Register now to get rid of these ads!

Window tint in a can

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mark Yac, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Back in the sixties there was a spray-on window tint around. You would spray it across the top of the window on the inside, then feed the run till it made it all the way down. It worked pretty good for stockers or M/P cars that had to have glass windows.
    Anybody remember it? Has anybody tried such a thing with candy and clear?

2. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

I know that someone still sells a spray can tint. My buddy used it to tint his tail lights on his car.

3. overkillphil

overkillphil

It's called VHT Nightshades Spray Tint. Most people use transparent colored vinyl to recreate the old look.

4. craftscustoms

craftscustoms

I remember it well. My dad bought a 50 chevy pickup when we got back from four years in England. The windows were tinted blue, and yes they sprayed it on till it ran all the way down. Unfortunatly they didn't mask anything off. It was a huge mess. I haven't seen it for sale in many years, but I really haven't been looking.

Jerrybigbird likes this.

5. When I bought my 55 basket case back in 72, I pulled the window garnish mouldings off and you could see the where the windows had been sprayed blue in it's past life.

6. Yup, you had to let it run down inside the door or rear panel, or catch it with masking paper.
    Coming to our race next month?

7. Testors candy red model paint really livens up those old tail light lenses, especially when they've been Arizona for 40-50 years

8. Testors made a "window tint" color I used once or twice back in the day.

9. Weasel

Weasel

I had forgotten about that stuff - brings back memories. But for tail light lens I use red Dykem layout fluid from the tool store.

10. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

My friend owns a tint shop, he says he can buy any color tint, i told him i may want it for my A, he thought it was retarded but hes not into "old shit". His site is koolkustumz.com if you want to get ahold of him, names jason, good guy to deal with. Or if anything he could lead you in the way to get it.

11. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Yes worked very well after you got done it was like you sniffed a whole case of glue!!!! huh what was that you said?? ahhhh nothing.
    I got a headache and my eyes hurt what time is it????
    Boy those were the days. Midnight blue Impala SS blue tinted windows.

12. Kustomz

Kustomz

I tried it on my first vehicle back when I was 16. I'll just say it wasn't a pretty sight when I got done. Rates up there with that hair in a spray can...lol!

13. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

By the time you were done with the masking you could film tint it 2 or 3 times. Which will probably be required for a first effort unless it's completely flat glass.

google it to find a couple how-to tint writeups. Not that hard, just takes patience.

14. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

anyone seem yellow tint lately ?

my friend tinted his drag car windows yellow back in the 70s because that was the cool sunglass color that summer :)

Beaulieu

15. Speedway sold 500,000 cans of it in one year! According to there 50th anniversary catalog. Wow, just imagine if they only made 50cents per can that year!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

16. Oh yeah, that brings back memories! Koff, Koff, Hack, Hack.

Every kid in the area that drove a station wagon had to try tinting the rear windows; mine actually turned out OK.

17. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Scratched up easily..uneven tint..runs..sticky goo in the door panels..
    Real nasty on curved rear glass..

Not one of my favorite early projects..