Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

I have more somewhere........Car was sold a few years back.-Tom

Attached Files:

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

This is a Stapp spring front setup, it's on a 100" car but probably the same as his sprint.

Attached Files:

3. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Dad's nance/Maxwell car is like that, and it's done right! It's in Milford.. (close to ya!) you can go check it out any time.

Attached Files:

• ghuy.jpg
      ghuy.jpg
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
  4. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

A few more of the Seymour ex-Weinberger car.

1: Dave Lundy, Terre Haute 11 Sep 66
    2: Arnie Knepper, New Bremen 29 Jun 69
    3: Chuck Booth, Reading 26 Apr 69

Attached Files:

5. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Here are a few pix of my Fike Plumbing replica, undressed, showing space frame, spring front and parallel rear torsion bars

Attached Files:

6. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Mac Miller...Heard rumors that Jud liked to run reverse stagger on the miles, any truth to that ?

7. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I believe that the #16 Dunseth car was the basis for the currently "restored"
    Cheesman car.

8. Old Bill. Thanks again for the addit. pics. You made Xmas come early. Are you aware of the car sold @ Barrett-Jackson Auction Jan. of 2008 that was called the "Weinberger Homes Spl" ??? I don't know if Barr/Jack still has pics on site or not. The pics I saw in Vintage Mtrsprt didn't quite match but I have no definite info one way or the other. It is just an opinion. Just wondering. Many thanks, ml9.

9. Mr. Miller, thanks for the info re Cheeseman/Dunseth cars. Also, I found your take on the battle of restored, replica's, etc. very interesting. ml9.

10. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

mlight9: Weinberger campaigned a champ dirt car built by Blum in 1964-1969 (and possibly later). Perhaps this was the car in the auction.

11. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Driver Jud Larson or car owner Jud Phillips???;)...... I don't know of Larson or any drivers running reverse stagger but car owner Phillips would try anything, so, who knows??:eek:

I have seen a number of drivers run reverse(right rear) weight but that is different from reverse stagger. Right rear weight is okay as long as you are standing on the gas, but if you back off, you are looking for trouble.

12. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Mac Miller-
    A number of years ago a friend of mine, Ronnie Dunstan, ran reverse stagger on his Champ Car. Seemed to work ok especially early in the race.

13. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Thanks for the spring front pics, that is what I was looking for.

I will have to take a trip out to study the Blue Nance/Maxwell in detail one of these days. I have always liked the nose on that car, it has shows lots of "personality".

14. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

I would have had to see some documentation on that car that sold as the Weinberger car, I hope it had some with it. It was supposed to be the Johnny White built car, but it looked no way near.

15. Racer12

Racer12

Stapp has one of these cars in or around Indy. It was at Dynamite race cars off of 10th and country club. But Dynamite and Steve have moved to a new location on 136 in Brownsburg. If you want some more info let me know and maybe I can help get you in contact with Steve himself.

Bob

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Larry Dickson in the Weinberger champ car Sacto 1968.

Attached Files:

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

'brian26' posted this pic of a bare G. King, spring front, frame a while back.

Attached Files:

18. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Man, Rootie and Brian26, I'd really like to see more photos like this. 'Couldn't help but notice the awfully shallow frame rails and it also looks like the frame is unfinished? What about the hoop in the middle of the chassis to mount the steering box and the dash? It's also amazing how this Grant King spring front car resembles an old Kurtis.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

'brian26' posted that pic on pg. 206 of this thread, says it was the last GK frame and was still on the jig when it was auctioned off. I'm sure he will chime in with more info.

20. This frame was on the stands at Grant Kings shop the day he died. It's not a space frame springer, but more like a cross between a spaceframe and monorail springer. Grant was reproducing one of his designs from the '60s.

[​IMG]

21. This is another Nance space frame springer, well known in these parts, tha Shot Hampton 94. It was built around the time as that Nance you guys are talking about.

[​IMG]

22. Bones Breiton of El Paso had a big hand in building this car, and many others at Nance in the 70's, sorry I don't have a front end shot.

[​IMG]

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

"Back in the day" we use to refer to that design as a 'low rail' frame, King, Rodger Beck among others seemed partial to it. I'm sure it made working on the motor a lot easier.

Attached Files:

24. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Old Bill,
    The Weinberger Homes,Blum car is currently owned by the Mataka bros. in N.J. The car is all apart, but is all there including the Offy engine. I have not heard of it being sold.

25. Old Bill, No, the Barrett-Jackson info says it is a sprint car driven by J. White & G. Johncock. It also says that Johnny's son, Jimmy, gave the purchaser his dad's knock-off hammer. If you go to Barr/Jack, go to 2008 auction @ Scottsdale held Jan.12-20. Lot # is 933.1. The info & pics will be shown. ml9.

26. cg5

cg5

A shot of the Weinberger car with Gordon Wooley.

Curt Grogan

Attached Files:

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

J. White in the Weinberger car W/G 1964.

Attached Files:

28. jmh

jmh

I believe that is the car that ended Dave Lundys career. He had a bad flip and was blinded in is left eye. John

29. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Ken Felker photos from Williams Grove. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]