Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's see some sheet metal shaping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhnarial, Sep 16, 2008.

1. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Let's see some more art please!

2. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

this is one of the coolest threads I have ever seen. Thank you all for your contributions..

3. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

4. irace2win41

irace2win41

All I can say is....wow!!! You guys have some awesome talent.

Rod

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

6. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Very "Road Warrior".

I like it.

:D

7. woodscavenger

woodscavenger
    from idaho

Shane, quit being a show off.......actually that is awesome, keep it coming!

8. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

shane... are you posting any of this stuff on the Friday Art Shows? you guys should definitely be posting there if not. some of this stuff is blowing my mind....

9. Randy Ferguson

Randy Ferguson

Here's a couple recent projects. Willys deck lid.

[​IMG]

And a Willys gasser rear fender.

[​IMG]

Got a ways to go on that missing coupe body, huh!!!

10. chopt49

chopt49

Great work Randy...

And Shane - holly hell brother that is nuts!

11. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

12. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

13. THE MAESTRO

THE MAESTRO

your fender looks great!!! and you didnt quit when things didnt go right ,i have been doing this a long time and have also made a "few prototypes" along the way, just wait until you pick-up tig welding, major diff. in finishing out you metal ,easier to work ,finish shaping ,ect. again great work, THE MAESTRO

14. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Hey jhnarial so when is class............WOW on the fender!........very good!............

15. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

MAESTRO

I have picked up on tig welding.Still have to learn a lot more but hopefully that will come with experience.

Picture 128-1.jpg

I spend pretty much every weekend practicing.I want to be good but I don't even think I have scratched the surface yet.I can fumble my way through most panels but with each one I have an ah ha moment.

We are thinking about having a small get together.maybe 15 or twenty people and teach each other things that we have learned.

I'm kinda of thinking about starting a social group here on H.A.M.B.Maybe some where we can talk about different techniques or patch panels or re-placement panels.

Would anybody be interested?

Here is my practice project for this weekend.I found this picture on the web with different tracking patterns.

E-WheelShapes.jpg

I haven't spent to much time with tracking patterns.I would just wheel the piece until it fit the pattern then wash it out.

I just kind of looked at the English wheel as a raising machine.If the pattern was telling me to raise the metal(stretch) I raised it with the wheel.Or if it was to much I would just put it back on the bag and stretch it until it was close.

Now I want to spend some time playing with some different tracking patterns,just to get myself familiar with them.

So tomorrow I will cut some blanks and try and re-produce the picture above.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  16. Dyce

Dyce

The tracking patterns will work Johnny but the pictures are exagerated a bit to show the shapes I think. The reverse on the bottom looks like wishfull thinking:)

17. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

that was the only way I could do a reverse but it also flattens out the radius.I will try it out and post some pictures.

like the new avatar Jeff

bigbore likes this.
  18. Dyce

Dyce

That's my Dad's first racecar back in the early 60's. He was sitting inside and my uncles were working on it.
    He didn't look happy
    [​IMG]

More here.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1807
    Build pictures:)

19. THE MAESTRO

THE MAESTRO

jhnarial very impressive work I posted before going though entire thead ,but the tig work looks great! as for the practice patterns the last one is very close to how a 34 ford rear body panel is done [the panel between the rear fenders] some call it a "duck tail" shape. what type e-wheel do you have ? alot of my work is in 35mm film format need to get scanner to work with pc and post pic on site THE MAESTRO

20. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I just have a home made wheel MAESTRO.I am getting ready to build a new and improved model.I just need to gather up some material.

I did get some practice in today.I played with tracking patterns I was talking about.I got done with a few of them.I didn't try and make them perfect,I just wanted to check how the metal moved.Here's the results.

tp 002.jpg

tp 005.jpg

tp 009.jpg

tp 015.jpg

tp 018.jpg

22. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I could show the build Mac but I don't think there will be much interest in my new wheel.I'm building A large wheel this time.Here's a rendering of what I got in my head.It could change depending if I find a good deal on the metal.

Picture 106.jpg

I want a large upper wheel and 6'' lowers.

23. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Wow! :eek:

That is a beefy wheel!

24. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

Shane you going to the minn. meet?

25. ssgkennedy

ssgkennedy

MN meet? I'd like to play.

26. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Not sure we will make it this year.

Maybe we will show up next year with a Baileigh Power Hammer in the truck. :D

27. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

So THAT'S what I need to do with those giant short pieces of steel beams they have at the local scrap yard. :cool:

I went there I think Thursday, selling for 30 cents a pound and buying for 2.5 cents a pound, freaking thieves..... :mad:

28. I think there would be some interest. I am interested, anyway. Haven't built one yet (hopefully this summer) - the more designs I have to look at, the better. I like the I-beam bit - that thing looks super tough. I'm sure i won't build anything that big the first time around, but anyone (including me) who builds a little one and really uses it, is likely to want to go back and build a bigger one down the road, so it would be nice to see more build-ups of of big ones to reference when the time comes. A small benchtop will do for the projects I have underway (patch panels, cowl work, etc), but when I move on to the next project I want to build (definitely not going to be this year), I will probably need a big one.

29. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

I would recommend building at least a 24'' throat.Leave your bottom tool arm as clear as possible.That's why i prefer a upper adjuster.i built my first wheel with out having a clue on how to use one.Now I kind of have a little better understanding and there are defiantly things I want to improve.

I believe the c frame is the way to go.If you look at Imperial English wheels,that is the best design out there.If I were to buy one that would be my first choice.

If I were to build one I would first figure out what I was going to use for a adjuster.Next I would figure out what material I was going to use for the frame.The heavier the better.Then I would cut some plywood strips the same dimensions as the frame material.then cut my frame out of the plywood strips and get everything line up perfectly.

The more precise it is the better it will work.If i wasn't so broke I would just order one.I can afford a harbor freight English wheel but I would rather just burn my money then buy that piece of junk.That's just my personal opinion.I'm not a big fan of harbor freight.

30. Bill H.

Bill H.

Johnny,

I would like to get a larger set of lower anvils, and build a tank of an upper wheel.

Lets start talking about this wheel more and make one, improve on second, and make them with the slide idea, for easy lower arm movements.

Im not going to make this a tool thread, but lets get to thinking of it. I have a couple more ides, but nothing really new.

BH