Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh No!!! It Can't Be...Another Gasser Build? Yup, 1961 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BloodyKnuckles, Feb 10, 2009.

1. No.

I was thinking black walls too.

I can dig it!!

BloodyKnuckles

2. I went to the shop today and pressure washed to 215 and the 401. They were nasty;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the shitty pics.

What a difference!

I am so ready to get the 401 started so I can remove it. I will be there again tomorrow to try to get it running.

I'll keep you posted.

BloodyKnuckles

3. doc's

doc's

Looking good.....p'shop pic looks awesome!!

4. The photoshop looks bitchin'...that'll scare the kiddies in their little rice burners

5. Great looking project, do you expect to have it done this year, kind of like, by Labor day week end? I'd love to see this thing roll through at the Drive Invasion...

6. Ron had to have it at Dixie Fried....he promised!

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

At the rate that this dude works, he'll have it done by Easter!

He just called me and said that got the 401 running today!

8. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

You should get it ready for Heavy Rebel weekend in Winston Salem we will be up there from Texas, and I would love to see that

9. Damn right!!

I got that bitch running! I can't be any happier. Now deconstruction can begin. I'll have that drivetrain out in no time.

I will have to redo the heads as I believe they need to be addressed. The trans works great from a quick run through. Carb sucks, starter works, fuel pump works. Runs pretty damn smooth.

I better have it done by then. Gotta take advantage of the only positive of the shitty economy, time.

BloodyKnuckles

10. It should be ready by then.

How's that Boogie Van??

BloodyKnuckles

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You didn't the new shoes on the Boogie Van yet Ron? Fantastical!

12. Now that motherfucker is bad!!

BloodyKnuckles

13. A bit of an update.

I spent a few hours today and removed the big rear axle. When I say big I mean BIG! The tag on the side says limited slip, oh yeah!

Then I picked up some more springs and stock style bracketry from a friend so I am ready to start the fabricating.

I actually thought of setting up the rear with coils and links similar to a stock set up but with longer, beefier arms. Not sure exactly what I will do just yet.

Here are a few pics of the Skylark's axle and the Electra's axle for comparison;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One more thing. I may be able to run the Buick finned aluminum drums on the rear. I'll keep you posted.

Fun, fun, fun!

BloodyKnuckles

14. fitty_2

fitty_2

Those baby pin-head aluminum 215's are nice, had something like that in my '63 Cutlass, & it worked pretty well. The olds auto trans was smooth too when it was working correctly. A cool small V8 for a roadster, or older import swap. I also heard these engines were popular in circle track racing once.

15. I ended up selling the 215 to a guy who is putting it in a '69 MGB-GT. These are popular swaps in the small cars. It really wakes them up and makes them a blast to drive.
    The downfall is the transmissions that are available...not many. Adapters cost a few bucks but are well worth the money.

These engines are so light we loaded it up by hand. Cool:cool:.

BloodyKnuckles

16. gotta keep that 3rd link on the rear....looks cool!

17. I did a bit of figuring today and have decided to run the coil springs instead of leafs.

A couple things that I found neat was the coil spring location is exactly the same at 38 1/2" center and located in the same location on the frame, cool. The pan hard bar bracket is the exact width from both cars.

So what I have planned are lower links that are close to 6' long and will be drilled and sleeved every 4". The upper link will have an adjustable frame mount. The upper link from the factory is adjustable for length to adjust the pinion angle. I will reuse this arm. The lower links will attach to the trans crossmember.

The thing I like about all of this is that it would appear that some one took a fullsize Buick's drivetrain and shoehorned it into a Skylark. I'm thinking that this may have been common practice back in the early days.

All of this thinking has cut my fabrication in half, easily. I am so ready to start I can taste it. I'm hoping by the end of this weekend I'll have the rear end set up.

We'll see.

BloodyKnuckles

18. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

Go man goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

19. sinticket

sinticket

Hey TUBS...get off the internet and get back in the shop..or someone might steal your donuts!!!!

20. You have alot of room to talk.

BloodyKnuckles

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  21. 69fury

69fury

nice photochop and great project. I do have a shot of a pal's Special that shows what they look like low (different direction tho)

[​IMG]

22. That's pretty radical. Thanks!

BloodyKnuckles

23. His car is already half built and he barely started working on it... he can afford some HAMB time, especially if it's for updates on this build...

24. Thanks dude!! You tell that SOB! I need a brake.

But while I'm on here do you think I have stopped working on it? I don't think so. I have scoured this damn site for as much info as I probably could handle and I'm still looking for more.

I love this damn place!

BloodyKnuckles

25. Looks like good progress. I love it!!
    Can't wait to see more.

26. Looking good . Can't wait to check it out

27. sinticket

sinticket

...stealing donuts

28. I picked up my steel today for the lower links and upper link mount. I was planning on fabricating the lowers today but plans got rearranged.

Hopefully tomorrow.

BloodyKnuckles

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know you have to go see Bon Jovi and Cher tonight but don't make it a late night and start first thing in the morning If you need two extra paws let me know!

30. Dude, why tell everyone?? Dick.

BTW... are you available tomorrow?

BloodyKnuckles