Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh how I love my Banger- FEBUARY banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 1, 2009.

1. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

just give me the guys number, will save you from making a horrible mistake with an older carburetor. ;)

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope that is it. The car is on the NWVS site, maybe you could prod them.

3. It must be new- I just went through their "inventory" a few days ago:D!

4. Michael_e

Michael_e

Even at double that price, it would still be a great deal. If they are a pair of sequencially numbered carbs, that adds more value to the deal. And as was said, size does matter! Even if they were the small A size, they would look great and add some zip to a warmed up banger. A good range for one A size complete with a good air horn and complete choke mechanism would be around $175 to $250. A complete DD could be $800 and higher. There is a guy on EBAY that sells rebuild kits for both the S and the SR styles. I don't think he is on the HAMB unfortunately. Make sure you check the fuel bowl serial info as it will tell you whether it is an up or downdraft type of carb. The first(s) letter is the carb size - A or AA, the next letter is the up or downdraft character - U or D, then the serial nbr.
    Hope this helps.

5. Yes, helps a ton! I'll check em out tomarow on my lunch :D

6. Hey furbiscuit,

I found this webpage the other day:

http://www.myindycar.com/pictures.html

More pics of this :D:

[​IMG]

7. I talked to the guy with the Winfield carbs today, he now said he wants to get online and see what they are going for. So, the deal will probably go shithouse for me :D He'll see restored DD's goin for 800.00 or whatever and think he has a gold mind. He said call him Monday, so thats what I'll do!
    Thanks all.

8. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Ok, sorry to drag this on, but I have more info. I went by the carb shop on my lunch. He found the other carb, however it is not the same. The first one is real nice, says "S-1-B", along with "WINFIELD MODEL SR" and serial number SRBU2296. I would assume this would be a "B" carb, and the "U" would mean updraft?

The second carb says "WINFIELD MODEL S", along with S-1-BB, and on the airhorn "8-41-CF". Serial number SBBD3833.
    I would assume this is a "BB" carb, and is a downdraft hence the "D" in the serial number. The B carb is super nice, the BB carb has a bad float and missing a bit of the linkage. He is a nice guy and asked if I could find out what they are worth. I have no clue, what would you guys pay for em??

10. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Well, I am getting a little antsy, I have pretty everthing lined up to put the engine in the car but am waiting on the flywheel. I let my restoration dad know of my project so if I can't get the flywheel machined here locally I can travel to my folks and use his big lathe and do it myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Tidy. What's the spec?

12. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

You should speak to Just Plain Bill about Winfield carbs, really knows his onions. That said you're right with you assumptions over identification.

As for value, I did a quick search on here and could only find a couple of Winfield carbs listed for sale, here's the links.

www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254751
    www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212977

In my opinion a complete B/BB is worth in the region of $300-$600. The upper end being for a known quantity, rebuilt carb.

Good luck with 'em, they're a real nice carb and give great performance and reliability. As a matter of interest I recently bought a rebuild kit of the guy on eBay and they are real nice.

13. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Great read... I love 'em.

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a very nice, complete, rebuilt SR BB D, at turlock with manifold for an "A" for 450.00. (350.00 just for the carb would not be hugely insulting). For the less complete one, 250.00 if it has an air horn, and most of the body and linkages. But you can take those prices and go +/- 50%, depending on the weather.

15. flyin-t

flyin-t

If I ever build another A or B banger this is the carb I'm going to run. It's way to big to run on a T engine. Winfield Model N, 2" sidedraft.

By the way Dan Iandola is almost done with his new book on Ed Windield. If you ever get a chance to buy one of his books on George Riley you should, if you're into bangers and stuff. They pop up on ebay from time to time.

16. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that rocks! (and so does the book, great reading). I have been running an 1 3/4" Master, horrid around town, but at FULL CHAT it does everything you dreamed of.

I really like what Ed Winfield did with the fuel spray bar on the N/V carbs, by drilling the holes horizontally, he used the airflow passing over them to artifically create a venturi.

17. flyin-t

flyin-t

fur b
    what's a 1 3/4 Master? Barrel valve carb like the N?

You know the barrel valve set up was Winfields favorite. He thought it was far superior to the later style like the SR and so on and used it on all his early carbs, the M, N, V. But he infringed on someone else's carb, in Europe I think, and had to change his design. Hopefully the correct info will be in Dans book because I'm sure my version is focked.
    Dan was part of a group of roaming banger guys that would make the treks to Las Vegas in their A bones to hang out with Winfield after he moved out there and sit around and let the master talk and tell stories. I believe Dan finally got a copy of one of the recordings made back then. Kong Jackson had several recordings, Chris Egsgaard too. Egsgaard was famous for flying his model T powered air plane to different meets, among other crazy things. He was also a Winfield guru.

18. I'm not sure about the demand for updraft carburetors as you don't see many manifolds available. They work quite well, same as the down drafts. Wes Cooper ran updrafts on his dragster that ran 138 Mph or something like that. There seem to be quite a few downdraft manifolds by Winfield for the "B" and "BB" size. Odd brands available for other sizes. Dan Price made single downdraft manifolds for most sizes for years but they are no longer listed on his site. I think you are right on the price but there is always that deal. A few years back I heard about an old timer selling his parts and when I called he said he had a pair of Winfield carburetors. I drove down and he met me and said someone had swiped one of the carburetors. He showed 3 "BB"SR D's and an "A"SR D, the "A" and one of the "BB"'s were complete but 2 of the "BB"'s were missing air horns and linkage. He asked me if I would consider $100.00 a fair price for all and I said yes. I also bought a Winfield head with extra large valve chambers that he said he ran in an engine in the early 40's and he ran 114 at the lakes. Might have been a case of "The older I get, the faster I went"
    He had a roadster/sports car built in England that had 35 Ford running gear, said the chassis was shipped to England and the body's installed. He said the one he had was built for Clark Gable. The car was complete but had been stored outside and engine and trans were out but he said were in a shed. I also bought a 38 Lincoln side shift for $100.00. He had 2 clean Stromberg 97's and when I asked the price he said $25.00 when I said okay I found he meant $25.00 for the pair. The deals are still around hiding in sheds and barns.

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, the Master is a barrel valve. You know, I am going to be bored tonight, think I am going to sit home, put on some records and do write up on the Master with some pics, think it would be something cool for here.

I will go and find my Winfield V and do a comparison too.

Those recordings would be great to hear.

20. 51 mercules

51 mercules

The Riley book is a good one.There is a Shop in Camarillo,Ca that has all the remaining books that he bought from DAn Iandola.I cant remember the name of the shop.I was visiting with an old hot rodder a couple of weeks ago named George Butler who was real good friends with George Riley and he used to have Riley molds and cast and machined Riley Heads in his little shop and a lot of the pictures in the Riley book were taken in his shop.

21. flyin-t

flyin-t

Yeah, do it. I'd like to read about it. What kind of records are you going to put on?

22. flyin-t

flyin-t

George Butler is a legend among banger guys. I think he also cast up Rajos back in the day. Dan was just telling me some stories about Butler about a month ago. I didn't know that he was still alive until he told me about the government taking his land away for another use. Freeway I believe.

You know Dan also owned the Rufi car at one time after it was crashed. 'Course Dan ran a Ford in it and not a Chevy.

23. 51 mercules

51 mercules

George is doing pretty good.He gave a tour of shop showed me his Miller and neat old banger stuff.George used have a line of Vulcan Speed Equipment he made for Rick Jame's shop in colton Here's an old catalog.

Attached Files:

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

since Miller was the epitome of socal, probably going with some fine socal sounds (of slightly different era), Sublime.

25. flyin-t

flyin-t

sublime.
    My kid likes them. I'm more of a fan of another local socal band, the Blasters.

Or any surf stuff.

51 mercules, thanks for the old catalog. I guess he didn't do the Rajo head. Must be thinking of someone else.

26. volken65

volken65

See under Fig.22. - "The rear end of the frame can be lowered by cutting off the side members just in front of the rear cross-member, and using steel forgings as shown in Fig. 22."

Does anyone still make these? A while back at LACR there was someone selling these for "T" frames, and they looked like repros but i've never seen any again... anyone have any info on these?

27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

28. flyin-t

flyin-t

29. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

If you look close, they were what your local blacksmith in those days would knock up in 1/2 hour for 50 cents. Basically a peice of 2"x1/2" strap heated and bent. the ones n the post above would give me more confidence . it's your backside that would be above it...:D:D

30. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

quote=wak53;3451436]Happy New Year
    I finished my Flywheel today took me 8 solid hours on my freinds lathe not a big lathe had to take 0.020" at a time got it to about 23 pounds going fast must of been a slow process back in the day, I am very happy its done now I can get on with fitting the 39 brakes.
    WES[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/quote]

How would you rebalance the flywheel after cutting it down? Would a normal machine shop be able to do it?
    Tad