Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]
    Slater v8 and Hop Harrington M2
    [​IMG]
    Vavari
    [​IMG]
    Vee and Dubois
    [​IMG]
    Vern Dockey
    [​IMG]
    Vic Parisi

2. boldventure

boldventure

I just followed a link...from somewhere...saw the pic and thought hmmmmm......I'll see if I can find more info...looked like dirt to me.

3. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Here is a cool dirt modified; model a coupe, buick nailhead tri-power, hand clutch, and a handful to drive!!!! I was lucky enough to be able to work on it...get 'er runnin and of course TEST DRIVE!!! Man this thing was wild on my grassy side yard!!!

Attached Files:

4. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Hey guys........Check out my ebay auction. 160318363442

Thanks for looking! -Tom

Attached Files:

5. Where ya been Dr. John??? Miss seeing your daily photos.
    [​IMG]
    Vic Pairisi
    [​IMG]
    Vince Conrad
    [​IMG]
    Famous Vinnie Green accident
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That is it of the accident, I know many of you know the story behind this, care to share?

7. I'd figure some the guys from around my area might have a little fun, name the drivers! hahaha Most of them are pretty easy!:O) I just like to see crowd participation!

8. We think this thing ran on dirt up in Pennsylvania, but I have no clue as to whom it was. Seems like it was in the '50s.

[​IMG]

9. How was the turning ratio on the dirt!! The front wheels don't look like they give you much to work with sliding in and out of the turns.

10. Modifieds and Martinsville go hand and hand
    from Jayski:
    [SIZE=-1]Sad News - H. Lewis Compton: H. Lewis Compton, 80, who was known as the “Mouth of the South” for announcing every race at Martinsville Speedway for 44 years, died Friday at Memorial Hospital in Martinsville. Since 1962 he had been known as “The Mouth of the South,” a moniker bestowed upon him by Elmo Langley, one of NASCAR’s early drivers, car owner and longtime pace car driver. Compton announced every race at Martinsville Speedway from 1955 until 1999, worked in radio for 52 years until he retired from WHEE Radio and was a licensed auctioneer for 36 years. Surviving are his wife of 60 years, Lois Newman Compton of the home; two sons, John David Compton and Richard Dean Compton, both of Martinsville; five sisters, Doris Faye Clifton of Ridgeway, Carol Martin of Collinsville, Marie Hatchett of Penhook, Linda Hodges of Arkansas and Sheryl Epperly of Mechanicsville; one brother, Larry W. Compton of Smith Mountain Lake; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. The funeral will be at 2 p.m. Monday at Collins-McKee-Stone, Martinsville Chapel, with the Rev. David Adkins officiating. Burial will be in the Oakwood Cemetery. Memorials may be made to the Starling Avenue Baptist Church, 932 Starling Ave., Martinsville, Va. 24112.(see story at the Martinsville Bulletin)(3-1-2009)[/SIZE]

11. [​IMG]
    Bary Tripp
    [​IMG]
    Bill Mordenti
    [​IMG]
    Bill Stevens and Jay Hawke
    [​IMG]
    Billy D
    [​IMG]
    Bobby Allen

12. [​IMG]
    Bob Merz
    [​IMG]
    Budd Olsen
    [​IMG]
    Buddy Rouleau
    [​IMG]
    Charlie Jarzombek
    [​IMG]
    Clarke Fox

13. [​IMG]
    Del George
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dorney Park
    [​IMG]
    Dorney Park
    [​IMG]
    Ed Yarrington at Langhorne

14. [​IMG]
    Frankie Grever at Dorney
    [​IMG]
    Gary Palmer
    [​IMG]
    Gil Hearne at Bridgeport
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jarzombek at Trenton

15. Dr. John

Dr. John

[​IMG]

1966: Bill Rafter (Chevelle Modified) at Lancaster (NY) Speedway. Gordon Reinig photo, Bill Bitterman collection.

16. Dr. John

Dr. John

[​IMG]

Bill Bitterman, 1976. He won his first Modified feature in this car, at Lancaster (NY) Speedway. Bill Bitterman collection.

17. Dr. John

Dr. John

[​IMG]

SAD NEWS: This is "old news," but I just learned that Western N.Y. car owner Mel Aube died back in November, 2008 (cancer). He owned the orange No. 3 coupe driven by Darrel Claus at Lancaster in '72; the orange No. 3 Gremlin (pictured here) driven by Thort Haag in '73; and the white No. 3 Gremlin at Spencer and Lancaster Speedways in 1974. May he rest in peace.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  18. Dr. John

Dr. John

[​IMG]

Linus ("Liney") Faery at Lancaster (NY) Speedway, 1975. Photographer unknown, Ron McDonald Jr. collection.

19. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

John......I remember that car! Didn't it used to say Able auto body on the rear quarter? Keep up the great work! -Tom Bliss

20. Yeah Dr. John is back! I bet you must have been dead tired but had a ball doing so in the process in Las Vegas!
    [​IMG]
    Jeff Sparker
    [​IMG]
    Jerry Vitale
    [​IMG]
    Jim Horton
    [​IMG]
    Jim Horton Jr and Sr.
    [​IMG]
    Joe Gottlieb

21. [​IMG]
    Fire at Langhorne
    [​IMG]
    Langhorne start
    [​IMG]
    Larry Burtis
    [​IMG]
    Lee McBride
    [​IMG]
    Leigh Greene

22. [​IMG]
    Leon Manchester
    [​IMG]
    Mario Andretti
    [​IMG]
    Merv Treichler
    [​IMG]
    Nazareth at night
    [​IMG]

23. [​IMG]
    Pat Watson
    [​IMG]
    Peppy Fernandez
    [​IMG]
    Pete Frazee
    [​IMG]
    Wall Stadium and pro soccer on the message board!?! 56 is Jamie Tomaino
    [​IMG]
    Rags Carter

24. Brian C

Brian C

Looks like Port Royal Speedway. The flagstand is still in the infield and the big cement stage is still there too. The old covered grandstand is gone now :( But the new grandstand is very nice!

25. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

Its the Reading Fairgrounds

26. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

The Reading Fairgrounds, Home of Champions! The 3 minute clock is visable above the stage. The Bobby Allen car was biult by Bobby hisself,sold to Bill Brian , with Gary Gollub driving. The last I have knowledge of that car, Gary was the owner/driver.Great memories.

27. Great shot of Mario and Aldo, Pete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.