Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 86 yr old guy shows his collection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostinthe60s, Mar 8, 2009.

1. lostinthe60s

lostinthe60s
    from Midwest

2. WOW!!

That Dodge screen side is awesome.

3. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Wish I was his favorite son and top of the list in the will..

4. Wonderful pack rat...my kind of guy. It will make a hell of an auction some day.

5. hotrod_guy

hotrod_guy
    from CA

What will be sad is that if he passes away, someone will come along and junk it all, and clean the place up to sell the real estate.

The people that junk it will have no REAL idea what is there. I bet the old guy knows that yard inventory like the back of his hand.

6. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

I would like to be his favorite nephew, but I already have two garages full of treasures. Still not a quarter of his collection. I still have a few years to catch up to him.

7. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

We should take up a collection and get this fella some new tarps.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I have it on good information that he is going to fix all of those old cars up and tomorrow is the starting date. Stop back in a couple of decades and i'm betting you'll be able take all of them for a ride.

Frank

9. justacarguy

justacarguy

He knows that yard and everything in it really well. Sweet guy, he gave me that tour for three hours, had stories every minute, and facts about all his vehicles. When he told me about what was going to happen to all his stuff, he pointed out that his only daughter is going to get an inheritance of a half milllion, and the house, but she pointedly asked about a bank account of 20 thou he hadn't mentioned, and that pissed him off. The auto museum of San Diego has badgered him about donating his collection to them for years. He pointed out to me that the value of his collection is far more than those cheap bastards can afford, so they want him to just give all his vehicles to the museum. He doesn't like those guys very much.

He is a really nice guy, and I wish more people were as hospitable and willing to share their time and collections with strangers who walk up and say, "Hi, I'm wondering if I could talk to you for a few minutes about the cool cars you have in your yard" Three hours later, he was a bit out of breath, but as nice as the moment I met him.

Enjoy the videos and photos guys,

Jesse
    http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/

10. pastlane

pastlane

Gonna restore that some day

11. roger lawless

roger lawless

Lot's of nice Motorcycle's too. I have seen many guys like that and the stuff eventually rot's away or the crusher get's it.

I was looking for some VW parts one day and answered and ad this guy had on Craigslist locally. So I went over and discovered the largest BIG rear window Chevy truck collection, unrestored, I had ever seen in one place. He musta had 10, ten, of those 55 to 59 trucks just parked under the trees. Very sad to see them rotting away. He also had Bus's, Bob Tail trucks, VW's, car's of all kind's and the County told him to clear it all off or they would do it for him:mad:. I hope someone with a brain got those Pickup's b4 the crusher did.

Roger

12. I don't know him but I like that Old Guy. Good to see the Climate has not eaten everything up. He loves that stuff for what it is, not for it's Cash value. I can totally relate.
    The Wizzard

13. His good-fer-nothin' grandkids will end up selling it all for scrap.... hope not..

I wonder if he's sell the skirts off of the 38?

14. henry29

henry29

I think this was posted here well over a year ago, old guy may not even be around anymore.

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

My wife and friends all say it's a good thing I
    dont have too much money or I would end up
    just like that guy.But I would enjoy every minute.

16. 1953 corvair?,,,lets try 63. HRP

17. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That is a great story and I hope that guy lives to be 120 years old !
    I knew a few people like that in my life time and were just like him . He WORKED HARD for everything he owns and he is right by not giving everything away for nothing . He really has some great cars , bikes and a little bit of all kinds of history there ! Wonder how many guys are trying to get to his daughter ?

18. Squablow

Squablow

I wonder if the guy has any old stuff that is driveable and used regularly?

It's a pretty great collection, I highly doubt it would get scrapped, but I would guess it'll get auctioned off at some point, sounds like he has just one daughter who doesn't seem real interested in the collection.

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I wish it was all on video. I'd even sit through commercials to hear everything he had to say.

20. 52chevydeluxePDX

52chevydeluxePDX

Very cool. You know thats his entire life sitting out there in his yard. I'd love to talk to him and get the tour as you did. Just imagine there's got to be thousands of old guys with stuff like that all over the country. Maybe Leno will get hold of the collection and restore it all! Now that would be cool.

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

whatta a junkpirate lol place is a treasure trove cant wait to see the follow up post on the estate auction ,

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sign me up for the go-cart. Unusual bike with the cast iron Briggs and Stratton on it, along with the wooden "spacer" it sits on. Elderly people collecting anything, from news papers, to bottles, to animals to this kind of stuff, is really an illness, even though it seems "harmless", and it starts when they are much younger. I'M NOT RUNNING THIS MAN DOWN!!! I wonder what the interior of his house looks like. I bought an ex Navy, 58' Chevrolet pickup from an old fella once. The inside of his house was full of newspapers, stacked everywhere. There were little paths between the stacks of papers, and it was a little scary to walk through. The daughter, seems more interested in her inheritance, than what's really going on with her dad. These people are extremely hard to reach, and get any kind of treatment provided to. At least he has a really cool collection of stuff, and it probably keeps him happy. I'd also be concerned what the code compliance people would do these days. Butch/56sedandelivery.

23. 37RAT

37RAT
    from Wisconsin

Everytime I read and see something like this my heart starts to beat faster, truly wish you could have recorded your conversation with the gentleman. I love talking to older people like that and listening to there stories. What a great collection of stuff !!!!

24. phukinartie

phukinartie

OMG that is me 40 years from now.....I hope

25. Bummer , I lived in SoCal all my life and never met this guy !!!!!

26. aceuh

aceuh

Lots of history there....Cool shirt too!

27. Holy cow, what a collection, wish that was my grandpa.
    That's there is some cool stuff.

28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, he's 10 yrs. older than me, but the sad part is what most you younger guys have heard over & over----" Yeah, SOMEDAY" I'm gonna restore this stuff!!!! I have heard that for 40 years!!!----They die off & more than likely, the "Crusher" wins!!
    I forseen this about 2 yrs. ago,----Started getting rid of "stuff".-----------Don

29. junk fiend

junk fiend

[​IMG]
    wow thats a big spark plug!!

30. justacarguy

justacarguy

Wow, glad so many of you appreciate his collection and him giving me a tour as much as I did. Recording our entire conversation? Well, that wouldn't post, due to the 100megabyte limit on each video... it's about 20 seconds I think, per video. So I'm only able to get clips, and take photos.

I plan on stopping back in and seeing him again this year, but I'm this close to being afraid that he's passed on, and it's all gone.

Imagine for a moment, that some guy like this lives in your county, and all it takes is asking around to find him. Me? I was a meter reader and came across this place and could see the Auto-gyro in the front yard, and the BMW Isetta 600 in the side yard, and damn little else, but I knew just from those two things that this was a rare individual. From all the photos I took, and the few videos, I know you agree.

And if he's there, I'm asking to be the next caretaker of that sparkplug collection. Not stupid, since you know, really know, that he's not selling a damn thing. It's all being neglected til he dies, and the next generation has to find owners for all that great stuff. Just like the 18 semi trailers collection from Wisconsin that was in Car Craft or Hot Rod. I posted about it too on my blog (justacarguy.blogspot.com) it's a treasure trove that is worth so much that some rich guy will buy it all, sell off everything at auction except for a few gems, and make 2wice the money in profit.

I appreciate your comments guys, and hope you find that local collector, or cool hot rod that is in your neighborhood. They are still all over the place, I come across them about once a year. How about a Baldwin Motion Nova that the original owner still has, and he bought it 'cause he saw the ad in Hot Rod.