Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Wynn's #1, Brian 26, Spike, & The 37kid, thank you all very much for your help. It is very much appreciated. And that includes Old Bill & Mac Miller too. After trying to find info on this car for several years & now I have received a wealth of info & pics in just a month or so. This is a terrific site. ml9.

2. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Here are a couple of the Chariot ex-Weinberger-Seymour car arriving at New Bremen for a USAC show on June 28, 1970. John Hubbard drove it that day and much of the season. Bill Puterbaugh and Chuck Booth also drove it in USAC in '70.

Al Consoli has also posted a very nice action shot elsewhere on on the web.

Attached Files:

3. weathrmn

weathrmn

Was John Hubbard AKA Johnny Boyd? If he was, I'll leave out the Reading part.

4. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

No. Johnny Hubbard wasn't the Indy driver, Johnny Boyd. Hubbard raced supermodifieds, occasional sprints and modifieds in the East. He was killed in a modified at Reading in September 1976.

5. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Rootie-
    Thanks again for the great Atlanta pics. Not exactly a fancy place; nothing like DuQuoin! But the cars looked great. Thanks also for the info about Ernie. Good driver, and the life of the party!

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Here's some more info on that 46 Atlanta race when Robson died. Kinda good read if nothing else.

Attached Files:

7. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hey fellas....

I'm looking for several photos someone posted on this thread that, since there are SOO many pages to this thing, I can't seem to come across!

Its of a hand made sprint car body, made from fenders, etc. Anyone who might know of it, or the fellow who posted it the first time, if you could either post it again or just PM the photos to me that would be swell! Thanks guys!

8. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

btt.... for the cause...

9. Do you mean the hood or the tail? I have some of a hood on an old supermodified.

10. Race Artist

Race Artist

I believe what you have there isn't a TQ, 1/2, or 1/4 midget. I would say it is a Micro Midget. There were tracks around the country that ran these type cars in the fifties and sixties mostly. They ran everything from Wisconsin industrial motors to Cushman scooter engines to various outboard boat motors and small motorcycle engines. When we raced go-karts in 1960 at the Boynton Beach Speedway, Florida the top class was Micro Midgets, cars just like this. Some were home built and some were pro-built cars. The cars were larger than 1/2 and 1/4 midgets but smaller and less sophisticated than 3/4(TQ) midgets.
    Joel
    www.JFNStudios.net

11. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Tail,...

I had seen photos,... (who knows maybe I'm mistaken that it was in this particular thread?) of a sprint car with what lookied like several sections which made up a tail.

12. I've heard of late 30's rear fenders welded together made a nice tail section. Just have to find the right profile.

Many tanks I've seen made from aluminum are actually several pieces welded together.

13. This came through e-bah last year, still wish I got it! Broke then, broker now!

[​IMG]

14. kenny g

kenny g

Unclescooby,That looks like a micro midget.
    We ran a split show with micro's 100 cc bike's
    and T Q's indoors in Cleveland in 1960 Ithink it wa12 races.
    In 62 it was T Q 's only.It was on the west side. in jan and
    feb,my memory is not to good now but around that time.
    It was my first intro to American raceing,with a crosly
    T Q

15. That's one flashy lookin' terlit there:D!

[​IMG]

16. Does kinda look like a terlit dudn't it?

17. Not very cofortable looking, though...

18. "comfortable"- yes, the school teacher can spell (just not on weekends, apparently)

19. I won't tell.

I guess Lowes or home depot is out of terlit seats that fit these huh?

20. kenny g

kenny g

From the cost ,it must be a military spec terlit seat.

21. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

22. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Do any of you remember Art Bisch? I think he was from Phoenix; drove the #81 Central Excavating Spl. at Langhorne the only time i seen him race.
    He is just one more of so many drivers and cars ive never had the chance to see.
    Does anyone have a list of all or most of the dirt miles which have run at some time in the past?
    Rootie, there was one more really rough dirt mile down south; i raced one time at the North Carolina State Fair at Raleigh. What a high risk place! Deep lake on the inside of turns 3 and 4.
    If i had a lot of money, i would pay almost any amount for more pics of these tracks and the cars that ran on them!

23. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Spike, The book "Damn few died in bed" talks a lot abiout Art Bisch...Check it out.-Tom Bliss

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Spike, here's the best site for tracks that AAA/USAC Champ cars ran on:
    http://www.champcarstats.com/

The problem with finding pics from places like Detroit, Denver and such, is that they only ran a relitively few races. I'm sure there's some out there but a lot just haven't surfaced.

Here's a pic of Bisch in a midget, I probably have some more, I'll see what I can find.

Attached Files:

• ab.jpg
      ab.jpg
      File size:
      20.3 KB
      Views:
  25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Lakewood in Atlanta had a (well deserved) reputation as a rough and dangerous joint in the imidiate post war years.
    While these 2 pics look pretty gruesome, in reality, they have a good outcome.
    The first pic shows one Verdun Morelock in the aftermath of his one and only attempt at the "bigtime" AAA circuit 3/46. Amazingly, moments after this picture was taken, he crawled out, got up, dusted himself off and walked back to the pits, with nothing more than a injured hand. This photo and story was picked up by the wire services and was published in many newspapers across the country.
    The second pic was taken at a unsanctioned race in 1950. After turning over during a heat race, a uninjured Lee Wallard was able to make repairs, win the consi. and finish the 20 lap feature.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  26. racer5c

racer5c

His son Art Bisch jr. is still living in Vegas

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

28. Spike, get your hands on Dick Wallen's 50's & 60's books. Lots of details, pics & stats of every race. You will be busy for days or maybe weeks. Every race, every track & every car as to #, driver, sponsor, owner, type engine & chassis, start & finish position, $ won. There is also info on Tracks, Promoters & Car Owners. ml9.

29. Corngrower, how are things in the midwest?? Just wondering, las Nov. you posted a pic of a black #1 sprinter with a tail similar to the Malloy. Did you friend ever find any info on the car ?? ml9.