Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who drives their hot rod all year long?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murdercycles, Feb 5, 2009.

1. If there is no salt residue on the roads, I'll bring mine out for a spin. No way in hell would I drive mine in the snow around here! It only snows to the point where salt/sand trucks are out a couple of times a year, but the State also uses magnesium chloride on many of the bridges, which is very much like soaking your car in acid. Much worse than salt! So, that is where I am at.

Sunshine or even a good rain, no problem.

2. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

Pretty much everyone in TEXAS Last run was toy cruise at xmas already starting up again

3. S.F.

S.F.

Cool car....thats got a big block chevy in it????? well I guess thats why it made it to 150,000 miles. :)

4. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

everyday all year round.

5. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

not sure you can really call a stock motor falcon a "hot rod" But its my daily, and I don't have any other choice! Its what I have to drive! It has never left me stranded in the 18 months that I have been driving it daily. Biggest problem I had was a tire that de-pressurized once.

6. Yeah, that fluffy white stuff looks innocent enough but all the crap that they dump on the streets to destroy that snow will destroy your car also. When I got my 56' 20 years back it was clean underneath, but being my first car I drove it through a few winters when I didn't have a winter beater. Now I can't tell you how rotten it is in spots. Thank god that someone invented rat rods so I can strech it's life span out a bit longer.

Salt and Calcium chloride is nobodys friend, not only have I seen it make chrome rust over but I've seen it shrink and crack leather and paint!!!!

Why do you guys from texas quit driving during the winter months?

7. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

[​IMG]
    cruisin 100 miles or so in the rain to sac. beanie and a carnharts all you really need, right?

8. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Benny (aka SapienKustoms) with no wipers.
    Rain-X is all you need.

9. That rain ex is some miraculous stuff. Use it in the winter and snow flakes dont even touch the windshield.
    One guy I know waxes all of his glass and claims the same effect.

10. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

yeah i did mine once and he did his twice i think. my little old vacuum wipers gave up about half way there....they needed to be coaxed back down after goin up. but still drove it...hell still drivin it.

11. rougebeats

rougebeats

33 degrees on a mid january day in Michigan.....WHY NOT??

Attached Files:

12. thewrongshop

thewrongshop
    from NewJerZ

I do, just over 18K in 3 years. That's what it was built for , rain sleet or snow not some Pavement princess :D but a driver .

Attached Files:

13. Because, contrary to popular belief, Texas (and Oklahoma) are not all-sunny, all the time. We get wicked ice storms that paralyze the areas they hit! And, if you've never been in the Texas or Oklahoma Panhandles in the Winter, it snows there - and it snows a LOT! I'd much rather deal with a foot of snow than a half-inch of solid ice hanging on everything!

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Excuses. Cold isn't an excuse to abstain, it's a reason to adapt. I don't get people that don't have enough time in their life to take it to dress warmly enough that cold weather is an excuse for not getting out (to do anything). When I was a boy and it was too cold for the car to start, my dad would hitch a team to the wagon and we'd go that way. Coats, boots, mufflers and ear flaps, and heavy blankets. Try it sometime, it's an experience.

:DYesterday I opened the hood to check stuff, so that requires a "road test" today.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  15. Kevins89notch5.0

Kevins89notch5.0
    from Orlando

The weather is the MAIN reason I left IL for FL.

16. The Studebaker was my only car for 3 years (still have it) and when I got the tank I drove that nearly every day for a year .In this photo I've got my bike on the back ready to head to the beach for a ride along the coast . Of course that was when I was single . For some reason wives aren't into tanks . Who knew ?

Attached Files:

17. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

I do but this is what it's like every day in the so. cal. desert!
    [​IMG]

18. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Man thats a great pic. JustplainJ

19. I hated not being able to drive a hotrod in the winter here. Now, I drive something "interesting" all year round. Has a 350/350-12 bolt.

Attached Files:

20. Why do you guys from texas quit driving during the winter months?[/quote]
    We don't get much snow around Dallas, but we do get ice, and it sucks! Not a damn person down here can drive on ice (apparently even me since I wrecked my truck a few weeks ago on it:D).

21. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Looks like a hot rod from here! Cool truck!
    What's the 'white stuff" on the ground?
    We don't get that down here in Western Maryland.You guys must be "exclusive?"
    Keep that snow up there!

22. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

i put my 58 f100 together for a daily driver and it has been for the few weeks it has been on the road

23. I grew up in St. Loui - thats why I live in So Cal - I don't want my cars to sit in a garage, I buy them to drive 'em. Glad to see that a lot of guys aren't affraid to drive their cars in the weather.

24. noodle9000

noodle9000

Three of us took our roadsters out in December snow. Not bad if cover all skin, finding out that road salt really does taste salty wasn't the best part of the day.

25. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

When I first built my '48 Chevy pickup I used it as my only transportation for 2 years. It didn't matter how cold it was or how much snow was on the ground. The day we had a huge dump of snow was a blast! The snow was up to the bottoms of the doors, but the truck plowed through it like a trooper!
    Here's a couple of winter pics...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. I think snow is part of the recipe for pulling horns off billy goats.that made me chuckle :confused::D

27. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

i dont drive either when it snows, but i drive the truck pretty much daily other than that. the car gets driven once or twice a week, sometimes the truck doesnt get driven all week, sometimes the car doesnt get driven all week.

the truck gets cranky after driving the 55 all week though, the battery drains like crazy if not driven much