Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Falconred

Falconred

Sorry I dont know where I got this photo to give credit:

[​IMG]

2. In conjunction with the FCA National Meet:

Thunderbolt Owners Association
    45th Anniversary Thunderbolt Reunion
    Hyatt Regency - Dearborn, MI
    June 26 - 27 2009

If you like these cars spread the word!!!

3. Don't know if this one has been posted before, but John Donilson's AWB Thunderbolt, "Hell Fire", that was evidently involved in a fatal accident at Union Hill (Nashville, TN) in 1966.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. Here is the Jake King, Atwater Ford T-bolt. Does anyone have any idea what happened to it? Jake King went on to be part of the great Sox & Martin team. He painted all the S&M Hemi's Ford blue as a tribute to his blue oval roots!!!:D

Does anyone have anymore T-bolt photos??

In conjunction with the FCA National Meet:

June 26 - 27 2009
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Attached Files:

5. 1lowf100

1lowf100
    from zanesville

great thread! this is my dream car, i would sell off all my projects for one. i kick myself in the a$$ al the time for the one i passed on about 10 years ago. it was just a hard top, not a post car, but factory v-8 and only 400.00 dollars. it was missing the side chrome and motor and trans, the quarter panel had been hit also, i still don't know why it is not sitting in my garage right know. i love all the pictures keep them coming, along with all the history,and great storys.

6. Valpmopar

Valpmopar

These are some pics I took at Old Drag Racers Reunion 07,Panama City,Fl.Willie D. Smith was there with his car,first time out in years.His is 1st car in pics.

Attached Files:

7. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

8. Thanks for the photos guys. I've heard the "Wrecking Crew" car is just about ready to come back out and race after an extensive redo. It is an original T-bolt too.

9. Falconred

Falconred

Jody, have you asked over on the Yahoo SS forum??

10. No, I haven't. I used to be a member over there but it got to "new" for me and besides that I couldn't keep up with all of the emails...:eek:

I'd love to find out what ever happened to it though!!

11. brandon

brandon

there was a pic of it on someones surface plate getting ready for a backhalf redo....one of dallas' old 64 lightweights is getting redone as well.... former a/s record holder and winter nats winner.... :D

12. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Great Thread:

Would the Vintage 60's Altered Wheelbase 1964 Fairlanes such as "LiL'" Pete and "Rattlesnake" Austin began life as factory FORD Thunderbolts then later modified to AWB cars?

Was the re-arcing of the firewall modified by FORD to accept the wider FE scattershields or will the standard 1964 Fairlane firewall accept a FE bellhousing WITHOUT mods?

Where all trhe factory 1964 Thunderbolt Fairlanes "K" code cars?

Where they all Sedan Post cars?

Thank You again.

Attached Files:

13. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Jody,

At one of the S/S Reunions we asked Jake King. He indicated the car belonged to the dealership and went back there to be sold or went to an auction. He had no idea who got the car.

Regards,
    Dennis

June 26 - 27 2009

14. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Lil Pete was originally delivered to Marv Tonkin Ford, Portland OR for Jim Price, it was a four speed car.

Snake Austin's car was originally delivered to Cuthbert Motors, Cuthbert GA for Emmitt Austin, it was an automatic car.

Most of the firewall hammering was to clear the HX automatic bellhousing, although the starter pocket area and a line contact area around the RC scattershield was also required.

The factory cars were all 4F41K------ VIN's.

The factory DST built cars were all 1964 Fairlane 500 2 Dr. Sedans. The 63.5 and 65 cars were Fairlane 500 2 Dr. Hardtops. These were also built at DST.

Regards,
    Dennis

June 26 - 27 2009

15. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Dennis, If the Marv Tonkin Ford, Portland OR car was for Jim Price, where did Bill Ireland's car come from?

Any original photos of Lil Pete and Snake Austin Thunderbolts before the wheelbase was altered?

16. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

Thank a million Dennis.

To the best of your knowledge did the original 1964 FORD Thunderbolts have the small 5 lug by 4.5 inch bolt pattern or were they the large 5 lug by 5.5 inch bolt pattern?

Were the 4 speed transmissions the long tail shaft FE based or small block short tail shaft based? Either way how close would a original 1964 Thunderbolt 427 FE with 4 speed mount to the original 1964 Fairlane 4 speed tunnel hump? Of concern is if the tunnel floor needs to be cut up and relocated the shifter position.

Thank you again.

17. Falconred

Falconred

Snake Austin, I think I got these photos from Jon Hazelgren.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't have any photos of the Marv Tonkin Ford, Portland OR - Jim Price car.

18. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Here's a site I found some thunderbolt photo on - http://www.dearbornflashback.com/dragcars.asp

And here's a clip of a Thunderbolt making it's 'condition run' at the Hershey Fall Meet in October.

<object width="445" height="364">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pb3A5ASTpA0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></object>

19. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Bill Ireland's was delivered to Damerow Ford, Beaverton, OR. It was an automatic car.

Regards,
    Dennis

20. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

The Thunderbolt used the production 1964 Fairlane 5 lug 4.5" bolt circle.

The manual transmission was the longer Galaxie style case and extension housing, B-W Aluminum T-10 with a 2.20 1st. The shifter lines up with the production 289 four speed Fairlane tunnel cover plate. Likewise, if a toploader was installed, early Galaxie extension housing. Everything lines up, no cutting required on either.

Regards,
    Dennis

June 26 - 27 2009
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

21. Falconred

Falconred

Dennis, do you have any photos of the :

Bill Ireland's was delivered to Damerow Ford, Beaverton, OR

Marv Tonkin Ford, Portland OR car was for Jim Price

I don't seem to have any of them, thanks ahead of time. When you coming south again? Look forward to seeing you.

Robert Turner - Falconred

22. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Looks like 4 two barrels, twin paxtons . . . any details?
    Nice car.

23. CENTURION

CENTURION
    from SEATTLE

More Rattlesnake Austin and this 1964 AWB Thunderbolt.

Attached Files:

24. shellacked

shellacked

Interesting! My uncle and father raced a 1960 Ford Falcon named Humpin' Henry (Also named "Humpin' Henery" for a while due to spelling error during painting) between 1969-1972 in California. I'm trying to figure out if these cars are connected in any way.
    [​IMG]

25. Shellacked, I don't know much of the history of Hump'n Henry other than it was campaigned by Sid Stout Ford, out of Amarillo TX.

26. Falconred

Falconred

This is Platt's car then: Sorry but I don't have written down where this photo came from.

[​IMG]

As Restored at Commerce FF Weekend several years ago. My Photo, Robert Turner - Falconred

[​IMG]

27. RmK57

RmK57

Comes up from Washington state every year to All-Ford drags.

Attached Files:

28. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

A photo of Bill Ireland's Thunderbolt can be seen in Larry Davis' book Super Stock-Drag Racing the Family Sedan. It is on page 125.

29. Here's a pic of one I saw at a show yesterday...

[​IMG]