Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's Talk Cyclecars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigcheese327, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Zerk

Zerk

If it's this much fun to look at pictures of it, I can't imagine how much fun it is to drive that thing. Must be exhilarating to drive something so light at road speeds. Beautiful job constructing that cyclecar/aero engine special.

2. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I forgot about this thread. Love these things...

dqppdq likes this.
  4. Hey Metalshapes - that's my trike there. Does 90mph and returns 50 to 60 mpg on a regular basis. I have driven it all over Europe - it's a stable easy drive. Has a 2CV engine but others have fitted Moto Guzzi engines.

[​IMG]

5. This is a cyclekart that I have been working on for a couple of years. Just to many other projects ahead of this one.

[​IMG]

6. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Cycle cars are sweet!...I've got an idea though....

3 Wheeled V8 Modified...Make it look like a modified roadster, 2 wheels in front with your engine...and 1 nice fat one in back...

My only problem is how do you set up the rear? any ideas? I've had this idea along with many others floatin' around in my head for a while.

I thought you could take the back and set it up on some type of swing arm for suspension... I just don't know how you could get the rear wheel to drive...If I built I would either use a 394...or a Straight 8 Buick...The trans is kind of up in the air.

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

BSA has a nice 3 wheel car and I have seen Knuckles in Morgans ,,neat stuff

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are being built in Seattle. Not inexpensive but they sure are interesting.

http://www.cycle-car.com/index.htm

They catch the spirit of the Morgan three wheelers with an HD flavor.

9. kookee

kookee

Why not use a REAL v-twin that is set up for this perfectly? A Moto Guzzi is set up correctly for intake/exhaust and transmission. It is even a shaft drive so that you can forego the chain. There is a gent in Germany that also has a setup so that you can put a small supercharger on it. I know that there is a company making 3-wheeled cars using them and are actually registered to produce production vehicles with registered VIN's in the UK.

It crossed my mind, as I am restoring a 72 Eldorado I have owned since I was 13..

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If you search for motorcycle engined cars on the web, you will find a lot. Even some previous threads on the HAMB. Busa Smart cars are already out. Styer Puch Fiat 500s KILL in autocrosses (only seen them in Europe). I'd opt for a Busa in a single seat speedster, myself. Gary

11. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

Cyclecars could be cool. Here's a few I found.
    cf00_31901RoyalEnfield.jpg

cyclecar.jpg

half%20car.jpg

IM001591.JPG

IM001595.JPG

sidecar.jpg

Numriser0034-2.jpg

brayton engine guy likes this.
  12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

Dang those are cool.

-Dave

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i thought so too..wouldnt mind having one to tool around in the city with..very true to the traditional build of these types of fun rides in my opinion..
    I have owned one of their sidecars for my harley when my daughter was a little girl..it was very well built and it held its value..sold it to a guy in Mass. for about 1800 bucks less than what I paid for it, and that was his offer..he knew how they were built, and mine had very few miles on it and was taken very good care of..

although..I see the price for the ACE (their name for it) is around 48 :eek:thousand:eek::eek:a bit steep..i think i could probably get 2 nice Model A's for that kinda change eh?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  14. jc62

jc62

15. I'm surprised that nobody found the Pembletons yet:

http://www.pembleton.co.uk/

Kit car, the first one designed AND built in 4 weeks by Phil Gregory, who's an engineer and a top motorbike designer/racer in the UK. He and his spouse were going on holiday to Ireland and his spouse happened to notice that 3-wheelers travel free on the ferry. So she said why don't you do us up one, and he did exactly that--in 4 weeks!

16. Very cool post!!! Thankyou

17. ehdubya

ehdubya

Some was asking about GN, I found these in an amazing collection on flickr. I only got to the fourth page and he deleted the lot while I was looking :eek: I had to triple check.

Attached Files:

brayton engine guy likes this.
  18. That strange looking Morgan in the third photo over is very interesting. I wish I could track down technical details on the Morgan 3-wheeler frames. I know they were made of lugged tubing, and it must have been just gaspipe because that's what the state of the art was. But how did he get gaspipe to take the kinds of strain his cyclecars routinely endured?

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the loads shouldn't be that great (compared to a traditional 4 wheel) as the wieght is distinctly on the centerline (or slightly infront of) the front wheels and the rear end should both tilt and slide due and slide. Also there is a very limited amount of tire patch to grab the ground anyways.

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A turbo'd 'busa mill in a mini would fun.

21. Do you really think that was the weight distribution? I can't see how the engine and cooling system could have outweighed an adult male driver and the drive train. Could you explain?

22. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

on my to do list, I have a Bussa motor waiting for me to build a reverse trike, or cycle car around, after a few other projects

23. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, it is late at night but that photo makes the car look as if it is actually racing up the hill!:eek:

25. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

How about a belly tank version of a car like the old Cooper formula 3. One of those with a 500cc Norton Manx motor was hard to beat on a short road course with anything. A Busa in a belly tank. Yeh!

26. ehdubya

ehdubya

You might want to leave the 'busa outside. banjeaux those chains look real scary.

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

blimey, big honking brass bullox on that one!!

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, looking back in history (pictures and not using my 240 lb ass as reference) most of those drivers couldn't have weighed more than 150 pounds. The driver's ass is in front of the rear wheel and behind the center line of the car. The engine (which weighs about 125 pounds for arguements sake) is mounted just in front of the centerline of the front axle. Gas, water and misc is located just behind the engine and above the drivers feet: all in front of the centerline of the car. All the suspension components, steering are in the front of the car. There is only a swing arm and shocks in the back. I would hazard a guess and say the weight distribution is in the range of 55/45 f/r. and looking at most pictures of Mog's at speed, those front ends push pretty hard.

29. mjxlange

mjxlange
    from SW Florida

30. old bone

old bone
    from maine

just watched nacho libre with jack black the other night ..he had a great homemade rig...trying to find pics