on saturday. We made sure we were there to experience the madhouse when leaving, due to the "T.I."(rapper) concert also taking place at Cobo on saturday night.

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I got there at about 10am Saturday and left around 5pm...sorry I missed you guys!

Oh, the new ride has a name now...came to me today while I was getting insurance and plates in order..."Blue Jean"! It's simple, cool and catchy...David Bowie would be proud!

:D

9. Cool Hack!

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Good for you Hack! Good seeing you this wknd.

11. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

that car rules! now put them new shoes on her!

12. jdubbya

jdubbya

Pffffft... David Bowie, try Neil Diamond. We all know that you took the name from one of his songs.:D

Attached Files:

13. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Nice score! I've got a soft spot for tri-5 4-door sedans, especially the 150 & 210 models.

14. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Well, yeah...I'd thought of that one too...got the 8-track and everything!!! :D

15. RacerRick

RacerRick

Nice car. Need a set of slot mags for it - lol?

16. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Slots? Naw...I'll run those on a Torino someday!! :D