Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Roy,
    Here are some pictures of that one I was telling you about...
    Is this a TQ Midget?

Attached Files:

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks to be a 1/4 or 1/2 midget.

3. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

The more info the better. All of this "stuff" is going to be lost if we don't get it documented. While this site may not be "official" it sure contains a lot of documented history. Amazing stuff!

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

5. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Are you referring to the 14.00 x 16 that Speedway is selling? If so I am looking for 11.00 or 12.00 x 16's.

6. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

7. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Homebuilt Indy winner.
    While Geo. Salih was, by no means, a Indy newb this car was built (aside from a trip to Quinn Epperly for the body) in his home garage on his own time and mainly on his own dime. Being shop foreman at Meyer Drake didn't hurt and his boss loaned him a Offy, on the condition, that if it didn't win it was to be returned. Halibrand put up the drivetrain on the condition that it was to be paid for out of whatever winnings he made.
    When Sandy Belond saw the car at Epperlys shop, he recognized the advertising potential of such a radical car and kicked in $6500 to complete the project. It arrived at Indy with a for sale sign and a $18,000 price tag, but no takers.
    Of course, the rest is history, with Salihs old friend Sam Hanks driving, it pretty much dominated the 57 race and revolutionized Indy car design once again, until the R/E revolution.

Attached Files:

9. draginsteel

draginsteel

Does anyone remember a Sprint Car Garage-Builder on Us Hwy 30 in Merrilville, Indiana, back in the 60's maybe into the early 70's. He had a huge sign painted on the side of the building. I've been trying to remember the name for years.

10. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

You mean Johnny Pawl ?

11. gninc

gninc

12. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

This maybe a little off topic but if anyone knows any shops that are hiring that restore old race cars id be interested. I have been the tool making and machine building trade for over 30 years. I will admit i dont know squat about cnc machining but i can make most anything like they used to do it years ago with a lathe and a mill and what have you . Ive wrenched on latemodels sprints and modifieds and i know how they work . Ive aso build a bunch of hot rods so im no slouch at turning wrenches,. Im open for relocation also.. I just need to get the word out as im currently unemployed and sure could use a job. Im no youngster at 57 but im not dead either ..pm me if you have any connections
    Dave

13. jimg12

jimg12

Blacki-Suede-- Was that you at Zephyrhills with the 22 car? I was there but I did not get a chance to talk to anyone with that car. Do you know how the Man is doing that got hurt?
    Jim Graybeal

14. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Jim, I was not at Zephyhills, but many of my friends from the Daytona area were. I heard about the accident/injury. I'll check on the latest tomorrow and let you know. I assume, other then the injury, everyone had a good time?

Blacki-Suede

15. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Chuck Prichard now has this Trevis sprinter that was my dad's first sprint car. I ran my first race in this car. Chuck is from Plant City, and was probly at Zepherhills. I'll be watching for more info in what happened, and if the accident was Chuck's. By the way, the first time I drove this car was just for warmups at Orange County, N.Y., later that night Bill Wentz, JR. drove it to victory over second place finisher, Fla.'s Wayne Reutimann.
    [​IMG]

16. jimg12

jimg12

The accident was in a midget. I think the driver in on last month's VOT racing mag. He had 2 midgets there, both 60's but the one he got upsidedown in was a crossfire I think. It ran real strong and was loud. One was #14 and the other was #41 and were painted simular, I think his name was Dick. I think they were letting them run to hard and he got his left front over a guys right rear, looked bad. Hope he is doing OK. They had a lot of cars there and the track was nice. I looked on DAARA's website and they have already updated their rules as to safety rules. I hope this does not change cost of insurance or we might not get to run our cars if it gets to high.
    Jim Graybeal---Right now in Lakeport, Fl.

17. draginsteel

draginsteel

That's it thanks! Did you ever stop in? Did the make Sprint Cars there, sell parts?

18. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I was there several times when the family was picking up parts. He was a Kurtis dealer, mainly midget stuff, but he dealt in everything. He had a couple midgets hanging from the ceiling, I think one was in the Abbot and Costello movie...Buck Privates may have been in the title.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

20. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Thanks for the info, Jim. I've only met Chuck over the phone but it still worried me that he may have been hurt. I don't want it to sound like I'm not concerned for eveyone's safety,but the car gives me a conection to Chuck.

21. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Jonny Paul I beleve also had some Indy and I beleve one of his drivers was Paul Russo who was driving the Indy car Tony Bettenhausen was killed in when testing it out for Paul.

22. nexxussian

nexxussian

Hey Rootie, I have Midget Car Maniacs, somewhere. I have to get someone to transfer it to a format I can watch (I haven't found our projector yet, I know we didn't throw it away, but:confused:).

23. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I just took several weeks of televised ascot sprints from the early 80's to walgreens for conversion to dvd.(still some of the best racing ever) Might want to see if they can convert your movie. I'll let you know how it turns out. It might even be time for the h.a.m.b. movie exchange program. I had a couple copies done , due back today.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thats cool, should be a hoot, this is about all I've seen of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WjW7Gs1DhQ

Typical A+C : "Turn the wheel left...right?" :D

25. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

That's awsome...I never saw it. What track was that ? Maybe Gilmore ?

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I was wondering that myself, Gilmore would be likely, if not, maybe Carrell???

27. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

There's a company in Indianapolis who will convert your film to a DVD, and do it for free if you let them keep the film. Check on Trackforum.com. They're a sponsor.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I believe you are correct. Here's a pic of Henry Banks at Gilmore 1950, while not exactly the same as the film, the score board gives it away.

Attached Files:

29. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Johnny Pawl was not the chief mechanic on Doug Stearly's car in 1961, that Tony B crashed. That would have been Ken Hickey. Yes Paul Russo had driven for Pawl, but about everybody in the midwest had. Pawl did wrench some Indy cars though.