Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Most Beautiful Drive in America, what's your favorite?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 26, 2009.

1. - US 550 from Montrose to Durango. This includes the Million Dollar Highway, but takes it all the way to Montrose. Great drive, as several have stated.

- I-70 from the Cisco exit to Green River, Utah, is pretty damn spectacular! The view from the rest area at the eastbound portion, just west of the Moab exit, is truly an example of God's country. Breathtaking!

- The Talihina Drive, from Talihina, Oklahoma, to Mena, Arkansas is magnificent any time of the year, but especially when the fall colors are in full swing.

- Trail Ridge Road, which is the highest-elevation paved road in the US, is in Rocky Mountain National Park, and runs from Estes Park to Fraser, CO. You gotta do this one once in your life!

- Pike's Peak Highway. If you've ever driven that road, you will never forget it. "The Road to Nowhere", it just goes up the mountain, then you turn around and head back down, once you've experience 14,000 ft+ of elevation!

- US 1, along the stretch running from south of Miami to Key West, FL. If you hate bridges, this one isn't for you! What a fun drive it is!

- The Pacific Coast Highway. Almost any part of it is a must-drive! My favorite part is the stretch from Monterey, north to the Bay area.

I've driven in all 50 States, and these are my favorites!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

All of it!

This is a beautiful coutry.
    I've had the opportunity to see a large
    portion of this country by automobile
    and it's all great.

3. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I drove part of that stretch on the way to work today.

4. caceo

caceo

Highway 1 from Gualala on up to Mendicino/Fort Bragg.... but really, anywhere in a rod built by yourself has to be the hands down favorite......

5. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

washington state,cascades hiway 20 is a good ride,mountains,desert,neat ol towns

6. phat rat

phat rat

Docc that looks like that might be the hiking trail around Bell Rock. Is it? Lot's of great drives already mentioned. One kind of obscure one is in the U.P. of Mi., Brockway Mt Drive. U.S. 2 in the U.P. along the top of Lake Michigan is very nice also

7. J-KAT

J-KAT
    from Salinas,CA

hwy 1 thru big sur

8. Any road that has "I" as a prefix should not be on the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I agree with a previous poster, there is great shit EVERYWHERE in this country.

Megan, Denise, olbobsign, sorry the last ime through here had all that rain and flooding. Would have been fun to get off the beaten track for a bit. :(

9. RocketGirl

RocketGirl

Mile for Mile its hard to beat driving into Yosemite valley. I do enjoy driving HWY 1 daily to the shop though.

Attached Files:

10. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Second that....

Me thinks is jerome AZ that has the crazy old coot that resores all sorts of weird stuff and has a "Museum of mechanical things" (old cars, trucks, road equipment and a BIG ASS engine He'll fire up for ya for a buck or two....

I gave him $5 just to listen to it idle for a few minutes (from bottom of the pan to the top of the head was like 15 or 20 feet)

Yup I was right....been about 15 years scince I been through there i just google-d it and found it

http://www.azjerome.com/pages/jerome/scenic.htm

"Don't miss the Gold King Mine & Ghost Town. The location of the historic Gold King Mine was originally the site of Haynes, Arizona, which in 1890, was a small suburb of the larger town of Jerome, one mile north. When the Haynes Copper Company dug a 1200-foot-deep shaft in search of copper, they were disappointed at the absence of copper, but miners hit gold instead. The site is now a musuem where visitors can see continuous demonstrations of antique mining equipment and the operation of a turn-of-the-century sawmill daily. Other highlights include walks in an authentic mine shaft, animals to pet and feed, a circa 1901 blacksmith shop, and the world's largest gas engines. The Museum is open daily from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Facilities include rest rooms and a large parking area."

Itsa must see!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  11. padorey

padorey

When I worked, full time. The drive home on Friday night

12. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Agreed, this country has beauty in pretty much every corner, but take the back roads my friends. Been on a few of these routes people have mentioned myself, not the least of which is CA 1 up and down either way from San Francisco, Blue Ridge Parkway when I was going to Va Tech, FL keys when I lived there for a summer, etc.

But here is my advice, go where ever you want, but stay off the highways, take the odd route, slow down and enjoy and stop at little stores and eat real food and local restaurants and cafes and get to meet a few people. To me, that is the best way to travel and see the best stuff.

13. Gigantor

Gigantor

I love the open road and have driven all over this beautiful (sometimes in some places) country, but the most amazing experience I've had behind the wheel happened in an OT car, but serves as a goal for something I can't wait to experience behind the wheel of my hot rod.

I was headed home from visiting my grandmother in Alabama and had driven straight through the night. I can't remember the exact month, but the sun was coming up as I crossed into Tennessee. I was the only car on the road in these long expanses of gently rolling hills covered with what might have been cherry or apple blossoms. I remember green, green grass, and millions of white and pink petals floating in a light breeze. All the windows were rolled down and the air was warm and thick and there were one or two puffy white clouds in the sky. The sweet smell of flowers was all there was and my speedometer gradually eased down until I was cruising down the deserted freeway in a euphoric trance, arm out the window gliding through the petals. Silence. Solitude. It was an hour before I saw another car, but it was the most soul healing amazing time behind the wheel I have ever experienced and if I could relive that moment again, every day, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

14. Ive driven by car and by motorcycle through 43 states so far. Trying to decide the best drive is incredibly tough...but my sentimental favorite is in Northern Cal. Hwy 101 and off into the Avenue of the Giants. There is just something about driving through the redwood forest.

15. the hwy 101 drive from Eureka California on up to Astoria Oregon has some breathtaking curves and scenery and some wide-spot-in-the-road towns and burgs nearby off the beaten path that make it interesting. Some of the most beautiful coastline in the world is here....but then again I'm a partial Oregonian, too! heck this whole country (off any interstate) has a lot to offer...get out and see it.

16. mj40's

mj40's

The Most Beautiful Drive for me was when I was a teenager and the local cat house was 45 miles away. We called it our sex drive.

17. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

The list of cool places I've seen through the windshield of a hot rod is pretty long.

The terrain around Bonneville is stark and fascinating, and the whole trip up from Las Vegas is austere, rural, and beautiful.

Independence Pass, as well as the road through Rocky Mountain National Park have spectacular vistas. Actually, almost any road that goes uphill in that part of the country will get you to a view you won't forget.

You know, this is a fool's errand. The country is full of amazing places to drive.....

18. hot rod newt

hot rod newt

The view from the top of CA Hwy 46 between Paso Robles and Cambria in the morning is incredible. The sunrise behind you and a clear view from Morro Rock to Piedra Blancas and the Pacific Ocean in between. But, thats only on the way to work.:rolleyes: I also have to drive up Hwy 1 toward Big Sur at least once a week. Had to go twice this week, gotta keep the equipment running.:D:D

19. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

North on 191 out of Jackson Hole thru the Grand Tetons into Yellowstone.
    Zion NP, most all of Utah's scenic byways, Northern AZ Glen Canyon/North Rim area, and Aspen Colorado.

20. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

I'll second that. There isnt a more beautiful place in the world....

21. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

i like the pacific coast run from bay area through big sur down to santa cruz. stuck out in east bay area working right now Benicia california.

leaving tommorrow 80 east to cleveland ohio, got tire chains for mountains, stopping salt lake city to see salt flats then home again.

driving a gear bound ford f-350 dually flatbed 2,450 miles yikes

22. Joe King

Joe King

Death Valley has a great road in from Ridge Crest

23. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Freaking cool Steve, it is some of the simple things that we do for people that keep them smilling long after the experience. He looks like a kid at christmas.

US 1 in a hot rod is tops. I just drove from oxnard to la last Sunday night in my car. Good times.

24. ditto

25. That was SUCH a nice thing for you to do. GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS.

26. I've lived right in Yellowstone Park (In Mammoth Hot Springs) so I know the Cooke City run real well, I've also done the Going to the Sun outside of Glacier. I've driven the Blue Ridge Parkway, Multnomah Falls off I-84 on the Columbia River Gorge, but one of my favorites is right down the road from me, the Avenue of the Giants, going through the Redwood trees....

27. rougebeats

rougebeats

The ride home with my first project car :)

28. Man, I can paint that picture in my mind too well! I've had euphoric moments like that while driving, too!

29. I'm living it right now at the desk just reading this!! Sounds like HotRod Heaven

30. Thorkle Rod

Thorkle Rod

I've been to every state except Alaska which, I think would have some great views. Also have been to several courtries but the best is:

Highway 1 from Malibu to Portland you see everything you would want.

I used to live in Oxnard and commutted to Culver City and El Segundo for 15 years. It's a 60 mile drive one way, right next to the beach and the Santa Monica Mountains on the other side and through Malibu. I think the most photgraphed road is, and I see it in almost all car comercials, is highway 1 known as PCH between Point Mugu Rock and Leo Carillo Beach. Saw a guy in a 260Z drive into the Ocean one day. Also, whales in April and November right off the coast.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009