Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trailer from a '49 rear end?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmschristiansen, Feb 21, 2009.

1. jmschristiansen

jmschristiansen

I have the rear end out of my '49 chevy fleetline, it is a torque tube, and was rebuilt by the previous owner, 20 years ago, but has no miles on it since then (divorce, storage, etc). I have replaced it with the drivetrain from a '69 camaro, and am looking for options on what to do with the original parts.

If I cut the torque tube off, can I use the rear end to build a trailer? How are the axles held in, could I remove the 3rd member as well?

From what I have seen, these things aren't worth much, and I would much rather put it to use than scrap it.

Thanks,

James C.

2. R Pope

R Pope

The axles are held in with horseshoe clips, the center section has to be left in.

3. jmschristiansen

jmschristiansen

Thanks R.

I lived in Lloydminster 6 months, saw a little bit of Saskatchewan. Liked it up there.

4. Why not put the tongue on the torque tube? I've seen trailers built similarly from regular axles in the past.

5. jmschristiansen

jmschristiansen

Thanks Rusty,

That would tie my hitch directly to the axle with no benefit of a suspension. Also, the tube isn't long enough for what I have planned.