Register now to get rid of these ads!

Little Red Wagon up for grabs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by <FANG>, Feb 27, 2009.

1. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

2. If this guy bought the wagon at a "collector car auction" in Scottsdale he wouldn't be listing on the site what he was told by the auctioner, he'd have paperwork to back up the provenance. Looks like a clone/copy being passed off on ebay to me, I'd be very careful. The Scottsdale auctions sell mostly top cars (some everyday drivers without making any claims) and, since they have so many to choose from, they insist on the proper documentation to back-up the sale, they don't take a consigners word for the cars history.

3. mj40's

mj40's

Maverick retired in 2003, and the Little Red Wagon retired with him. This was actually the third or fourth wagon; the first and second had been wrecked in the 1960s, and the two wrecks were assembled into one new truck which was itself wrecked in 1975. A third new wagon was purchased in the 1970s, to be retired in 2003 after about thirty years of demonstrations. Yet another truck was a 1983 Ram used for tractor pulls; and still another was built just for Don Garlits&#8217; museum. The third new wagon (the one that was used through the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s) and the museum truck have both been purchased by a collector for museum display.

4. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

As I understand, there were a number of real "Lil Red Wagons" built by Bill Golden. Garlits has one of them in his museum.
    I'm no expert, but this one doesn't look authentic.

5. jonnycola

jonnycola

6. weldtoride

weldtoride

I was at the Chicago WOW last month and there was a Little Red Wagon clone. I think it might have been part of Volo Auto Museum's area. But not really a true clone as I looked under it and the engine in the back was a dummy, it had an engine and trans in the stock location as well. I looked hard at the lettering, there was a small disclaimer on that particular clone that it was not the real deal.
    From the looks of the ebay Red Wagon underbody photos , it looks like it really is set up as a wheelstander. But then the guy's add says there were 7 built, but I looked and he doesn't say this is number so and so. I thought that odd. if its only one of 7, which one?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  7. weldtoride

weldtoride

Lets suppose a guy is at one of the Braggist Jackson auctions, and the guy gets a bit loaded and then goaded into buying a car for big $$, and then after he gets it home he decides to verify its provenance, and lo and behold, what he has is not what he thought he bought. What would he do next? Buyer beware.

8. Oh yeah, the Weld wheels and Convo Pro's...just like back in the day.
    Why can't people just come right out and say "This is my attempt to build a Little Red Wagon Clone" ? The modern wheels, the modern shifter, lack of a WELDED in rollbar.
    This guy "Believes" a lot, and many things "appear" to be.
    It is not a bad looking truck, I just wish people would be more straight forward.

9. Don't forget about the shifter and gauges them ain't period correct!! clone

10. smells like a clone to me

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Little red wagon had a 426. not an early Hemi

12. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

A CLONE but Not even a good CLONE,

But I like the MOTOR

13. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

That pictures great!!!!!

14. I saw it run in 1967 in Wichita. First drag race I ever went too. I was 12 or 13.
    I remember it having holes drilled thru the back wheel well or some other place in the rear. I asked someone what they were for and they said to make it lighter. That stuck in my head all these years. The original didn't have the wheelie casters either. The tail gate worked as the wheelie bar and made tons of sparks as he went down the strip. I think the Grill was chrome too. it could be a updated one or clone. And it did have a 426. That looks like a 392.

15. monsterflake

monsterflake

"i have been asked by many eBayers if i would trade for there camaro or corvette or 426 hemi cuda nova hotrod and many others and the answer is NO i have no interest in trades these all sound like nice cars but i do not have the room if i did i would keep my cars i have now but thank you all for the offers."

thank you for including so many unrelated keywords in your added-on bullshit story...

16. metalman

metalman

If you read his desription no where does he claim it's the real deal, matter of fact he point's out he doesn't know if it is or not. Been a long time since I've seen the real one (the 75 crash, our local drag strip) but I'm saying clone. The one I remember could not of been converted back to the street. Wonder why any car collector would only have it a very short time and be listing it with a reserve 1/3 of what he paid?

17. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Wheelie wheels instead of titanium blocks? JC

18. Bill Maverick Golden lives at Kensett Ark. He used to still have a bunch of trucks and wrecks in the backyard. dont know if he still has it anymore. OldWolf

19. The one at WOW Chicago was funny with the plastic hemi in the bed. This one sure as hell isnt the real deal, but at least it has a real(all be it incorrect) hemi in it.

20. thats fake! it looks way different. still (kinda) cool

21. 85-percent

85-percent

FIRST QUESTION in the listing is from this guy: "Sooooo "Hollywood" George Tuers here. Who is selling the Kings rod??? I am retired from Wheelstanding but am curious."

Name rings a bell. I think he was a wheelstander back in the 'golden days'? Anybody know George out there in hambsville?

thanks

-90% jimmy

22. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Yes, Hollywood George drove many Wheelstanders.

23. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

Not even a good clone.Pretty cheesy lookin'...booo! Giz'

24. Jersey Meathook

Jersey Meathook

25. rustnpz

rustnpz

It's a clone look at the gauges ,shifter, wheels ,blower, vintage 65 stuff don't look like that.

26. To call that a Clone is injustice to the word. noun- a person or thing that duplicates, imitates, or closely resembles another in appearance, function, performance, or style

At best it is a very poor attempt at a tribute!

27. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

metalman is right, he does not say it is real anywhere. Pretty sure that is your answer.

28. He states that he was told it has a Chrysler transmission. The REAL wagon had a Marine type "V" drive, and plexiglas on the floor of the cab...so the driver could see where he was going...

29. "THE" real wagon. Which one are you talking about?

First few had 426 Hemi's with chrysler automatics behind them.
    One of the first had a subframe similar to this one. Basically a removable subframe with the engine, tranny, and rear attached.

V-drives came later in the wheel stander era.
    The first one wasn't built as a wheel stander, but it sure ended up that way.

Search on here for little red wagon. There is a bunch of info and pics.

30. draginsteel

draginsteel

Might be a clone, but it sure be fun to pickup groceries in!