Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "DAMN NASTY" garage find, drag race Corvette, Des Plaines or Antioch Illinois.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Feb 28, 2009.

1. my friend answered an ad that read "1960 Corvette, not original" and came home with a white 1960 Corvette, that had been stored in various garages, buildings for the past 30 or 40 years.

This is the kind of story that, most of the HAMBers should enjoy. To complete the story, we will greatly appreciate any related pics, literature, articles, tech info, people, places or things that HAMBdom can furnish.

So, how does the "DAMN NASTY" fit in the story? I know some of you are getting the picture. The time frame and years, in the story, may or may not be accurate, our current info is fourth hand and 40 years old. So, here's the current story, as told by the seller to current owner.

The car was drag raced by some one from Des Plaines, Illinois during the early or mid 1960's. The car had exterior race lettering, decals, pin stripeing etc. Hole in the hood for carbs or air cleaners. Mildly flared and radiused rear wheel wells. Front bumper removed and the grille openings were shortened.

In the mid or late 1960's, an unkown person bought the car without engine or trans. That person did little or nothing to the car for 20 years.

In the early to mid 1990's, the car was sold. Suppposedly, to a person in Antioch, Illinois. That person installed engine, trans, exhaust, wheels, tires and an original hood. At this point, the car was street driveable and may have appeared at some car events. Prior to being street driveable, all of the exterior drag race related graphics were buffed off or spray canned over with white paint and any decals or logos had been removed. I know, I know "what the hell"?

Today, three of us were rubbing our hands over the old, crusty paint, peering thru magnifying glasses, gently rubbing off paint, poking and picking over and under the car like it was an archeological find in the Egyptian pyramids. For us it was and is. You know what I mean.

What did we find? you ask. I know, tell the story, will ya?

After some gentle rubbing and using various light sources we found that, on both sides above the body cove, under a few layers of white paint and covering the door and quarter panel is the name "DAMN NASTY". On the deck lid, it says "Kasco Racing Team, Des Plaines, Illinois". On the lower portion of the right quarter panel, it says "Chevrolet, Village Vette Service". On the right rear corner of the hardtop is /G, indicating that, the car ran in the "gas coupe and sedan class". We thought, it would have run in " /SP" (sports car) or " /MSP" (modified sports car). So far, that's all we found.

The engine is a early 1970's 350 sbc, T-10 4 speed and 1960 Corvette rear axle. New battery, fresh gas, fix the leaky fuel line and it runs, shifts and brakes. It's alive and well.

The interior and carpeting are original. The seats are dry, brittle, cracked, torn, split etc. The factory tach indicates that the engine may have been the 270hp, 283ci. Holes in the dash look to be for the typical dash mounted race tach. Snaps on the dash and around the driver/passenger seat area are typical of snaps for a tonneau cover. Holes behind the seats and in the passenger foot/floor area indicate that a bolt in/out single hoop roll bar with an angled vertical brace was used for drag racing.

Plans are a good cleanup, duplicate the original drag race exterior graphics, pin stripeing and decals, install similar engine and induction system and wheels and tires (as originally raced). If, all works well, nostalgia drag racing here it comes.

As the story grows, on this end, I will update this thread.

Any one with info etc., post to this thread or PM me.

The engine, induction system, wheels and tires are the things that, require the correct info, from when it was raced. "What if you ran this" or "maybe it ran this or that" are not going to help. Any good, solid verifiable info will definitely help the car return to its original "as raced" condition.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Great find and a great story!

Can you post a picture of the "Damn Nasty" lettering and the door lettering. The style and way it was lettered may give away as to who done the work. If it can be identified, we can then contact the artist and maybe get a backstory on the car.

Good luck with the project!

Joel

3. Cool story Curt!

Max

4. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

Thats so sweet!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

RAD... We need more pictures.

6. rick finch

rick finch

Wow!.................. another one saved from oblivion, keep "digging" I'm sure there will be more to this story! Thanks for sharing.:cool:

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Definitely more pictures. How about the suspension? stock or straight axle? I would think that a competitive gas class car would have a straight axle as the stock stuff was heavy and didn't aid in traction.

Frank

8. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

That is so damned cool!! What a great story behind it. Good luck on finding out more history and keep us posted

9. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Yes, more pictures please! I have dreams of finding a '58-60 Corvette just like that!

10. WOW cool find i love cut up vettes. Hope to see it sometime this summer in the area

11. Muttley

Muttley

I have tons or original Water-Slide decals, let me know if I can help with anything.

12. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

I sent this thread to a friend from that area that was into drag racing around that time. I hope he can help. More pics of the car couldn't hurt too.

13. No Plan

No Plan

What a GREAT find!!! I LOVE these cars!!! IMHO '60 and earlier are by far the best of the solid axles; before they were trying to get what looks like peaked sting ray rear quarters on a car that is all perfectly rounded! Good luck with your search and keep us early Corvette lovers posted. (Pics of mine in my album.)

14. AtomicDrew

AtomicDrew
    from Zompton Il

I know of a few old timers that ran around the area in the 60's and 70's. I will do some digging and see if I can find any pics of this. It surely ran at Union Grove so I will look through a few albums and see what I can see. Cool find for sure. What are your plans? Street car or return it to it's original state with maybe a straight axle?
    -Drew

15. Concrete B

Concrete B

Is there a name over the door??? Just curious. Good luck on your quest. If theres info on it, someone on the HAMB can get it.

16. this is it, for now. Batteries went dead, but we'll be back for more.

Attached Files:

17. the "DAMN NASTY" lettering is barely visible under bright light and does not show up in a photo, at all. No visible name lettering on the door.

If, photos show the car with a straight front axle that's the what it will get.

It has the stock Corvette style rear and front suspension and steering.

The choice is not to have a "trend" car or "follow the crowd" build. All of us have been involved with drag racing in some manner, over the past 50 years, and we are aware of why the straight front axle became popular and why it disappeared, for good reason.

From all appearances, the car wasn't drag raced hard or for many seasons. It may have been a street/strip warrior.

No rear "traction masters", lower links or anti spring wind up control devices. The rear springs have very pronounced reverse arching, they got wound up! Front fender wells have not been cut away for fender well headers. Non factory bolt holes in the rear spare tire well may have been for bolt in weight.

A unique part of this car is that hasn't been hacked up, jacked up or generally screwed up to the point of being dangerous or past the point of being saved.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and especially, to those that are pushing the info search to any and all other areas.

18. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Keep up the research... Show pictures when you get down to the original lettering.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

19. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Man, I just love 53-62 First Gen Corvette drag cars. Glass bodies, lots of natural engine setback and large rear radius'ed quarter all from the factory! The ultimate racecars. Except of you're tall, of course.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That thing is cooler than shit.

21. As yours I bought my 60 Vette from a 2nd cousin i'd never met in 1976. Bought it as an ex race car with 20,000 miles as a basket case. cracked front fenders and all. Taken off the road in 1968 from what I could find out. Still has the rear axle webbing in place so the rear end has never been removed. New interior & all stainless still in wrappers.

I'm hoping some day to put a 4" dropped axle in it.

Good luck & hope you keep us informed.

Movin/on

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  22. small update.

Verified info places the car in Antioch, Illinois on North 4th Avenue, early 2004.

The trail is still warm but pictures would really help.

Anymore buffing, to expose the lettering, and we will lose what is barely visible, now. What remains will be left for the signpainter to use as a guide for the relettering.

23. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Rad story. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the straight axle.

24. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

might have ran at oswego il, hers something that might help, march 22 at the will county fairgrounds in peotone il is a racing show, books-pictures and die cast old and new( i find all my pre-70 stock car pictures there) just a thought.

25. JAWS

JAWS

Man what a cool find. I love a good story! More please...

26. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

What a great find ! You just might have a great bit of history under all the paint . I hope you will get the information needed to restore her into the car she was many moons ago ! Sounds like it was a good race car back in the day with all the lettering you have found so far .
    Keep the pictures coming with what you find under the paint !

27. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i tried an internet search under the line "DAMN NASTY". as the results showed up so did my wife. whoops. good thing i can show this thread......

looks like you got a little piece of history there. have you tried the yellow pages for that area under KASCO that was lettered on the back? Maybe it was someones last name....

28. I wish I could give better info than this.
    While attending the swap meet at Jacobs Chevrolet in Joliet this year there was a vendor that was collecting and selling old drag racing memorabilia and movies which he was replicating and selling . He had a lot of 8mm film on cd and dvd much from the Chicago area. Maybe someone here can remember who he is.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  29. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

nice i like the wheel wells